Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

I hate to break it to you, man, but even with the Machado connection, it doesn't make much sense.

Machado is going to sign with the highest bidder. If it's us, great. If it's not us, then we helped a strong division rival with their salary dumping goals by acquiring a mediocre 1B who was marginally better than multiple players we non-tendered.

Even if we’re the highest bidder he may not sign with us, this move is all about getting any edge you can get.  And quite frankly it’s an incredibly smart gamble to take with very little downside risk.  

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know I've been the optimistic one in this thread, but if Hahn is being truthful and the Sox didn't intend to bring in another first baseman this offseason and the deal didn't even start getting discussed until Thursday, it does worry me a bit that this is desperation.  

I don’t follow.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that but there are going to be people OK with failure because of  perceived effort. Effort is for kids. In the real world you only get trophies for results.

Some mountains are just too high some rivers just too wide. It's the body of work that gets you fired. This would just be the cherry on top of that body and it's still doubtful he'd get fired. We are not in the business of hiring and firing baseball executives so it's easy to be harsh or forgiving. In the end it doesn't really matter.

I like that i could loosely use the Supremes and Linkin Park all in one  post

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, he would be better keeping his mouth shut. If he was serious and a 30 something 1b with a WAR barely above replacement level is baseball wise a move to take them where they want to be in 2019 and beyond, it should take them to the unemployment line. He probably is saying these things out of respect for Alonso.

Oh come on, he had to say something to the press and clearly he wasn’t going to say this gives them an edge in the Machado sweepstakes.  His response was completely fine, no one should be over-analyzing it.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahn also said Abreu and Alonso will split 1b/dh, and that Palka was in the OF. So that either means out on Harper or Palka is basically been Jabari Parkered.

Again, you’re over-thinking this.  All it means as currently constructed, Palka is now in the OF mix because we added a DH and we have a gaping hole in RF.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh come on, he had to say something to the press and clearly he wasn’t going to say this gives them an edge in the Machado sweepstakes.  His response was completely fine, no one should be over-analyzing it.

His response was silly. He should have left it at the press release. Except for Ron who has a strange unconditional hatred of Jose Abreu, everyone knows why this trade was made.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

His response was silly. He should have left it at the press release. Except for Ron who has a strange unconditional hatred of Jose Abreu, everyone knows why this trade was made.

didn't he literally say a week ago they don't want stop-gap measures?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, you’re over-thinking this.  All it means as currently constructed, Palka is now in the OF mix because we added a DH and we have a gaping hole in RF.

He is saying Alonso or Abreu will DH, So if the Sox sign Harper, Palka has no spot unless Alonso or Abreu have no spot. So it is pretty easy to deduct either no Harper or no Palka. Its obviously an easy choice if they have one, but it is looking more like they don't. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He is saying Alonso or Abreu will DH, So if the Sox sign Harper, Palka has no spot unless Alonso or Abreu have no spot. So it is pretty easy to deduct either no Harper or no Palka. Its obviously an easy choice if they have one, but it is looking more like they don't. 

or Abreu is getting dealt

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

didn't he literally say a week ago they don't want stop-gap measures?

If he did you know that it isn't true. What is Nova but a stop gap ? McCann? Castillo ? Hell half the roster are stop gaps in that thy will be gone as soon as they can be replaced by better players Some stop gaps are just longer term stop gaps like Engel or whoever plays 3rd base.

There's nothing wrong with Palka coming off the bench in late inning situations to pinch hit because he is a long ball threat plus maybe playing in the field or at DH once or twice a week. If they were to get Harper there would still be some at bats for him.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m not following.  If we add Harper, who cares about Palka?  Until then, he’s a place-holder for RF.  I really don’t see what the issue is here.

58 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know I've been the optimistic one in this thread, but if Hahn is being truthful and the Sox didn't intend to bring in another first baseman this offseason and the deal didn't even start getting discussed until Thursday, it does worry me a bit that this is desperation.  

Are we sure Alonso isn’t the runner up to the Nelson Cruz rumors? 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he did you know that it isn't true. What is Nova but a stop gap ? McCann? Castillo ? Hell half the roster are stop gaps in that thy will be gone as soon as they can be replaced by better players Some stop gaps are just longer term stop gaps like Engel or whoever plays 3rd base.

No stop gaps meant expensive deals to mediocre veterans like Melky & LaRoche that would block prospects.  Alonso was brought here for one reason and we all know why.  His addition doesn’t go against anything Hahn said.

• Tony unpinned this topic