Harper + Machado?

Chicago White Sox

49 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

So a little #StayWoke theory on my part, maybe some of you guys have felt the same. Does anyone find it kind of odd we haven't heard any new Harper rumors these past few days? It's almost like his chase was over and no one is really linking him close to a deal with any teams. So of course you would assume he's definitely waiting for Manny to sign to try to 1 up his contract. Well what if Harper has already agreed verbally to go to the Sox as part of a double signing, hinging on the Sox being able to convince Manny to sign with them as well and Sox do end up get Harpchado. Then this weekend when Manny decides, if he takes the White Sox offer they announce both signings either this weekend or right after Christmas. Food for thought my fellow Soxtalkers....

Harper is waiting on the cubs that why no rumors.

Sox only competition for Harper has to be the Dodgers and a very  very longshot Cubs. If Harper is really willing to take less money there was no way he was coming here to begin with but if he wants to get paid Sox and Phillies are his options and he's already met with the Sox. If the Sox sign Machado, I think it makes it even easier for him to take the money and sign with the Sox as well. JR gonna put 2 superstars on this new TV deal.

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would your lineup look like if we landed Machado and Harper? For the sake of consistency, let's assume these are the 9 starters:

Castillo, Abreu, Alonso, Moncada, Anderson, Machado, Eloy, Engel, Harper

Moncada 2B

Machado 3B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B/DH

Alonso DH/1B

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Engel CF

Bench: McCann C, Yolmer IF, Garcia IF/OF, Palka 1B/OF

Maybe switch Anderson and Moncada depending on if Moncada is struggling.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Moncada 2B

Machado 3B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B/DH

Alonso DH/1B

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Engel CF

If Leury is healthy he should be the starting CF.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Moncada 2B

Machado 3B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B/DH

Alonso DH/1B

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Engel CF

Based on Steamer projections, this everyday lineup would be as productive as the Cubs’ lineup (better offense, worse defense). The pitching on the other hand will likely still be an adventure unless the young guys can turn a corner (Giolito, 5th starter, bullpen) and stay healthy (Rodon). Either way, it would give them a legitimate chance to compete with the Indians in 2019 if they get significant contributions from the young players (with guys like Cease and Dunning possibly contributing in the second half as well).

20 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

So a little #StayWoke theory on my part, maybe some of you guys have felt the same. Does anyone find it kind of odd we haven't heard any new Harper rumors these past few days? It's almost like his chase was over and no one is really linking him close to a deal with any teams. So of course you would assume he's definitely waiting for Manny to sign to try to 1 up his contract. Well what if Harper has already agreed verbally to go to the Sox as part of a double signing, hinging on the Sox being able to convince Manny to sign with them as well and Sox do end up get Harpchado. Then this weekend when Manny decides, if he takes the White Sox offer they announce both signings either this weekend or right after Christmas. Food for thought my fellow Soxtalkers....

Eh. More likely the same few teams are interested in both and each took their week to meet those teams. Harper was in Vegas and Machado is this week. Teams have to be given the chance to prepare presentations for each. I wouldn't read much into it.

I do read A LOT into the Phillies not meeting Harper. On what planet is that a good choice? I've never heard a player say they enjoyed free agency. They waited for it, and then when they actually had to meet the teams and make the choice it kinda sucks. I'm not sure anyone would want to needlessly drag it out for another month.

16 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

If Leury is healthy he should be the starting CF.

I think that they would want the very best defensive centerfielder possible, with Eloy and Harper at the corners. There would be plenty of offense and the production from CF would be rendered unimportant.

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Based on Steamer projections, this everyday lineup would be as productive as the Cubs’ lineup (better offense, worse defense). The pitching on the other hand will likely still be an adventure unless the young guys can turn a corner (Giolito, 5th starter, bullpen) and stay healthy (Rodon). Either way, it would give them a legitimate chance to compete with the Indians in 2019 if they get significant contributions from the young players (with guys like Cease and Dunning possibly contributing in the second half as well).

I think if they were to somehow nab them both, then they are going all in on a starter immediately.  Kikuchi, Greinke, etc.   no point in stopping right then 

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Moncada 2B

Machado 3B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B/DH

Alonso DH/1B

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Engel CF

Not to poke holes in this lineup because it looks great. I'd counter that if we do spend $70mm on those two guys we better go out and also get ourselves a decent 1-2 year gap in CF. Doesn't have to be Pollock, but I'd want to get someone who can bring a bat too. Engels glove is superior as we know, but I'd rather have someone on base for Macahdo to bring in.

Also I'd really hope we'd then go out and get a few more arms too... I like Shoemaker and Erasmo Ramirez for cheap.

37 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Moncada 2B

Machado 3B

Harper RF

Abreu 1B/DH

Alonso DH/1B

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Engel CF

Looks good. We just have no leadoff hitter whatsoever even if we signed both guys.. Maybe try to take Dee Gordon from the Mariners and plug him in CF. I honestly don't know how he did there last year when the mariners moved him out there.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not to poke holes in this lineup because it looks great. I'd counter that if we do spend $70mm on those two guys we better go out and also get ourselves a decent 1-2 year gap in CF. Doesn't have to be Pollock, but I'd want to get someone who can bring a bat too. Engels glove is superior as we know, but I'd rather have someone on base for Macahdo to bring in.

Also I'd really hope we'd then go out and get a few more arms too... I like Shoemaker and Erasmo Ramirez for cheap.

Could even flip Anderson and Engel so Anderson hits in front of Moncada and Machado.