Harper + Machado?

Chicago White Sox

Let's get one guy signed first, then we can talk about two.  The other interesting thing is say we were to sign Machado, it could set us up to facilitate someone like the Dodgers getting Harper.  Think about it, with the money they need to dump, the Sox could actually receive a lot of talent for not much of a price to help the Dodgers free up cash.  It might actually be more talent combined than a Bryce Harper alone depending on how deals were structured.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let's get one guy signed first, then we can talk about two.  The other interesting thing is say we were to sign Machado, it could set us up to facilitate someone like the Dodgers getting Harper.  Think about it, with the money they need to dump, the Sox could actually receive a lot of talent for not much of a price to help the Dodgers free up cash.  It might actually be more talent combined than a Bryce Harper alone depending on how deals were structured.

MIND. BLOWN.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, they could bring in Pederson and Wood and they would fill CF and a rotation spot. Not a bad thought. Then Palka would just play RF.

Edited by soxfan2014

23 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think if they were to somehow nab them both, then they are going all in on a starter immediately.  Kikuchi, Greinke, etc.   no point in stopping right then 

Possibly but I see a trade for a young, controllable starter as more likely in that scenario. I wonder if the Reds would entertain a trade involving Luis Castillo.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Dodgers would want to unload Kemp more than anyone. If the Sox take all of Kemp and Wood’s contract to help the Dodgers land Harper they better throw in Verdugo and Ruiz. That’s the only way I’d do it.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Possibly but I see a trade for a young, controllable starter as more likely in that scenario. I wonder if the Reds would entertain a trade involving Luis Castillo.

For sure, they will explore all options.  I'm just saying that if they somehow jackpot this slot machine, they aren't done

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you feel this optimistic?

I just don’t think there are huge markets for either guy and I feel like Reinsdorf is actually motivated to spend big.  It honestly seems like the perfect storm right now of desire, cash flow, & opportunity.

• Like 1

If the Sox sign Machado I think they offer Harper something like 10/300 and I think Harper just goes back to Washington and signs for the proposed deal which I think was 10/286. 

Looking at it more i just don't see the Sox offering both guys so much more than others that were these more attractive destinations.

Edited by Harry Chappas

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t think there are huge markets for either guy and I feel like Reinsdorf is actually motivated to spend big.  It honestly seems like the perfect storm right now of desire, cash flow, & opportunity.

I agree and good timing as well with the Indians and Cubs both peaking a couple years back. Opportunity both within the division and local market (TV ratings) in the near future.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I definitely agree. The market just isn't as is big as these guys were hoping for. I think it's down to the Sox/Dodgers for Harper and the Sox/Phillies/Yankees for Machado. If Reinsdorf is willing to pay up, there is certainly reason to think that the Sox could get both.

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would your lineup look like if we landed Machado and Harper? For the sake of consistency, let's assume these are the 9 starters:

Castillo, Abreu, Alonso, Moncada, Anderson, Machado, Eloy, Engel, Harper

Provided they land both of them I think you see them move some lower end but still interesting pieces for a CF like Mallex Smith in the Rutherford/Basable/Adolfo range.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah it does seem like the perfect opportunity to strike and sign both since you're not competing with the big spenders (Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees and Dodgers to an extent) . And it even sounds like Yankees will have a limit on Machado.

Edited by soxfan2014

6 minutes ago, knightni said:

Imagine having to choose between Moncada and Madrigal to start at 2B.

Would they really try to put Moncada in CF?

Harper could play CF, with Eloy in right.

Then Palka could play circus juggling in LF.

Our outfield defense would be horrendous at that point. He can't play CF. If (which I dont will actually happen, but...) we got Harper, he will be in RF and Eloy in LF.