Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Machado signs, it’s a great trade. Maybe one of the best in team history. If he doesn’t sign, the White Sox will be the butt of jokes.

Can you imagine if Machado signs because of this, which then causes Harper to sign? Alex Call will turn into the greatest prospect/draft pick of all time. 

(kidding, of course...well, sort of)

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Gives us a better option at 1B if we keep Abreu if he is better defensively.

Yeah the metrics rate his defense bad to average. So he isn't much of a solution there. If he regains what he was in 2017 it's a good deal for us regardless of the financials but that was a career year.

You would think this deal makes us more likely to move Abreu because Alonso doesn't really really appear to be DH material but who knows.

8 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Call is a non prospect. Good deal gives us an option at 1B if we move Abreu.

Edit: Looking at the financials 1/9 seems a little rich hope some cash is coming back

Contract Notes:

• 2020 Vesting Option includes a $1M buyout, vests with:
    550 PA in 2019 or 1,100 across 2018-19

574 plate appearances in 2018, so the Sox would be on the hook for the next year (age 33 in 2020) if he reaches just 526 this season.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Contract Notes:

• 2020 Vesting Option includes a $1M buyout, vests with:
    550 PA in 2019 or 1,100 across 2018-19

574 plate appearances in 2018, so the Sox would be on the hook for the next year (age 33 in 2020) if he reaches just 526 this season.

I bet they bring in a right-handed bat to platoon with him (Davidson back cheaper?) and he doesn't reach it.

20 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I have a hard time believing that the prospect of playing with a friend for one year and at most two years will sway a player to sign a 10-year contract with that team. 

Yes, but......the White Sox will be non contenders that first year. It should make it more bearable, before they supposedly put a winning team on the field. And, he probably has faith that Alonso will be so good, he wasn’t acquired to be a one and done. To me, the problem would be if a year from now the let Alonso and Castillo go, and the team is still stuck in the mud, then what happens? I also think they run the danger of creating cliques. The Sox clubhouse could be like high school.

And there is really very little chance they will give him the plate appearances for his option to vest, unless of course, he plays so well they want it vested.

Edited by Dick Allen

Yeah, we haven’t considered fully the effect on Abreu and whether Renteria could even handle that team...would Castillo/Alonso/Machado start clowning like Melky and Yolmer as they cruised to 68-72 wins together?

In other words, are those the best veteran leaders for Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, etc. to emulate?

27 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I have a hard time believing that the prospect of playing with a friend for one year and at most two years will sway a player to sign a 10-year contract with that team. 

That will likely have an opt-out after the 4th year. So basically half the time with the team. When we could probably be offering the highest actual per year salary on a front loaded. 

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eh,that's nothing new.

It isn’t, but it would be a whole new level. Trading for his brother in law, while helping a division rival, offering the most money, and still can’t close the deal, would have to be close to rock bottom.

Anytime you ever mentioned you were a White Sox fan to someone who was a baseball fan of any other team, there is a good chance it would be mentioned.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It isn’t, but it would be a whole new level. Trading for his brother in law, while helping a division rival, offering the most money, and still can’t close the deal, would have to be lose to rock bottom.

Being irrelevant is probably worse. At least they have to know you exist to make fun of you.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

https://www.mlb.com/news/yonder-alonso-traded-to-white-sox/c-301883238

Alonso played 138 games at first base in 2018 for the American League Central champions, but if all things stay the same with the White Sox roster makeup, he figures to split time with Jose Abreu between first and designated hitter. The move, which followed the free-agent signing of catcher James McCann on Friday, might indicate a change in direction from fellow premium Bryce Harper. Or the relationship between Machado and Alonso could be just an interesting side note.

The White Sox still have plenty of contractual room even with adding Alonso's salary, as Spotrac has them just over $33 million pre-arbitration for '19, so this trade won't influence moves in that way.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Being irrelevant is probably worse.

Than a joke?  If they miss out on both, they still will be irrelevant.But this trade actually has made me more optimistic. I am no fan of Hahn, but I don’t think he would make this trade just as part of his presentation.  He must know more than that.

There is no other explanation for this acquisition. He is short term, and his position is already covered by players better and/or younger than him.

This must  be part of the tax the Sox have to pay to keep him from the Yankees. If it is not, this winter has been a total bust for them.

Edited by Dick Allen

7 hours ago, TomPickle said:

Alonso has a career 113 wRC+ against righties with a 15.8% K rate. Alex Call was at best the 8th OF prospect in the White Sox farm system.

I don't understand the hate some of you guys (a lot of you guys before the WSD post) have for this move. The White Sox traded an extremely fungible asset for a competent big leaguer. Sure, Alonso is redundant on this roster with Delmonico and Palka already on it, but he's more proven than either of those guys and none of the three really have any upside left to explore.

No upside? -between Delmonico and Palka they have less than 2 full major leagues seasons.

Not that they need upside to be better than Alonso - Palka was miles better with the bat than Alonso was last season. 
Alonso has been getting worse the last 2 years.
This is the "proven veteran" philosophy that Hahn used to build with Sale, Q and Eaton that maxed out at 78 wins.
The Sox also gave a big assist to Cleveland in its effort to dump salary.  Nicely done.
It's Machado or bust.

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Than a joke?  If they miss out on both, they still will be irrelevant.But this trade actually has made me more optimistic. I am no fan of Hahn, but I don’t think he would make this trade just as part of his presentation.  He must know more than that.

There is no other explanation for this acquisition. He is short term, and his position is already covered by players better and/or younger than him.

I'm not knocking the acquisition of Alonso at all. Far from it. I like the move. Just saying That I don't care one way or another if people make fun of the Sox.Right now we are irrelevant until we can sign one of the whales. If that doesn't happen the scorn from not dong that will far outweigh the jokes about Alonso being acquired.

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It isn’t, but it would be a whole new level. Trading for his brother in law, while helping a division rival, offering the most money, and still can’t close the deal, would have to be close to rock bottom.

Anytime you ever mentioned you were a White Sox fan to someone who was a baseball fan of any other team, there is a good chance it would be mentioned.

Amplified by x50 if Harper signs with the Cubs to go along with it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maggsmaggs said:

Well now that he’s a member of the White Sox, there’s like a 50% he’ll get a coaching job with the organization.

• Tony unpinned this topic