Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

I feel like we have this discussion every week, but like them or not, the insiders (not the fake Twitter accounts but the ones currently being discussed) do indeed know things, and to deny is it simply delusional given their track records. You can dislike them or the way they present info, but you're in denial if you're acting like they don't have any info to begin with. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I feel like we have this discussion every week, but like them or not, the insiders (not the fake Twitter accounts but the ones currently being discussed) do indeed know things, and to deny is it simply delusional given their track records. You can dislike them or the way they present info, but you're in denial if you're acting like they don't have any info to begin with. 

Their information is no better than the source of that information. The source of that information, ultimately, was the people in a franchise who don't understand baseball free agency or player values. The same people who were shocked yesterday. So they absolutely knew things - they knew the same stuff that Rick Hahn was selling, they just believed it and pushed it.

• Like 2

Given the sense of desperation that Sox management must feel, at this point, Boras will attempt to use that, as leverage. The last thing that Hahn should do is declare their interest in pursuing him. That would only make failure to close yet another deal, completely untenable. The smarter thing is to refrain from expressing any intentions. When the time comes, it is almost certain that Boras will approach the Sox and give them a chance to top the Phillies' offer. Let's hope that the front office and ownership will be prepared to do it right, this time. The one potential positive here is that the Phillies may be the only other serious suitor. Do you guys think that the Giants are serious? The latest I read on MLB Traderumors. com is that they are only interested in offering a short term contract.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Given the sense of desperation that Sox management must feel, at this point, Boras will attempt to use that, as leverage. The last thing that Hahn should do is declare their interest in pursuing him. That would only make failure to close yet another deal, completely untenable. The smarter thing is to refrain from expressing any intentions. When the time comes, it is almost certain that Boras will approach the Sox and give them a chance to top the Phillies' offer. Let's hope that the front office and ownership will be prepared to do it right, this time. The one potential positive here is that the Phillies may be the only other serious suitor. Do you guys think that the Giants are serious? The latest I read on MLB Traderumors. com is that they are only interested in offering a short term contract.

Why would you choose the White Sox over the Phillies, though?

Just compare the players they've brought in this offseason, versus our load of veteran crap.

In fact, Harper would have even less incentive to play with Manny's buddies, in all likelihood.  He'd think it was a total joke that a big league club tried to recruit a guy's friends in order to get him to sign a contract for less money.  That reeks of desperation to a star athlete like Harper.

He's already familiar with the National League East....unless he was going to the Cubs or the Dodgers (closer to his Vegas home), there's just no compelling reason why Harper would choose Chicago.

At the very least, he'd be on non-competitive teams for two seasons (now we ALL have to assume there's just no way we get an impact FA next off-season), versus being right in the thick of it from the very beginning in an exciting and competitive AL East.

If you had to choose between half your season in NY, Miami, Atlanta and his old stomping grounds in our nation's capital...who in God's green earth would choose cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City (a great city for suburban working parents, and the Plaza's cool, but C'MON!!!) and Minnesota (another NICE city, but it's NOT Vegas, most assuredly).

Line up those four cities next to each other...it just doesn't compute.

At all.

PS  But we had the best PowerPoint/Video Display Board approach...YAY!

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would you choose the White Sox over the Phillies, though?

Just compare the players they've brought in this offseason, versus our load of veteran crap.

In fact, Harper would have even less incentive to play with Manny's buddies, in all likelihood.  He'd think it was a total joke that a big league club tried to recruit a guy's friends in order to get him to sign a contract for less money.  That reeks of desperation to a star athlete like Harper.

He's already familiar with the National League East....unless he was going to the Cubs or the Dodgers (closer to his Vegas home), there's just no compelling reason why Harper would choose Chicago.

At the very least, he'd be on non-competitive teams for two seasons (now we ALL have to assume there's just no way we get an impact FA next off-season), versus being right in the thick of it from the very beginning in an exciting and competitive AL East.

If you had to choose between half your season in NY, Miami, Atlanta and his old stomping grounds in our nation's capital...who in God's green earth would choose cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City (a great city for suburban working parents, and the Plaza's cool, but C'MON!!!) and Minnesota (another NICE city, but it's NOT Vegas, most assuredly).

Line up those four cities next to each other...it just doesn't compute.

At all.

I think you're spot on if money is all the same. But if Sox are at 10/325 while everyone else is 10/300, there's no way he turns it down.

Having said that, it will never happen. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Harper's love for Chicago and disdain for Philadelphia are each quite well-known

True, which is why Jerry, Hahn, and Kenny can fix everything with one move, win back all of the pissed off fans, and bring an entire brand to the Sox.  Unfortunately, I have no confidence in them making this move.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Harper is in trouble. Phillies didnt think manny was worth 300 million and wouldnt up their offer meaning they didnt think he was close. Do they really think Harper is worth 50+ million more? Boras might have fucked himself. Think its gonna take a lot of deferred money to get north of 300 million like he wants.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harper is in trouble. Phillies didnt think manny was worth 300 million and wouldnt up their offer meaning they didnt think he was close. Do they really think Harper is worth 50+ million more? Boras might have fucked himself. Think its gonna take a lot of deferred money to get north of 300 million like he wants.

It certainly seems that way, but we've all thought that in the past and somehow it always works out for him. If the Sox (and a colossal IF at that) wanted to try for Harper, now is the time to sneak in and try to hammer something out. Can't see it happening though. The FO has given up.

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It certainly seems that way, but we've all thought that in the past and somehow it always works out for him. If the Sox (and a colossal IF at that) wanted to try for Harper, now is the time to sneak in and try to hammer something out. Can't see it happening though. The FO has given up.

Yes. They have given up undoubtedly. They are 100% out on Harper. Which is why Boras is in trouble because there's no one left. San Diego? Come on. Washington is out. Giants? No way 10 for 300 but I guess I said that before.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 hours ago, iamshack said:

As I said, your narrative is looking up atm. 

And should the Sox sign neither player, I shall be very critical of the FO. 

However, this isn’t over yet. 

Shack, it's over. I saw a report from a reputable journalist (can't remember who but it wasn't one of the hacks) that said the white sox won't sign machado if he touches the bottom of harper's market..which turned out to be true. I'm sure "trying" means that they offered the same deal to harper as a hail marry

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think their attendance will be substantially worse than last season going forward. They're going to lose another 5-10% this year and yesterday was probably the least fun day to be a White Sox season ticket rep since whenever the last time was that they laid off season ticket reps, so 2020 will be even worse. Even if they're moving in the right direction in 2020, it feels broken right now. The park will not be packed, and they will not be "more aggressive signing free agents" they'll do the same crap as this year. 

I thought you were an asshole before the machado saga. Now, I agree with everything you say

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I thought you were an asshole before the machado saga. Now, I agree with everything you say

I thought he had valid points, but threw a bit of hyperbole in there. Balta and I were pretty much in agreement in Oct. 2016. I decided to give the FO a pass for their previous fuck up and Balta didn't.  It turns out I was the sucker. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Anyone with a sliver of hope that we sign harper is at the point of naiveness where it's scary

The Sox are not out on Harper. I don't think its likely but there is definite interest.

I don't think we will hear much about this though. If we thought that the Manny negotiations were kept under wrap these will be even more so. After this epic embarrassment any further potential deals will be under double secret probation.

4 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

The Sox are not out on Harper. I don't think its likely but there is definite interest.

I don't think we will hear much about this though. If we thought that the Manny negotiations were kept under wrap these will be even more so. After this epic embarrassment any further potential deals will be under double secret probation.

Probation?? Ok master.

3 hours ago, NotHahn said:

Sorry NotHahn but you are NotRight.  WhiteSox are more likely to sign Gio or Keuchel than Harper.  I think they will sign one of them in the next week.

Sox valued Manny more than Harper and they wouldn’t go higher that $250 million.  They have no shot at Bryce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1