Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Kinda pathetic if we signed his family in order to say “hey we signed yonder for you.”  Kinds creepy actually.  

I hope that’s not what this is. 

Ha, I’m not gonna lie this has crossed my mind:

”If you don’t sign we’ll bury your brother on the bench!”

• Haha 1

Just now, bmags said:

Right this is articulating the down side well. This asset happens to align with the most redundant part of our fringe-ready prospects.

That's the thing, on the surface, this move makes very little sense given who they already have.  That should be seen as a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it's Nightengale, but nobody comments on the idea that we want to pull a Phillies and sign both of the whales? Given that he's usually a FO mouthpiece, I haven't been able to figure out why they wanted him to tweet that.

It’s interesting maybe he’s just speculating.....but I’m just hoping they land one of them 

5 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I dont understand because rabbit is saying moves like this are just so the Sox can have a seat at the table and appear to be suitable destinations for Manny. He will give us Monday to make our spiel and make us feel good but in the end he will go to the Yankees like most top FAs ever have done. 

I don’t think raBBit is saying that.  From what I can tell, all he’s trying to say is the Sox pulled out all the stops to land one of these guys and if they come up short people will forget that.

Just now, justBLAZE said:

I'd love to see White Sox official word on this trade with words from Hahn.

"As we move forward in the rebuild, it's important that we acquire veteran leadership.  Yonder brings left handed power that should flourish at the Cell and he's familiar with Ricky from his Padres days and will be a good mentor to our young players.  We will continue to look for creative ways in which to acquire premium assets without losing sight of our long-term flexibility"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think it's because so many people got obsessed with Harper (who still could be in play), but every sign besides what was reported in the media is that Machado has always been their main target.  I know most of us don't trust the front office, but Hahn would have to be a true idiot to do this deal without talking with Manny's agent beforehand.  

I agree with you that this might have been something that was shared with us as something that would increase our chances. But to be honest, I wouldn’t put it past them to have just taken a risk and done it without provocation. 

We’re talking $350m here folks. This is $9m. It’s nothing.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ha, I’m not gonna lie this has crossed my mind:

”If you don’t sign we’ll bury your brother on the bench!”

Right??!

but then again if the families are super close then maybe they want to live in the same city.  If we traded for Machado first then maybe the Indians would have charged us more for Alonso.  

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right this is articulating the down side well. This asset happens to align with the most redundant part of our fringe-ready prospects.

But, it is anathema to our strategy overall so it’s certainly a big, positive story on the Machado front.

They’ll be stuck with a more expensive roster? Really?

There is no downside.

Just now, Jerksticks said:

Right??!

but then again if the families are super close then maybe they want to live in the same city.  If we traded for Machado first then maybe the Indians would have charged us more for Alonso.  

if the Sox thought it would marginally help them, why not just mention it to Manny as something they could do to entice him if he agrees to go there?  

11 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I dont understand because rabbit is saying moves like this are just so the Sox can have a seat at the table and appear to be suitable destinations for Manny. He will give us Monday to make our spiel and make us feel good but in the end he will go to the Yankees like most top FAs ever have done. 

If rabbit is correct and the Sox really had no chance despite their best efforts. It would mean their best efforts aren’t good enough. Time to change the regime. Again, while Alonso is pretty mediocre, it is hard to imagine the White Sox would trade for him and help out a division rival, even if it is only slightly, if they didn’t have a really good idea of its ultimate effect.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Well, just like the Bulls never landing a whale and turning into a dumpster fire, what SHOULD the fans do if they strike out, clamor for a Hahn statue at 35th and Shields when he’s the one largely responsible for creating this Hail Mary desperation play in the first place in order to save his job?

well no one will go to games this year outside of opening day, Eloy debut, Cubs games and bobblehead giveaways.  If 2019 looks like 2018, Hahn is probably fired.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE
  • Tony unpinned this topic