Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Having Bryce Harper in SD is a loss for MLB. 

Nice place, but not all that marketable and West Coast. As big of a starTrout is, if he played east he would be even bigger. 

MLB doesn’t need its biggest names playing games when most of the leagues fan base has hit their fart sacks.

Or at least put him together with Trout, Ohtani and Pujols...

The problem with this theory is that GSW is must-watch NBA TV, and the Lakers have LeBron and could add Davis, so he simply can’t be on a boring team that’s not in contention.  The Padres will get there eventually, but they will always be outgunned financially by the Dodgers and Giants.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

🤔...let’s see here, the Sox have little to no debt and have a sweet lease arrangement with the IFSA to pay for stadium improvements.  Meanwhile, the Cubs’ ownership group has financed the purchased one of the team, ancillary assets, and significant maintance CAPEX via debt.  Yet you continue to use operating income as the be all end all.

And regardless, the ability to absorb a significant salary is far more dependent on a team’s long-term financial commitments relative to their theoretical payroll ceiling.  I can’t say this enough, but the Sox have zero long-term commitments and likely have a ~$150M payroll ceiling without a big jump in revenue.  The Cubs are more or less up against the luxury tax and their ownership group (a family trust and not a random billionaire owner willing to throw endless cash at his team) has shown zero willingness to blow out the 2nd or 3rd tier luxury tax threshold for the foreseeable future.  You can keep talking about all these revenue streams & “appreciating assets”, but if the Cubs doesn’t want to pay a luxury tax like most ownership groups (even ignoring their debt load) then it doesn’t really matter.

Your argument is flawed from both a business standpoint and a practicality standpoint.

You keep making proclamations without any backup. When I ask you a direct question, you pivot off into your personal view of how things work. Cubs are worth >$3B. To the extent there is debt due to the financing of the original purchase, its because Rickets engineered it that way. Not because he's some kind of beggar. Nonetheless, this is my last post on the matter. Its clear I am doing a poor job of expressing things to you and I'm done trying. Later

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-bryce-harper-padres-actually-192122791.html

A lot would have to go right, but a lot had to go right just for us to be in this position. The Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and others seemingly decided Harper wasn't the right move, leaving him with few appealing options. If he truly doesn't want to return to Washington D.C., it shouldn't surprise us at all that Harper is meeting with the Padres. 

The Phillies and White Sox have plenty of warts, too, so along came the Padres executives, to boast of a bright future, remind Harper that he got married at the Mormon Temple in San Diego, tell him how short their trip to Las Vegas was. 
If the Padres are really smart, they'll walk into that meeting and simply take out their weather apps. On the last day of January, it's 63 degrees in San Diego. That's as strong a reason as any to sign somewhere.

51 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-bryce-harper-padres-actually-192122791.html

A lot would have to go right, but a lot had to go right just for us to be in this position. The Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and others seemingly decided Harper wasn't the right move, leaving him with few appealing options. If he truly doesn't want to return to Washington D.C., it shouldn't surprise us at all that Harper is meeting with the Padres. 

The Phillies and White Sox have plenty of warts, too, so along came the Padres executives, to boast of a bright future, remind Harper that he got married at the Mormon Temple in San Diego, tell him how short their trip to Las Vegas was. 
If the Padres are really smart, they'll walk into that meeting and simply take out their weather apps. On the last day of January, it's 63 degrees in San Diego. That's as strong a reason as any to sign somewhere.

"And hope that Bryce Harper does not yet know how to read a calendar, such that he does not realize there are no 3 hour outdoor games played in Chicago in January. Because the person who wrote this piece does not understand that concept."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"And hope that Bryce Harper does not yet know how to read a calendar, such that he does not realize there are no 3 hour outdoor games played in Chicago in January. Because the person who wrote this piece does not understand that concept."

I’m guessing it’s a writer who only has experienced Midwestern winters tangentially and thinks 1) everyone in America aspires to live in Southern California and 2) players don’t actually have hometowns and are stuck in their playing cities throughout the offseason, and 3) Spring Training doesn’t also take place in a warm weather setting.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m guessing it’s a writer who only has experienced Midwestern winters tangentially and thinks 1) everyone in America aspires to live in Southern California and 2) players don’t actually have hometowns and are stuck in their playing cities throughout the offseason, and 3) Spring Training doesn’t also take place in a warm weather setting.

Were you here last April and May? Spring didn't really start until May 20th or so. It might as well have been February in April and most of May. It fucking snowed on like May 10th or something ridiculous like that. A year or two ago it snowed on May 17th. In 2010, it was 85 degrees on St. Patrick's day. With the new extreme weather patterns, I'd stay the fuck away from anywhere north of 35 N latitude....LOL. Otherwise, you're liable to play some really fucking cold games in April and May, as well as in October if your team makes it that far. I really think that MLB should mandate retractable roofs on all new stadium construction. It will eventually eliminate rainouts, and make it so that games are comfortable for everyone early in the season, especially since the season starts during the last week of March now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/sd-sp-miller-padres-manny-machado-bryce-harper-20190203-story.html

This is your chance, Padres. This is the moment, if you land Manny Machado or Bryce Harper, to show a grumbling fan base with the patience of craft beer-drinking saints that things truly are different.

This is your opportunity, your gaping doorway, to trample the “no way they’ll sign someone like that” pessimism that lingers over the franchise.

There are plenty of your fans — those still buying tickets, those who surrendered already and those weighing their next discretionary-spending moves — who simply refuse to buy into this long organizational rebuild until they see the big spend on a truly big name.

Those are words. In truth, words Padres fans have heard. Show them that you want to shake up their dusty reality and shatter their assumptions. Make it clear, after smartly constructing an unmatched farm system, that this process sincerely owns a finish line.

The Padres also are talking again with the Marlins about J.T. Realmuto, arguably the best catcher in the game. He’s the complete package that Austin Hedges isn’t and likely never will be. The Padres recently told the Union-Tribune they ducked out of discussions because the asking price was too high, but now claim Miami has circled back.

“It went silent,” a source with direct knowledge said. “Now it started up again. Things change.”

No target, though, feels more important or makes more sense than Machado.

Rarely do you find someone so talented, so young, so contract-controllable at the position you direly need. Word came from Machado’s camp, a highly-placed source said, that he’s willing to play third base rather than his preferred spot at shortstop — opening the door for the eventual arrival of Fernando Tatis Jr.

Those whispers about potential character issues?

A source said the Padres “wouldn’t pursue him” if they thought those reached any kind of concerning level. Plus, if Hosmer is the clubhouse leader the teams claims him to be and pays him to be, he’s the perfect teammate to bend Machado’s ear.

I'm at the point where you make upgrades regardless of whether or not they land Machado or Harper. You just leave open 3B and RF in case they land either. If the Sox grab an OF, it would have to be someone who can play CF and also has an arm for RF. If you're going to sign Gio Gonzalez, just do it.

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm at the point where you make upgrades regardless of whether or not they land Machado or Harper. You just leave open 3B and RF in case they land either. If the Sox grab an OF, it would have to be someone who can play CF and also has an arm for RF. If you're going to sign Gio Gonzalez, just do it. 

I think this is something that get a overlooked. Regardless of if the Sox can land a whale or not the Sox need to win games. I know Alonso and Jay aren't the sexiest additions but they will help to improve a team that won 62 games last year. 

think about it. I know it's easy to say " offer the most money" but how enticing is it to a free agent to sign with a 62 win team? Putting my biased Sox fandom aside if I were a FA I would pray a team like the Sox didn't offer the most money. 

4 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

I think this is something that get a overlooked. Regardless of if the Sox can land a whale or not the Sox need to win games. I know Alonso and Jay aren't the sexiest additions but they will help to improve a team that won 62 games last year. 

think about it. I know it's easy to say " offer the most money" but how enticing is it to a free agent to sign with a 62 win team? Putting my biased Sox fandom aside if I were a FA I would pray a team like the Sox didn't offer the most money. 

I don’t think that’s relevant. Everybody in the baseball world knows how good our farm system is, that we have a ton of up and coming talent, and that our contention window is about to open in a weak division where even the reigning champ is known to be on its way down. Remember that it was revealed that Bryce was very interested in our prospects during our meeting.

These guys are looking at our pretty bright future, not our gloomy recent past.

• Haha 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils