Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

Just now, caulfield12 said:

And your position on Hahn if this backfires?  He gave it the ‘ol college try, that’s the best we could do, let’s just move move on?

Yeah, pretty much. None of these moves break the franchises back.

Its all very dispiriting and "wreaks" of failure but what else can you do?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

And your position on Hahn if this backfires?  He gave it the ‘ol college try, that’s the best we could do, let’s just move move on?

I've already said that if he misses on Harper/Machado and then the 2019 isn't much better than 2018 (in terms of rebuild growth), then he should be fired and basically remembered as one of the worst GMs in baseball history.

Just now, fathom said:

I've already said that if he misses on Harper/Machado and then the 2019 isn't much better than 2018 (in terms of rebuild growth), then he should be fired and basically remembered as one of the worst GMs in baseball history.

lol cmon, Hawk was the GM of this franchise...

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also, this is now 4 for 4 in terms of the media not having any idea that the Sox were about to make a move

Yeah, I thought about that too. When was the last time a move really leaked through smaller sources far in advance of it being outright announced or otherwise given to the national reporters? Seems like they really got it locked down.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But by all accounts they're not just in it to say "we tried" and keep the fans happy. That's utter bullshit. They know the fans won't be happy if they don't get these guys anyway. They've offered a substantial contract to harper, so they're not in it just to say they tried dude. That shit is the worst argument I've ever heard and if I keep hearing it I would lose my mind

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Sir said:

The Yankees also hit on these often enough. We don't. Hahn and company haven't earned the understanding that Yanks and Red Sox fans ought to give to their leadership cadres.

Its year one. If they miss i expect them to go after fas next year or try to trade for big salry players.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I wouldn't say that. Call has a shot to be a 4th OF'er. He's not a top prospect, but the exact type that usually get a cup of coffee at the MLB level (nothing to cry over either).

He wasn't very good last year in high A ball as a 23 year old. A 4th outfielder ceiling is a reach

This is a pathetic move*. 

The one asterisks on this move is if it somehow nets us Machado then it can be considered a mild success.

This is not a professional move. We are taking a shit player making 9 million a year when we have reasonably comparable players on the team already. Further, we help a division rival cut $$$. 

As others have stated on this thread -- this is down right creepy. 

We are quickly approaching an incredibly risky offseason. If we don't get the 2 whales we are looking at an offseason of : Ivan Nova, Yonder Alonso, Alex Colome and James McCann. 

I can't think of more of a boring, lame, overpaid unit there. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

But by all accounts they're not just in it to say "we tried" and keep the fans happy. That's utter bullshit. They know the fans won't be happy if they don't get these guys anyway. They've offered a substantial contract to harper, so they're not in it just to say they tried dude. That shit is the worst argument I've ever heard and if I keep hearing it I would lose my mind

this move is kind of the first actual proof that they're legitimately interested

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Everyone is saying this tonight, when we are practically guaranteeing a Machado signing.

Let’s see what this all looks like on July 1st, 2019.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

The one asterisks on this move is if it somehow nets us Machado then it can be considered a mild success.

This is not a professional move. We are taking a shit player making 9 million a year when we have reasonably comparable players on the team already. Further, we help a division rival cut $$$. 

We are quickly approaching an incredibly risky offseason. If we don't get the 2 whales we are looking at an offseason of : Ivan Nova, Yonder Alonso, Alex Colome and James McCann. 

Eh, I mean, it doesn't change your overall point, but I would say all of those guys are paid right about where they should be.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

If there is an opportunity to make the biggest move of the off season,  and you didn't do everything to accomplish it,  that would be unprofessional.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

2 whales? If the sox get one its huge.

Anyone know if Machado and Adam Jones are close. I know Our Chuck was more or less kidding when he mentioned trading for him during the winter meetings but you wondered if it was a plant. However if they were tight that would be another way to sway him if Hahn told his agent it could be done. Plus it fills a need in CF. It’s out there but so is most of this off-season. Its been drama filled especially in these different threads. 

I also find it interesting that if JR does own The Stadium it’s intresting that’s how the Alonso trade broke instead of being fed to a national or local guy. Plus the Harper jersey post. All of this is just odd and makes me kinda hopeful no matter how out there it may be. 

Just now, Frank_Thomas said:

I also find it interesting that if JR does own The Stadium it’s intresting that’s how the Alonso trade broke instead of being fed to a national or local guy. Plus the Harper jersey post. All of this is just odd and makes me kinda hopeful no matter how out there it may be. 

They have also posted Harper in a Phillies jersey, if that makes a difference

1 minute ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Anyone know if Machado and Adam Jones are close. I know Our Chuck was more or less kidding when he mentioned trading for him during the winter meetings but you wondered if it was a plant. However if they were tight that would be another way to sway him if Hahn told his agent it could be done. Plus it fills a need in CF. It’s out there but so is most of this off-season. Its been drama filled especially in these different threads. 

He's a free agent. No trade.

6 minutes ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Pretty sure Adam Jones is a disaster in CF these days, IIRC.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

The fact they have the same agent is interesting also.  If for some reason Lozano said that if Hahn gets Yonder and that will make Manny choose them, that's a good way to have the Sox never negotiate with you again if he backtracks.

But that would not have been said. No agent can guarantee what a client will do when they haven’t even made their visits yet. Clearly this was a big deal to Machado’s wife. 

What if the tax does what it's supposed to and Dodgers Cubs and Yankees are out of free agent running on Harper and Machado.....who is out there other than Phillies and Sox.......what if at the winter meetings the talk of new CBA scared those that are trending toward those high salaries and has the impact like the hockey CBA to guys like Hossa......hummmmm

• Tony unpinned this topic