Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe I’m being naive, but it’s not like Hahn and Manny’s agent haven’t talked. I have a very hard time thinking this was done just to increase the chance by 1%. If this was any other team getting Yonder, we would have locked the thread for manny 

This is actually exactly what I was thinking.  Especially after watching that video of them training.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How would dumping Abreu for a B prospect and a lesser hitter than Palka help to secure Machado?   

That would mean the majority of our best hitters from what was already a pretty bad offense would be gone (Abreu, Narvaez, Davidson, Smith, Avi).

I’m not saying it makes us more likely to get Machado. I’m saying he wasn’t exactly a huge WAR benefit last year even being better than Yonder. 

We have no idea what Abreu can net, but if it’s better than we’re expecting (think Abrue + for a CF stopgap) then we’re potentially a better team already. And we can deploy the $7-$8 million in the market (on, say Ottavino) then we might be a better team already. 

Edited by username

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

And I’m pretty sure I jokingly said it a month ago

Good job Fathom. I would expect this will help the Sox land Machado. Why else would we acquire Alonso. Sox looking good for Manny. Hope he continues to rake if we get him.

I hope so much this is a good sign. But the anxiety you see is that the stakes come to he to be raised. And again I think it means these FAs were a huge part of their plan, and I worry what it means if they took out all the stops and missed out.

like a Tracy McGrady moment.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I hope so much this is a good sign. But the anxiety you see is that the stakes come to he to be raised. And again I think it means these FAs were a huge part of their plan, and I worry what it means if they took out all the stops and missed out.

like a Tracy McGrady moment.

Well hopefully they don’t send Yolmer Sanchez in a Benny the Bull suit to the meeting with Machado. 

• Haha 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE
  • Tony unpinned this topic