Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As for the trade, why the heck not? A little repetitive with Palka, but as others have said, even if this moves our chances with Machado from 10% to 15%, why not? Palka was fun last year and all, but Alonso is a much better bet to be better next year, and we can still put Palka in a corner if need be. 

I like the move, If we strike out on the whales, you just use Alonso as a part time player. Sox have tons of payroll room, so I am not concerned about the $9M. 

Go get em Rick!

There’s clearly some cabin fever here.  For the people saying this move is awful...uhhhh, you could just trade him if Machado signs elsewhere. This is not a big deal whatsoever. 

Alonso has a career 113 wRC+ against righties with a 15.8% K rate. Alex Call was at best the 8th OF prospect in the White Sox farm system.

I don't understand the hate some of you guys (a lot of you guys before the WSD post) have for this move. The White Sox traded an extremely fungible asset for a competent big leaguer. Sure, Alonso is redundant on this roster with Delmonico and Palka already on it, but he's more proven than either of those guys and none of the three really have any upside left to explore.

This deal isn't even official yet. While it doesn't seem too likely there could be cash coming back to the Sox with Alonso. Even if there isn't this doesn't reach the levels of calling Hahn the worst GM in history or some kind of black mark on the team that reeks of desperation. That it happens to put a check mark in the "Pro" column for Machado when he decides to sign is gravy. Even if that relationship is the meat of the deal it's still Salisbury steak and not something rotting in the back of the fridge you forgot to throw out two weeks ago.

The McCann signing is worse than this deal, in my opinion, even when you don't consider any outside factors.

34 minutes ago, Real said:

they caught caulfield trying to breach the gates

20181215_001555.jpg

Pretty hard to do from Wuhan, China.   Unless I’m Aquaman and can just traverse the Pacific in a matter of seconds.  I could go Columbia River to the Missouri to Mississippi but then things would get complicated.  I guess Illinois River to the Des Plaines River.

28 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Alonso has a career 113 wRC+ against righties with a 15.8% K rate. Alex Call was at best the 8th OF prospect in the White Sox farm system.

I don't understand the hate some of you guys (a lot of you guys before the WSD post) have for this move. The White Sox traded an extremely fungible asset for a competent big leaguer. Sure, Alonso is redundant on this roster with Delmonico and Palka already on it, but he's more proven than either of those guys and none of the three really have any upside left to explore.

This deal isn't even official yet. While it doesn't seem too likely there could be cash coming back to the Sox with Alonso. Even if there isn't this doesn't reach the levels of calling Hahn the worst GM in history or some kind of black mark on the team that reeks of desperation. That it happens to put a check mark in the "Pro" column for Machado when he decides to sign is gravy. Even if that relationship is the meat of the deal it's still Salisbury steak and not something rotting in the back of the fridge you forgot to throw out two weeks ago.

The McCann signing is worse than this deal, in my opinion, even when you don't consider any outside factors.

McCann at least can stop the automatic doubles and triples when we’re leading the world in walks...

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Fuck, this motherfucker curses more than I fucking do.

Bring back Ozzie I'm sure they'd get along. Every other word would be fuck hahaha. 

Again, if Ozzie didnt shit on the Sox I'd be all for bringing him back because he knows how to handle his starters, unlike Renteria who is clueless. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty hard to do from Wuhan, China.   Unless I’m Aquaman and can just traverse the Pacific in a matter of seconds.  I could go Columbia River to the Missouri to Mississippi but then things would get complicated.  I guess Illinois River to the Des Plaines River.

Has the smog rendered you an imbecile?

• Haha 1

There is very little downside to this. Worst case he costs us 9 mil (8mil for 2019 plus 1 mil buy out) as if he’s under performing he doesn’t get the 500+ hits. 

Best case he shows his all star form and we use him to leverage Harper/Machado. All for the loss of Call (who Rowland loves so is prob underrated) and 9 mil. 

The upside value of this play is huge. 

Edited by Colinski

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018/12/cleveland-indians-trade-first-baseman-yonder-alonso-to-white-sox-after-acquisition-of-carlos-santana-jake-bauers.html

“Let’s see EE 2 on in scoring position..... oops another K. Alonso. Take strike 1 Take strike 2. Swing and a miss. K. Won’t miss it at all.”

According to Larry, Alonso will fit in well with Moncada.

“Lets get really crazy and trade Kluber to LA Dodgers for CF Verdugo, a virtual Brantley clone, Caleb Ferguson LH SP, and C prospect Diego Cartaya (age 17). Then trade Bauer since there's no way you will ever re-sign him to the Cardinals for OF Tyler O'Neill (RH power bat), RP Jordan Hicks (105 MPH), and a player to be named low level prospect)/ Then sign Lindor to a 10 yr, 300 Million contract extension.”

It’s kind of amusing, many of the Indians’ fans are all ready to jump ship and trade Kluber and Bauer and aren’t even sure they will pony up the money for Linder/Ramirez.  The front office has managed to cut about $27 million in 2019 payroll, and that’s before the predicted trade of Kluber.  They’ve also lost 86 out of 216 homers last year, although Santana should be good for 20-25 back.

Edited by caulfield12

• Tony unpinned this topic