Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

I went into this offseason believing both were possible - that we could “be on the verge of seeing a historic offseason.”

Not at all saying it’s happening... just see this as possible.

Many laughed when I said that, now not so much. 😆

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I went into this offseason believing both were possible - that we could “be on the verge of seeing a historic offseason.”

Not at all saying it’s happening... just see this as possible.

Many laughed when I said that, now not so much. 😆

I wish but I really don't think they'd like to play with each other. Harper wants to build his brand and be "the guy". 

42 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is really odd if you ask me. Sox now have Castillo and Alonso almost specifically just for recruiting Manny. If the Sox don't land one of Harper/Manny they are absolutely going to look foolish to the rest of MLB.

Was Castillo signed last year with the specific intent to help the signing of Machado this year? really?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

The fact they have the same agent is interesting also.  If for some reason Lozano said that if Hahn gets Yonder and that will make Manny choose them, that's a good way to have the Sox never negotiate with you again if he backtracks.

Yeah this is a good point. You are selling me. I had a really hard time believing that this was actually a powerful tool to sign him. But the Hahn quote and agent thing, that would be pretty brutal to mislead on when you have other clients and this team happens to be one of the few with money and desire to spend soon.

I'll join the pessimist train.

First, Alonso sucks. Look at bWAR and OPS- he's basically Davidson.

Second, I don't buy the BIL thing at all. A soon-to-be gazillionaire is going to determine where he plays for a good portion of the rest of his career based on his journeyman brother-in-law? No f'in way. Ever heard of this thing called a "jet"?

Third, this another of Rick Hahn's hedges. Fail on Harper, fail on Machado, but, "after much analysis and heartache, we determined that a major signing was not right for this franchise at this time, and decided to stay the course with the long-term development of our prospects." Our decision to trade for two other scrubs and sign one backs me up here. We're hedging and acquiring the second rate guys so management can shrug and say we tried.

I'll be happy to eat crow.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

Yeah this is a good point. You are selling me. I had a really hard time believing that this was actually a powerful tool to sign him. But the Hahn quote and agent thing, that would be pretty brutal to mislead on when you have other clients and this team happens to be one of the few with money and desire to spend soon.

Like has there even been a case before where a player (making 9 million dollars)was acquired just to try and help recruit someone?  That's the type of stuff that SHOULD get a GM fired immediately if it doesn't pan out.  Also, have we ever figured out who Eddie Robinson in this FA class is?  I know Grandal was Boozer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

2 years ago barely anyone would have believed Sox would be in the hunt to get Machado or Harper, now it seems they are.

Even if they miss you are talking about moonshot free agents on their first try. The expectation should be failure. How many teams miss out on top tier free agents every year, even the Red Sox and Yankees.

The Yankees also hit on these often enough. We don't. Hahn and company haven't earned the understanding that Yanks and Red Sox fans ought to give to their leadership cadres.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Like has there even been a case before where a player (making 9 million dollars)was acquired just to try and help recruit someone?  That's the type of stuff that SHOULD get a GM fired immediately if it doesn't pan out.  Also, have we ever figured out who Eddie Robinson in this FA class is?  I know Grandal was Boozer.

It would have been Corbin honestly

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic