Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

1 minute ago, fathom said:

well no one will go to games this year outside of opening day, Eloy debut, Cubs games and bobblehead giveaways.  If 2019 looks like 2018, Hahn is probably fired.

And I want Rick to succeed, but yeah, he needs real progress.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here.

I'm saying the chances of signing either of the "whales" remains very slim, and the Sox have 3 1B/DH types on their roster, and they're paying at least 9MM more for that privilege. Plus, whatever you happen to think about Alex Call.

I haven't liked any of the moves made this offseason, tbh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daggins said:

I'm saying the chances of signing either of the "whales" remains very slim, and the Sox have 3 1B/DH types on their roster, and they're paying at least 9MM more for that privilege. Plus, whatever you happen to think about Alex Call.

This one move does nothing to hurt your franchise but could mean everything if it seals the deal with Machado, you do this move 10 times out of 10....go big or go home Hahn!

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Who cares about Alex Call and 9 million? Come on now.

If Alex Call could just acquire a player, then Alex Call was capable of acquiring another player that may have aligned to the Sox rebuild better, and instead we may have to use a prospect we like more than Alex Call. These aren’t just valuing whether Call will be a CFer for us, he had value that we hopefully used for attracting a player but may have used for acquiring a not very good DH.

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

Alonso + biggest contract offer is a great way to differentiate us from the Yankees & Phillies.

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

That’s not even counting Delmonico.  We already got rid of Davidson and Avi that essentially were offense-first players who fit a similar profile.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Alonso + biggest contract offer is a great way to differentiate us from the Yankees & Phillies.

Yes, if the Yankees end up offering him the most money, he's almost definitely going there.  But if they offer less years/money and the Sox/Phillies end up being equal, this is a move that absolutely helps out.

I didn't see rabbit's tweets as speaking from some kind of insider knowledge of our hopelessness but just someone frustrated with the notion that the Sox are going to be on some kind of equal footing with the Yankees/Dodgers/couple others in the pursuit of these big fish.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe the best thing is Harper to the Cubs and Machado to NYY...then the White Sox would have no choice to clean house or end up like the Redskins.

The only thing standing between that happening and the Sox current quandary is the Q trade, Robert, Madrigal and another #3 pick.

No, then they need to look to the trade market. 

Look, I get the disappointment, but they are literally doing everything they can to land one of these guys. They need to be applauded for that.

If we can’t lure these guys here, we stay the course, and we look at the trade market. If things begin to pan out with our prospects, other FA will come. Neither the Astros nor the Cubs landed some super FA to reach sustained success. It’s not a prerequisite for us to do so. 

But it would certainly help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

If Alex Call could just acquire a player, then Alex Call was capable of acquiring another player that may have aligned to the Sox rebuild better, and instead we may have to use a prospect we like more than Alex Call. These aren’t just valuing whether Call will be a CFer for us, he had value that we hopefully used for attracting a player but may have used for acquiring a not very good DH.

Hopefully this opens up more chances for Alex Call, but was he even one of the top 40 prospects in the system?

1 minute ago, iamshack said:

No, then they need to look to the trade market. 

Look, I get the disappointment, but they are literally doing everything they can to land one of these guys. They need to be applauded for that.

If we can’t lure these guys here, we stay the course, and we look at the trade market. If things begin to pan out with our prospects, other FA will come. Neither the Astros nor the Cubs landed some super FA to reach sustained success. It’s not a prerequisite for us to do so. 

But it would certainly help.

I mean, the Cubs got Lester and then got Heyward, despite Heyward bombing.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE
  • Tony unpinned this topic