Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

9 minutes ago, zenryan said:

Watching Cleveland this offseason has been fascinating. 

That front office can run rings around the White Sox...not even close.

They still have a hole at catcher (Perez/Haase), which means they end up with Grandal, Puig/Peterson, Santana and huge payroll flexibility.

We might as well give them Colome, too.

Heck, they might as well sign Machado or Harper.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe I’m being naive, but it’s not like Hahn and Manny’s agent haven’t talked. I have a very hard time thinking this was done just to increase the chance by 1%. If this was any other team getting Yonder, we would have locked the thread for manny 

This last part is probably true, but also it just seems like anytime you sign family it’s just a “goodwill” gesture. The idea that this is some amazing recruiting strategy seems to overshoot it. Seems kinda desperate to me.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe I’m being naive, but it’s not like Hahn and Manny’s agent haven’t talked. I have a very hard time thinking this was done just to increase the chance by 1%. If this was any other team getting Yonder, we would have locked the thread for manny 

I agree but if means so much then why didn’t the Phillies do it? 

Just now, bmags said:

This last part is probably true, but also it just seems like anytime you sign family it’s just a “goodwill” gesture. The idea that this is some amazing recruiting strategy seems to overshoot it. Seems kinda desperate to me.

Thought the same until I saw that video. Yonder seems like his mentor. 

1 minute ago, G&T said:

I agree but if means so much then why didn’t the Phillies do it? 

The Sox have room for him. The Phillies, not so much.

Hahn hasn’t shown he is a great GM, but he is a bright guy. To think they just made this trade just  hoping it may move the needle with Machado would be hard to believe. IMO, if this doesn’t work, they should be banned from playing anything but circus music at GRF in 2019.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, username said:

This also saves the Sox $7-$8 million if Abreu is traded, allows them to get prospect or ML value (if Abreu can still net it) and who knows, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that he produces similar value to Abreu. 

How would dumping Abreu for a B prospect and a lesser hitter than Palka help to secure Machado?   

That would mean the majority of our best hitters from what was already a pretty bad offense would be gone (Abreu, Narvaez, Davidson, Smith, Avi).

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE
  • Tony unpinned this topic