Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Cleveland traded him to the White Sox for nothing.  Maybe there is another team that will take him for nothing, but it’s pretty doubtful right now, because the Tribe probably would have sent him elsewhere if only because of the small chance he could come back to haunt them.

This was from a few days ago from a good Yanks source:

13 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

There is no need for all this talk about Didi and them needing SS the smarter move would be just to play Torres there and sign one of the many 2B free agents like Kinsler (signed), Schoop (signed), Murphy, Asdrubal, Lowrie, Dozier, Forsythe, LeMahieu, and on and on.

2B is deep this FA. It's why I wouldn't be opposed to moving Moncada to CF

Right I think it’s basically they like manny a lot short term but, not long term, so it may very well work out if those priorities align. But The obnoxious thing about dodgers and Yankees for these players is the parties want them to be involved, but they can pretty much hang back and see where things move and then if they decide to match they can win any bid. They do not need to be aggressive and that’s infuriating with their resources.

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Must've been some crappy talks, considering we got him for next to nothing.

We got him for next to nothing because we took in his full contract. Yankees wouldn’t want to add unnecessary salary.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

No, it’s not. The team is in charge of who gets at bats. If they don’t want him to reach it, he won’t reach it. This isn’t rocket science. 

You might want to run that by the players association first. If he is playing better then the next guy and not playing due to his option then there will be a problem.

But you missed the greater point. Alonso had 574 PA last year. He wasn't worth 9 million. If we have to limit his PA that also limits his worth as a player and how the trade should be viewed. You seem to be of the opinion we can just limit his at bats to 526 PA that is not a full season and not take into account 526 PA for 9 million is not good value

Noone held a gun to Hahns head and forced him to make this deal. Lets look at this trade logically and see how it might work for us or not.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

Um, the Sox continuing to bring in bad players instead of good ones is  it a good sign that they will bring in good ones in the future, and pointing that out is not “freaking out” and nobody claimed posting on a message board is going to improve the rebuild.

Then people need to go b**** to Hahn and the FO or stop buying tickets and merchandise like they have been.

37 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The trade only happened 14 hrs ago how could a take on it be getting old.

My take has changed once I found out Yondo had an extra year on his deal there is zero chance Yondo today would get a contract of 2/17 million. Zero. I don't think the plan is Machado either because you'd have to think he'd prefer the 17 million to Alonso. So what is the plan? The hell if I know. I'm hoping it's to move Abreu for premium prospects and play Alonso at 1B but we could have still found someone cheaper.

The sky is falling if Machado and Harper don’t sign here and the Alonso to recruit Machado takes are getting old.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

You might want to run that by the players association first. If he is playing better then the next guy and not playing due to his option then there will be a problem.

But you missed the greater point. Alonso had 574 PA last year. He wasn't worth 9 million. If we have to limit his PA that also limits his worth as a player and how the trade should be viewed. You seem to be of the opinion we can just limit his at bats to 526 PA that is not a full season and not take into account 526 PA for 9 million is not good value

Noone held a gun to Hahns head and forced him to make this deal. Lets look at this trade logically and see how it might work for us or not.

You aren’t going to win the argument that it will be difficult to limit a DH only (for us) player to 500 ABs. He signed the contract. He knows what’s up.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

This is a really strange take. They don’t care about getting good value for the $9 million, he was brought on for one reason.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right I think it’s basically they like manny a lot short term but, not long term, so it may very well work out if those priorities align. But The obnoxious thing about dodgers and Yankees for these players is the parties want them to be involved, but they can pretty much hang back and see where things move and then if they decide to match they can win any bid. They do not need to be aggressive and that’s infuriating with their resources.

I saw Cashman on MLBN. He has so many options. He was talking about signing. 2B and making Torres the SS. As a cheaper alternative to Manny. It is as if they the Dodgers the Cubs and Red Sox have final say over everyone else over where guys are going to play. 

Just now, bmags said:

You aren’t going to win the argument that it will be difficult to limit a DH only (for us) player to 500 ABs. He signed the contract. He knows what’s up.

So you can't see a scenario either where we may want to play him more then 526 PA and not want to pay him 9 million next year because explaining this point shouldn't be that complicated that we basically are paying 9 million for what is 75 percent of a season (700 PA).

As far as the rest goes lets not pretend these situations don't often end in problems. Hanley needed to be released last year because of it.

8 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

This is a really strange take. They don’t care about getting good value for the $9 million, he was brought on for one reason.

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Are you implying this isnt the case? Because this trade happened because of that. 

I get it if someone thinks a side benefit to getting Alonso is that he'll help recruit Machado (I don't think it's that powerful or meaningful, but whatever), but what proof do you two have that that is the primary reason for the trade? Seems like you're taking a fan forum hypothesis and presenting it as absolute truth. Well, based on what?

• Like 2

Just now, The Sir said:

I get it if someone thinks a side benefit to getting Alonso is that he'll help recruit Machado (I don't think it's that powerful or meaningful, but whatever), but what proof do you two have that that is the primary reason for the trade? Seems like you're taking a fan forum hypothesis and presenting it as absolute truth. Well, based on what?

Based on that if it weren’t for the Machado connection then this move makes absolutely zero sense.

4 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

So you can't see a scenario either where we may want to play him more then 526 PA and not want to pay him 9 million next year because explaining this point shouldn't be that complicated that we basically are paying 9 million for what is 75 percent of a season (700 PA).

As far as the rest goes lets not pretend these situations don't often end in problems. Hanley needed to be released last year because of it.

The only scenario where he gets more than 526 PA is if he is absolutely mashing at the plate, and even if he is I still have doubts he’d get there unless we were somehow competing for the playoffs. So there’s really nothing to worry about.

8 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Are you implying this isnt the case? Because this trade happened because of that. 

We can infer what we want from the trade but we have no idea what Hahn will do or be able to pull off. Should we also infer that the Sox are out of the Harper sweepstakes because Alonso was acquired and it is a signal that they are pursuing Machado? Who knows, time will tell.

5 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Based on that if it weren’t for the Machado connection then this move makes absolutely zero sense.

I hate to break it to you, man, but even with the Machado connection, it doesn't make much sense.

Machado is going to sign with the highest bidder. If it's us, great. If it's not us, then we helped a strong division rival with their salary dumping goals by acquiring a mediocre 1B who was marginally better than multiple players we non-tendered.

14 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

And it is a creative outside of the box method of making yourself stand out in the crowd as being willing to do whatever it takes to make you feel welcome. 

Not only are the White Sox willing to offer money,  but they are also willing to surround you with the people you want to be around during the baseball season. 

How someone can view this as anything other than a good thing is mindboggling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I hate to break it to you, man, but even with the Machado connection, it doesn't make much sense.

Machado is going to sign with the highest bidder. If it's us, great. If it's not us, then we helped a strong division rival with their salary dumping goals by acquiring a mediocre 1B who was marginally better than multiple players we non-tendered.

We have a 9M 1B/DH now who is a better defender than Abreu who happens to be really good friends with a top FA target. If it might help us a little bit what is the problem? If we don't get Machado you trade him or Abreu and get a prospect back (possibly a better one). What could possibly be the downside here? Because the Indians now have more money? What are they possibly going to do this year with that 9M that will effect us in the long term?

7 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Of course it makes sense if it works. If the Sox are flying blind on this and just did this out of desperation and it doesn’t work, then you are right, it will be ridiculous.

I am just a little surprised the National guys haven’t took this and run. The White Sox weren’t looking for a 1 year DH. They weren’t looking for a 1 year 1B. They weren’t looking to help the Indians out of a financial pinch. Yet they acquired Alonso and ate the entire contract. It’s onky a coincidence he is Machado’s brother in law. 

For all the so and so it the front runner, they percentage breakdowns of teams chances, this trade is clearly a big clue. The White Sox have to be the favorites for Manny right now.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Tony unpinned this topic