Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

10 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is a pathetic move*. 

The one asterisks on this move is if it somehow nets us Machado then it can be considered a mild success.

This is not a professional move. We are taking a shit player making 9 million a year when we have reasonably comparable players on the team already. Further, we help a division rival cut $$$. 

As others have stated on this thread -- this is down right creepy. 

We are quickly approaching an incredibly risky offseason. If we don't get the 2 whales we are looking at an offseason of : Ivan Nova, Yonder Alonso, Alex Colome and James McCann. 

I can't think of more of a boring, lame, overpaid unit there. 

Also, it is a bit funny how this is pathetic, unprofessional and creepy, but the fact that the Cubs are in the running for Harper because of Bryant seems to run rampant.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Now we’re DHing him when he’s a much better fielder than Abreu...sigh.

Lol what? Not once in that sentence did he say DH. For the love of God, take a break from soxtalk for a few hours. Now you're the one giving us all brain aneurysms.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 4

Just now, The Sir said:

OK, if we're all strapping on our tinfoil hats, I'll join in. If this is clearly a ploy to recruit Machado, why would a division rival help us in that? Surely, they'd see it as well, right?

Because the Indians don’t even see us as a legit threat to their 2019-21 window, lol...

Or they simply refuse to believe that Reinsdorf will sign off on a contract 4X the largest one in Sox history.

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Desperate enough that they're open to helping a rival resuscitate itself by acquiring one of the best FAs in years?

They must not think they have a great chance. As I've said multiple times in this thread, this move doesn't move the needle that much. 

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Lol what? Not once in that sentence did he say DH. For the love of God, take a break from soxtalk for a few hours. Now you're the one giving us all brain aneurysms.

It’s interesting that Peavy44 stops posting for the night and Caulfield comes right in to take his place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Yes, because he’s made more spelling/grammatical errors in ten days than I have made in a decade.

We must be the same person!  You got me.

I wasn’t accusing you of being the same person, you clearly understand what a comma is.  I was referring your recent string of completely irrational posts.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Maybe.  Maybe saving this money on Alonso and Encarnacion allows them to keep Kluber and keep their window open longer.

or it gives them more flexibility to take on Kemp's contract in a Kluber trade where they're getting guys like Verdugo and Ruiz, etc.

As for the trade, why the heck not? A little repetitive with Palka, but as others have said, even if this moves our chances with Machado from 10% to 15%, why not? Palka was fun last year and all, but Alonso is a much better bet to be better next year, and we can still put Palka in a corner if need be. 

I like the move, If we strike out on the whales, you just use Alonso as a part time player. Sox have tons of payroll room, so I am not concerned about the $9M. 

Go get em Rick!

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic