Harper + Machado?

Chicago White Sox

I said it a month ago- give them each 10/350M with the first 5 years being 50M/year. Give them an opt out after year 5. This gives the Sox 5 years to contend assuming the prospects pan out. After 2023 when Harper and Machado leave, they now have the flexibility to pay Cease, Jimenez, Kopech, Robert, etc.

• Like 1

Levine (who obviously is 100% speculating here, I don't even think he has a Sox source anymore) is on his show on the Score saying he'd be surprised if the Sox go over 7 years for either guy.  He also felt the need to pontificate on why opt outs are stupid and nobody should offer them anymore and he doubts the Sox will offer them either.

He was positive about Alonso though, so there's that.

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Levine (who obviously is 100% speculating here, I don't even think he has a Sox source anymore) is on his show on the Score saying he'd be surprised if the Sox go over 7 years for either guy.  He also felt the need to pontificate on why opt outs are stupid and nobody should offer them anymore and he doubts the Sox will offer them either.

The Sox will offer opt outs. They were either the first or one of the first to offer one to a high priced free agent. It may not be as simple as the  player saying he wants to become a free agent. There will most likely be steps the team can take ie adding more money that cancels the opt out.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox will offer opt outs. They were either the first or one of the first to offer one to a high priced free agent. It may not be as simple as the  player saying he wants to become a free agent. There will most likely be steps the team can take ie adding more money that cancels the opt out.

Yup.  I'm at work in my office by myself yelling "ALBERT BELLE HAD OPT OUTS!" at the speaker.  I know this, you know this, yet a guy that's been reporting Chicago baseball for the last 300 years doesn't.  Bruce needs to fade away.

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yup.  I'm at work in my office by myself yelling "ALBERT BELLE HAD OPT OUTS!" at the speaker.  I know this, you know this, yet a guy that's been reporting Chicago baseball for the last 300 years doesn't.  Bruce needs to fade away.

yet he retweeted his own article like 5 times this week about Harper and opt-outs implying the Cubs would be smart to do it.

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I said it a month ago- give them each 10/350M with the first 5 years being 50M/year. Give them an opt out after year 5. This gives the Sox 5 years to contend assuming the prospects pan out. After 2023 when Harper and Machado leave, they now have the flexibility to pay Cease, Jimenez, Kopech, Robert, etc.

Agreed. I don’t even think it needs to be $50M each season, but difference between $50 and $45 or whatever is micenuts. Point remains - that type of deal probably gets it done and likely doesn’t hamstring the organization for a decade. Gives us a 5 year window to make this thing happen. 

Well, I think the opt outs on these particular deals are worth tens of millions of dollars in value, so I do not take them lightly, but the ONLY chance the Sox are truly interested in signing both players (meaning getting both this offseason) is if the opt outs are very player friendly so they are all but assured that one or both will opt out after 4/5 years.  

Edited by GREEDY

In Olney's article here he says he has a well-placed source that says while the Sox are pursuing both players they have no interest in signing either to a "record-breaking" contract and that their pursuit is "measured and modest." Says they're working within "conventional financial bounds."

Would quote it here but its an insider article. Really hoping its a plant piece, they cannot be stupid enough to think they can sign either of these guys to anything less than record-breaking.

Edited by Sockin

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

In Olney's article here he says he has a well-placed source that says while the Sox are pursuing both players they have no interest in signing either to a "record-breaking" contract and that their pursuit is "measured and modest." Says they're working within "conventional financial bounds."

Would quote it here but its an insider article. 

Who knows what's really true or not with "sources" these days. It's going to take a record breaker to get one of these guys. Beyond that given where the team has finished the last few years they have to understand that they'll be expected to outbid teams to get players to come. 

10 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Would quote it here but its an insider article. Really hoping its a plant piece, they cannot be stupid enough to think they can sign either of these guys to anything less than record-breaking.

Exactly what the Sox world want their competition to think.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Also, exactly what the Sox would want their competitors to think 

Was perusing the NYY board Pinstripe Alley for chatter on Yankees pursuit of MM and found this take, FWIW.....

Bryce Harper and Manny Machado would have dubious GM's/Owners pay them $400M over 10 years. Let me repeat that for emphasis, $40M per year for 10 years. Let's just say, for the sake of the GM whose view is the glass is more than full, that each gets 600 plate appearances for every one of those 10 years (ain't going to happen, by the way). In that unrealistic, beyond optimistic, view point, every time they step to the plate they earn $66,667. At this point it might be relevant to remind readers that neither one of these gold miners has every won a WS ring. For the sake of the GM who gets duped into signing one of these two for his asking price, let's hope they don't swing at too many 1st pitches during plate appearances. In fact, I would propose to the dubious GM's considering making such an offer that the contract language prohibit them from swinging at 1st or 2nd pitches. If signing them is for the purpose of filling the seats (since neither will probably catapult his team to a WS ring having handicapped management from surrounding him with complimentary teammates), then making sure the fans get to see these guys for their 600 plate appearances (or at least the ones at the home ball park) should be the highest priority.

I applaud Cashman for not pursuing Harper in the first place, and putting a lower cap on the team's interest in Machado. Well done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Olney is right, then the Sox are just dicking around to appear to be trying real hard. We are in on everyone, but haven't brought in anyone of big note. 

In which case the Sox deserve to have no one go to their games.  I have a hard time believing they would troll the fragile fan base this badly.

I'm an ESPN Insider. Here's the entire article:

The White Sox slashed their payroll in recent seasons as they traded away players such as Chris Sale and Adam Eaton and went about the business of stockpiling prospects. This leaves them in perfect position to grow their payroll now, to make moves like the transaction they executed Friday, when they agreed to take on first baseman Yonder Alonso, a $9 million salary dump of the Cleveland Indians.

Alonso happens to be the brother-in-law of superstar free agent Manny Machado, and both players are represented by agent Dan Lozano. This move will feed industry theory that the White Sox are laying the groundwork for a significant, aggressive strike on either Machado or Bryce Harper, the two most prominent players available.

With Harper, or with Machado, the White Sox would have a centerpiece lineup star to support their young, developing players, including shortstop Tim Anderson and outfielder Eloy Jimenez. With Machado, or with Harper, the White Sox franchise would get a jolt of adrenaline and interest, enough to draw some eyes away from the crosstown Cubs.

But to sign Machado or Harper is probably going to require an extraordinary investment. USA Today reported that the offer the Washington Nationals made to Harper was worth $284 million, when you account for how the deferred money in the proposal would have translated into present-day dollars. The Nationals may still be open to discussing that kind of arrangement with Harper, which is something of a floor in the negotiations executed by agent Scott Boras.

The White Sox really like Harper as a player. They also really like Machado, a player they attempted to trade for before the 2018 season in the hope that a year with the team would help convince him to re-sign with them.

But a well-placed source says the franchise's interest does not go so far that the team would sign either player to a record-setting contract, which is probably what will be required to land them. The interest of the White Sox is more measured and modest than frenzied, and within more conventional financial bounds.

If Harper and Machado shatter the salary ceiling with their next contracts, it probably will be done with teams other than the White Sox.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The White Sox slashed their payroll in recent seasons as they traded away players such as Chris Sale and Adam Eaton and went about the business of stockpiling prospects. This leaves them in perfect position to grow their payroll now, to make moves like the transaction they executed Friday, when they agreed to take on first baseman Yonder Alonso, a $9 million salary dump of the Cleveland Indians.

Alonso happens to be the brother-in-law of superstar free agent Manny Machado, and both players are represented by agent Dan Lozano. This move will feed industry theory that the White Sox are laying the groundwork for a significant, aggressive strike on either Machado or Bryce Harper, the two most prominent players available.

With Harper, or with Machado, the White Sox would have a centerpiece lineup star to support their young, developing players, including shortstop Tim Anderson and outfielder Eloy Jimenez. With Machado, or with Harper, the White Sox franchise would get a jolt of adrenaline and interest, enough to draw some eyes away from the crosstown Cubs.

But to sign Machado or Harper is probably going to require an extraordinary investment. USA Today reported that the offer the Washington Nationals made to Harper was worth $284 million, when you account for how the deferred money in the proposal would have translated into present-day dollars. The Nationals may still be open to discussing that kind of arrangement with Harper, which is something of a floor in the negotiations executed by agent Scott Boras.

The White Sox really like Harper as a player. They also really like Machado, a player they attempted to trade for before the 2018 season in the hope that a year with the team would help convince him to re-sign with them.

But a well-placed source says the franchise's interest does not go so far that the team would sign either player to a record-setting contract, which is probably what will be required to land them. The interest of the White Sox is more measured and modest than frenzied, and within more conventional financial bounds.

If Harper and Machado shatter the salary ceiling with their next contracts, it probably will be done with teams other than the White Sox.

Who wrote that?  Well-placed source when the Sox haven't let anything outta the room as of yet? 

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They base this off historical tendencies. Historically, we never were going to rebuild. I for one enjoy these stereotypical walls being destroyed. To hell with ESPN.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Flash said:

Was perusing the NYY board Pinstripe Alley for chatter on Yankees pursuit of MM and found this take, FWIW.....

Bryce Harper and Manny Machado would have dubious GM's/Owners pay them $400M over 10 years. Let me repeat that for emphasis, $40M per year for 10 years. Let's just say, for the sake of the GM whose view is the glass is more than full, that each gets 600 plate appearances for every one of those 10 years (ain't going to happen, by the way). In that unrealistic, beyond optimistic, view point, every time they step to the plate they earn $66,667. At this point it might be relevant to remind readers that neither one of these gold miners has every won a WS ring. For the sake of the GM who gets duped into signing one of these two for his asking price, let's hope they don't swing at too many 1st pitches during plate appearances. In fact, I would propose to the dubious GM's considering making such an offer that the contract language prohibit them from swinging at 1st or 2nd pitches. If signing them is for the purpose of filling the seats (since neither will probably catapult his team to a WS ring having handicapped management from surrounding him with complimentary teammates), then making sure the fans get to see these guys for their 600 plate appearances (or at least the ones at the home ball park) should be the highest priority.

I applaud Cashman for not pursuing Harper in the first place, and putting a lower cap on the team's interest in Machado. Well done.

I really don’t think either will hit the 40/year threshold.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...are you actually suggesting we are a revenue sharing recipient?  Do you just make stuff up?

Not revenue sharing, I should have listed it as a subsidy of a little more than $2 million when gate receipts are divided and split up with all the other teams.  I had every team listed in a thread before but now all the data is hidden behind a paywall and I can’t find the old thread.

Teams like the Cubs are kicking $5-7 million back into the pool because they’re doing so well.

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

In which case the Sox deserve to have no one go to their games.  I have a hard time believing they would troll the fragile fan base this badly.

Especially after saying they want to earn our trust again. That's why I'm not buying it. If we offered a lowball contract he would have signed with the Dodgers already. I think we offered 375 million and the Dodgers are trying to top that. Just my guess, but I think it may go down like this.