Harper + Machado?

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Jake said:

There are very few benefits to tanking at this point. All you get for it anymore is draft position, which is not very important in baseball. Trading short-term assets for long-term assets and not wasting money can be sensible, but in general there's no good reason for a team to try to be bad just for the sake of losing.

While I agree the Sox should move towards trying to start winning games sooner rather than later, this is totally untrue.

Look at the Astros, who mostly converted very high draft picks into star players like Correa, Bregman, Tucker (top prospect), etc. Cubs did the same with Bryant right near the top of the draft. While it is no guaranty, draft position does matter quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

There are very few benefits to tanking at this point. All you get for it anymore is draft position, which is not very important in baseball. Trading short-term assets for long-term assets and not wasting money can be sensible, but in general there's no good reason for a team to try to be bad just for the sake of losing.

More than draft position, it's the bonus money pool. when the team has a larger bonus pool they can take chances on later picks and offer them higher bonuses to entice them to skip college and sign.

8 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

While I agree the Sox should move towards trying to start winning games sooner rather than later, this is totally untrue.

Look at the Astros, who mostly converted very high draft picks into star players like Correa, Bregman, Tucker (top prospect), etc. Cubs did the same with Bryant right near the top of the draft. While it is no guaranty, draft position does matter quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

More than draft position, it's the bonus money pool. when the team has a larger bonus pool they can take chances on later picks and offer them higher bonuses to entice them to skip college and sign.

Both the Cubs and Astros had the added incentive of having more allowable spending on international prospects. The new CBA now gives all teams the same amount* to spend. The Astros built quite a bit from the draft, but as I've mentioned a few times on here the Cubs championship team was basically Kris Bryant plus a mixture of free agents, trade acquisitions, and players drafted before they started tanking.

Bigger bonus pool in the draft is nice, but it can only be useful if you're getting a player who doesn't deserve to be drafted where you pick him with your high pick(s).

*small-market teams can spend slightly more, but it is not related to record

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:
  1. Jay (L)
  2. Moncada (S)
  3. Harper (L)
  4. Machado (R)
  5. Abreu (R)
  6. Jimenez (R)
  7. Alonso (L)
  8. Castillo (R)
  9. Anderson (R)

Looks pretty solid, especially if Jay can recapture his 2017 form and 370+ OBP.

For line up construction, I would sent Jay down to #9 and move everyone else up 1.

Goal should be able to get high OBP machines like Moncada/Harper most at bats and Machado/Eloy in the 3 and 5 holes. 

At the 6th spot, Eloy would lose a decent amount of at bats and run producing opportunities. 

Jay is a very serviceable #9 hitter with his high OBP. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

For line up construction, I would sent Jay down to #9 and move everyone else up 1.

Goal should be able to get high OBP machines like Moncada/Harper most at bats and Machado/Eloy in the 3 and 5 holes. 

At the 6th spot, Eloy would lose a decent amount of at bats and run producing opportunities. 

Jay is a very serviceable #9 hitter with his high OBP. 

It’s quite possible that Jay has a higher OBP than Moncada this season.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s quite possible that Jay has a higher OBP than Moncada this season.

Sure, but Moncada will have much higher speed, much more home runs, and just an overall better bat. You want that at the top of the line up soaking up the amount of at bats compared to Jay. Plus, Moncada needs the AB's for the future, he could blow up -- Jay ain't going anywhere but down. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Sure, but Moncada will have much higher speed, much more home runs, and just an overall better bat. You want that at the top of the line up soaking up the amount of at bats compared to Jay. Plus, Moncada needs the AB's for the future, he could blow up -- Jay ain't going anywhere but down. 

My thought is that there is less pressure hitting in the #2 hole than leadoff as well (easier to let a pro like Jay take it now than a still very young Moncada). At least that’s how I felt when I played. I always much preferred the #2 hole.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My thought is that there is less pressure hitting in the #2 hole than leadoff as well (easier to let a pro like Jay take it now than a still very young Moncada). At least that’s how I felt when I played. I always much preferred the #2 hole.

Sure, but we will have a loaded line up with the addition of Harper/Machado/Eloy.

I want Harper in the 2 hole, Machado in the 3 hole, and Eloy in the 5 hole. Abreu logically fits in at the 4th hole. 

That leaves #1 up to Moncada or Jay. I'd go Moncada as he is the much more versatile hitter. He should beat Jay in about every statistical category this year assuming advancements are made. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Sure, but we will have a loaded line up with the addition of Harper/Machado/Eloy.

I want Harper in the 2 hole, Machado in the 3 hole, and Eloy in the 5 hole. Abreu logically fits in at the 4th hole. 

That leaves #1 up to Moncada or Jay. I'd go Moncada as he is the much more versatile hitter. He should beat Jay in about every statistical category this year assuming advancements are made. 

Either Jay or Moncada, a good “problem” to have. Both potential 350+ OBP guys.