Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He is saying Alonso or Abreu will DH, So if the Sox sign Harper, Palka has no spot unless Alonso or Abreu have no spot. So it is pretty easy to deduct either no Harper or no Palka. Its obviously an easy choice if they have one, but it is looking more like they don't. 

You never thought the Sox had much of a chance for Machado or Harper anyway so you thinking "it is looking more like they don't" fits your previous narrative.

I won't pretend that I also thought there wasn't much of a chance previously but it's no sin to now think otherwise. I think there's a decent chance to get one of them.. I thought tht way before the Alonso trade and that trade doesn't change my opinion one way or another except to think it's just another move to accomplish that.

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahn also said Abreu and Alonso will split 1b/dh, and that Palka was in the OF. So that either means out on Harper or Palka is basically been Jabari Parkered.

Pretty sure Palka has at least one option left. Even if the Sox sign Harper, he can play LF until Eloy come up and then go to AAA, or be used as a bench bat. 

I think I look at it this way...if they get Manny cause of it, then it was a brilliant trade.  If not, I much would have rather had Avi for the same amount or let Palka get all those at bats than Alonso will get (assuming they go out and get another outfielder).  If it's going to be a rebuild year, then Palka should get an opportunity and not a veteran player.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt it. 

I think Abreu being RH  vs Alonso, Palka, maybe Harper all LH Is also a factor.

If I was betting this looks like all in on Manny and saing uncle on Harper

I think it improves our chances with Machado and puts some pressure on Boras.  Plus if we somehow miss on both guys, it allows us to consider moving Abreu for prospects and still have a place-holder at 1B.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve got bad news for you fathom, but I’m guessing your boy Adam Jones will be a member of the 2019 White Sox if we don’t land Harper 😜

oh trust me, I've considered that but not sure they have roster room if they keep Delmonico and Leury.

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is their job to make the White Sox a desirable destination . There are probably less than 5 teams in MLB that could offer Machado the most money and the chance to play with friends and family where it wouldn't be a slam dunk he says yes. I think he will say yes, but if not it shows how pathetic the team has become. There is no chance he would say no to several teams. 

It is a results oriented business.  If your best is consistently not good enough, it is time for someone else to give their best effort.

Of course it is.  However, believe it or not that can't control everything especially the player. If a player really has a preferred destination there is nothing they can do about it.  As I stated before, maybe its Chicago they have a problem with. Many posters on here stated they would prefer other cities. Blaming the FO for things out of their control is just looking to blame them. I know you dont like the FO and management and it's just another way to blame them. Over the summer you blamed them for not offering the money and that is the reason because players only care about the most money. Now that the Sox are offering the most money, you are finding ways to blame them again.

If the offer falls short, I'll agree with you. But the players states they really wanted to play elsewhere for some other reasons, I'll disagree

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You never thought the Sox had much of a chance for Machado or Harper anyway so you thinking "it is looking more like they don't" fits your previous narrative.

I won't pretend that I also thought there wasn't much of a chance previously but it's no sin to now think otherwise. I think there's a decent chance to get one of them.. I thought tht way before the Alonso trade and that trade doesn't change my opinion one way or another except to think it's just another move to accomplish that.

As I have stated I now think this trade shows the White Sox will sign Machado. It makes no sense if they don't, and while Rick Hahn may be a crappy GM, he is a bright and reasonable man. They didn't want to risk perhaps $8 million on Avi . I doubt he would piss away $9 million if he didn't know something that he can't quite say yet.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They won’t keep both Nicky & Palka on the 25 man roster once Eloy is up.  One will be optioned down to AAA.

I’d be surprised if Nicky is on the OD roster. The Sox would have to stand pat on the OF mix from where they stand today. Doubt that happens.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No stop gaps meant expensive deals to mediocre veterans like Melky & LaRoche that would block prospects.  Alonso was brought here for one reason and we all know why.  His addition doesn’t go against anything Hahn said.

Ok I guess my definition of a stop gap is the same as a place holder. It's all the same in my eyes. Just splitting hairs i suppose.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty sure Palka has at least one option left. Even if the Sox sign Harper, he can play LF until Eloy come up and then go to AAA, or be used as a bench bat. 

Yes, Palka should have option left, he was not added to the Twins 40 man roster until after 2016, so 2017 and 2018 should have burned options for him leaving 1 remaining.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d be surprised if Nicky is on the OD roster. The Sox would have to stand pat on the OF mix from where they stand today. Doubt that happens.

Nicky is a reasonable piece to be on the opening day roster because the White Sox will need someone convenient to send down to Charlotte on April 15, preferably someone who plays an OF position. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If you are the Indians, would you rather have Machado go to the White Sox or the Yankees?

I don't think that's nearly as important to them as them removing a contract for a player who didn't perform for them without having to give up anything else. They do this deal and save a bit by moving Encarnaction, they might be able to hold onto their pitching.

44 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What kind of question is this? The Yankees, 100 times out of 100

What if they think their best chance to win a World Series is in the next couple years, and Machado to the Yankees would make that tough? They could think Machado to the Sox still won’t make us better than them. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

We have so many spots open right now. Ideally we'd find someone for him to platoon with wherever he plays

• Tony unpinned this topic