Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

4 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Fangraphs had an article saying Harper might not have a deal to match Machado. It basically said that since Harper and Machado are projected to be so similar with Machado maybe being a bit better, teams' valuations of Harper are probably below Machado and the Phillies said Machado went above their valuation so they didn't match the Padres offer. If that is the case, then they are likely offering less than $300m, the Nationals moved on from their $300m offer, the Sox said we were out, and the Giants seem to only want him on a short term deal. So they said Boras might try to save face and get a record AAV instead of breaking $300 if those offers aren't out there. Honestly, a deal like we offered Machado might actually get it done for Harper.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/it-seems-unlikely-scott-boras-has-a-300-million-bid-for-bryce-harper/

Man.. when will people accept that the white Sox arent in on Bryce Harper?

Hey guys, long time lurker here, first time poster.  Thanks for keeping me entertained throughout all this nonsense.  Tuesday was probably the worst day I've ever had for being a Sox fan, absolutely gut wrenching.  I have no sauces (sorry)...but just wanted to say I really hope the reports aren't true that we are out on Bryce.  That would make absolutely no sense to me.  Go "all in" on Manny (except not really, obviously)...but then just be like, "nah" on Bryce?  That doesn't add up, and I hope that the backlash they've received over the past 3 days changes their thought process there if they were indeed, "out".  Fans have been patient for too long, and promised good things with this rebuild, and that included this off season.  I'm holding out hope that the front office realizes just how bad they need to sign Bryce.  It goes so much further than just the player that he is (which is pretty damn great)...it's about setting a tone, sending a message to your fans, and showing you are serious about winning.  Signing Bryce would absolutely change everything, and take away the pain of Tuesday instantly.  In my eyes, its the FO's last chance to show we weren't just fed lies this whole time...its time they step up, and sign Bryce.  If that means giving him 350-375 million guaranteed, then so be it.  The value he brings on his name alone I feel would be worth every penny and more.  Thanks again for keeping entertained....now go fucking get Bryce Harper!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

A lot of people don't like Boras, but he is our best friend right now.  He is the voice of Soxtalk haha.  Where Hahn failed, Boras is the one who is going to successfully convince Jerry to greenlight a huge offer for all of the reasons that we've been discussing for months.

Wasn't there bad blood between Reinsdorf and Boras?   Even if they do/did, money talks.  

1 minute ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I don't see Boras allowing it to happen.   If anything, he'll bring this into the regular season.  

I think he'll be in a lineup on opening day...someone will pay the ransom.  Might be a little lower than Boras expects but I think a deal will be done without Harper missing any game action.  He might miss some spring games, but I bet a player like Harper will want to get some spring time in to "get right" before the season starts.  

Just now, Superkick Party said:

Hey guys, long time lurker here, first time poster.  Thanks for keeping me entertained throughout all this nonsense.  Tuesday was probably the worst day I've ever had for being a Sox fan, absolutely gut wrenching.  I have no sauces (sorry)...but just wanted to say I really hope the reports aren't true that we are out on Bryce.  That would make absolutely no sense to me.  Go "all in" on Manny (except not really, obviously)...but then just be like, "nah" on Bryce?  That doesn't add up, and I hope that the backlash they've received over the past 3 days changes their thought process there if they were indeed, "out".  Fans have been patient for too long, and promised good things with this rebuild, and that included this off season.  I'm holding out hope that the front office realizes just how bad they need to sign Bryce.  It goes so much further than just the player that he is (which is pretty damn great)...it's about setting a tone, sending a message to your fans, and showing you are serious about winning.  Signing Bryce would absolutely change everything, and take away the pain of Tuesday instantly.  In my eyes, its the FO's last chance to show we weren't just fed lies this whole time...its time they step up, and sign Bryce.  If that means giving him 350-375 million guaranteed, then so be it.  The value he brings on his name alone I feel would be worth every penny and more.  Thanks again for keeping entertained....now go fucking get Bryce Harper!

I would think the reason they aren't in on Harper would either be the price tag, or Harper said thanks but no thanks. Bowden did say that not contending in 2019 was a deal breaker.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

I think he'll be in a lineup on opening day...someone will pay the ransom.  Might be a little lower than Boras expects but I think a deal will be done without Harper missing any game action.  He might miss some spring games, but I bet a player like Harper will want to get some spring time in to "get right" before the season starts.  

I think he'll be signed too, but I can see Boras's ego getting in the way if it isn't a big deal.  

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

I think thats why they mention him maybe switching to just getting a record AAV. Lets him say he broke a record even though its less than he wanted.

I can see that.  They may have the Giants to fall back on if that's' the case, but now are hoping for a team to step up and dish out guaranteed money long term.  

I don't disagree, but money is still king, and if for whatever reason say Philly is only willing to go 310-325....then the Sox should go 350-375...I don't think he walks away from that, even if he has the 2019 concerns.  I would think being the face of a franchise in Chicago, and an extra 25-50 million guaranteed would be pretty damn enticing. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I would think the reason they aren't in on Harper would either be the price tag, or Harper said thanks but no thanks. Bowden did say that not contending in 2019 was a deal breaker.

Yeah, I could somewhat see Bryce saying no from the start which led to them moving on to Manny. Also, if the price is 350+ then I'd be alright with them sitting it out. I don't think it gets higher than 330 though. 

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

I think he'll be signed too, but I can see Boras's ego getting in the way if it isn't a big deal.  

Oh you know it.  The whole reason why he's not signed yet is because he was waiting for Machado to go first so he could go over that with Bryce.  I actually think he got lucky that Manny reached the $300M mark.  It was looking like $260M-280M range is where it would top out there for a while.  Now he can start the bidding at $300M.  

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Could be the price tag, but I think there's very little chance that Harper said thanks but no thanks to the Sox (or any other team, contender or otherwise).  He's taking the biggest offer, whoever gives it to him.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

Oh you know it.  The whole reason why he's not signed yet is because he was waiting for Machado to go first so he could go over that with Bryce.  I actually think he got lucky that Manny reached the $300M mark.  It was looking like $260M-280M range is where it would top out there for a while.  Now he can start the bidding at $300M.  

Cant start the bidding there if no one is going there. Boras is in trouble with Harper. Teams seemed to value manny higher and he barely got 300. 

13 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Fangraphs had an article saying Harper might not have a deal to match Machado. It basically said that since Harper and Machado are projected to be so similar with Machado maybe being a bit better, teams' valuations of Harper are probably below Machado and the Phillies said Machado went above their valuation so they didn't match the Padres offer. If that is the case, then they are likely offering less than $300m, the Nationals moved on from their $300m offer, the Sox said we were out, and the Giants seem to only want him on a short term deal. So they said Boras might try to save face and get a record AAV instead of breaking $300 if those offers aren't out there. Honestly, a deal like we offered Machado might actually get it done for Harper.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/it-seems-unlikely-scott-boras-has-a-300-million-bid-for-bryce-harper/

At the end of the day, Bryce is going to get a deal larger than Stanton's (my guess is $350-$375) and we're all going to say "well of course that was going to be the final deal all along."  He's not going to end up with a number lower than Manny's.  No chance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

At the end of the day, Bryce is going to get a deal larger than Stanton's (my guess is $350-$375) and we're all going to say "well of course that was going to be the final deal all along."  He's not going to end up with a number lower than Manny's.  No chance.

I think he'll get more than Manny, but not as high as $350.  My guess would be $330.  But with Boras as his agent, who the hell knows?

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I think he'll get more than Manny, but not as high as $350.  My guess would be $330.  But with Boras as his agent, who the hell knows?

Could be.

If reports are to be believed, Harper has turned down multiple offers north of $300 recently.  My guess is that both the Phillies and Padres made offers between $300-$325.  I think Boras is looking for $350 and that someone will eventually give it to him.

5 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Yeah, Boras has worked wonders for moustakas. Boras loses sometimes. Bryce may be one of those times. I'd say Phillies go with about same as Machado.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Man.. when will people accept that the white Sox arent in on Bryce Harper?

Honestly, I agree with you.  I think they SHOULD be out at the price he's asking.  I don't think he's that good of a player.  But the shock-wave that went through this organization from top to bottom on Tuesday afternoon changed a lot of things.  It might not automatically transfer to Jerry's wallet opening wider and giving in to sign Harper, but it certainly forced the issue on self-evaluation and may have redefined their expectations a little.  Also...one thing about our FO...they are arrogant.  Especially Kenny and Jerry.  They have heard outrage from fans for years and they are used to that...but they were embarrassed on a global scale on Tuesday and things are in a real-life legitimate tailspin.  Sometimes that's what it takes to force a change.  It's looking like if anything got done (less than 1% chance), it would be a panic move, and those are the worst...but...

Scott Boras should call up Jerry right now and ask him 1 question:  How much is the opportunity worth to make Tuesday and its ramifications on the franchise for the next several years go away??

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Could be.

If reports are to be believed, Harper has turned down multiple offers north of $300 recently.  My guess is that both the Phillies and Padres made offers between $300-$325.  I think Boras is looking for $350 and that someone will eventually give it to him.

I'm not sure how much I'm buying into him turning down multiple offers.  I think if this was the case we'd be hearing more than the Giants, Phils, and Nats.  

9 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Honestly, I agree with you.  I think they SHOULD be out at the price he's asking.  I don't think he's that good of a player.  But the shock-wave that went through this organization from top to bottom on Tuesday afternoon changed a lot of things.  It might not automatically transfer to Jerry's wallet opening wider and giving in to sign Harper, but it certainly forced the issue on self-evaluation and may have redefined their expectations a little.  Also...one thing about our FO...they are arrogant.  Especially Kenny and Jerry.  They have heard outrage from fans for years and they are used to that...but they were embarrassed on a global scale on Tuesday and things are in a real-life legitimate tailspin.  Sometimes that's what it takes to force a change.  It's looking like if anything got done (less than 1% chance), it would be a panic move, and those are the worst...but...

Scott Boras should call up Jerry right now and ask him 1 question:  How much is the opportunity worth to make Tuesday and its ramifications on the franchise for the next several years go away??

I want what you're saying to be true, but is there any real reason to actually think that the front office feels embarrassed? Or that they are in a tail spin? They SHOULD be embarrassed, but what reason is there to believe that they are?

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, Boras has worked wonders for moustakas. Boras loses sometimes. Bryce may be one of those times. I'd say Phillies go with about same as Machado.

As it turns out, no one wanted Moustakas last year.  Not even the Royals wanted him.  They threw him $5 mil because they felt bad for him.

Boras wins more than he loses.  He got the Red Sox to add $10 million to the offer to JD Martinez last year when literally no one else other than the Red Sox had been connected to him for months.

When it's finally go time on Bryce, someone is going to come in big.