Harper + Machado?

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

guhh

But does he want to share the spotlight with Judge, Stanton, etc. or became the face of the franchise here or in Philly ? And there is a lot more pressure playing in NY and perhaps Philly than with the White Sox. 

Edited by maggsmaggs

14 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

But does he want to share the spotlight with Judge, Stanton, etc. or became the face of the franchise here or in Philly ? And there is a lot more pressure playing in NY and perhaps Philly than with the White Sox. 

not to mention the difference in money due to taxes. 

Heard some guys in MLB Radio saying that they fully expect Machado to go to the Yankees and Harper to go to the Dodgers. They said the White Sox are not even a long shot at this point and our best bet is that we go after Nolan Arenado when he becomes a free agent in 2020. The White Sox will might be closer to contention in 2020 and maybe they can entice Arenado with a huge bank breaking contract. 

I still say we end up with Puig next year  

14 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Heard some guys in MLB Radio saying that they fully expect Machado to go to the Yankees and Harper to go to the Dodgers. They said the White Sox are not even a long shot at this point and our best bet is that we go after Nolan Arenado when he becomes a free agent in 2020. The White Sox will might be closer to contention in 2020 and maybe they can entice Arenado with a huge bank breaking contract. 

There is 2 problems with that the Dodgers don't wanna pay Harper big time money and it seems like Yankees don't wanna pay Machado $300 mil.

54 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Regarding the bolded, those guys clearly aren't paying attention.  

57 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

While the Sox have a seat at the table, I would still consider us to be dark horses for Harper/Machado for a few reasons.

1) We have yet to sign a free agent to a deal larger than Abreu's. There's a first time for everything, but I'll believe it when it happens. 

2) Joining a rebuilding club vs. a contender is not an easy sell. Sox sadly play second fiddle to the Cubs in this town as well.

We certainly have a chance at each player, but I am not as optimistic as most fans are about our chances. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

While the Sox have a seat at the table, I would still consider us to be dark horses for Harper/Machado for a few reasons.

1) We have yet to sign a free agent to a deal larger than Abreu's. There's a first time for everything, but I'll believe it when it happens. 

2) Joining a rebuilding club vs. a contender is not an easy sell. Sox sadly play second fiddle to the Cubs in this town as well.

We certainly have a chance at each player, but I am not as optimistic as most fans are about our chances. 

They said on mlb network in last 60 years alot top free agents sign with rebuilding teams.

Just now, peavy44 said:

They said on mlb network in last 60 years alot top free agents sign with rebuilding teams.

I am absolutely not saying the Sox signing either, or both for that matter is impossible. I am just saying I think the odds of signing either are lower than many fans on Soxtalk. 

The front office has to know the time to strike is now, but I just don't know if they are willing to outbid the field by enough to make it happen?

17 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I am absolutely not saying the Sox signing either, or both for that matter is impossible. I am just saying I think the odds of signing either are lower than many fans on Soxtalk. 

The front office has to know the time to strike is now, but I just don't know if they are willing to outbid the field by enough to make it happen?

David Kaplan baseball sources says the Chicago  white sox won't be outbid on harper or machado.

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I'm thinking they probably said 16 years cuz that's about when ARod signed with Texas.

No they was talking about 500 teams or teams that loss 100 games and rebuilding and more free agents went to rebuilding teams in last  35 years.

14 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

What is the probability, in your mind, that we sign at least one of them?

4 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

David Kaplan baseball sources says the Chicago  white sox won't be outbid on harper or machado.

I will believe it when I see it happen. It makes sense for the Sox to be the high bidder, but when they have not been able to sign a high profile free agent in 20 years it certainly gives me pause. 

Trying to sign and actually signing are two completely different things. 

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I will believe it when I see it happen. It makes sense for the Sox to be the high bidder, but when they have not been able to sign a high profile free agent in 20 years it certainly gives me pause. 

Trying to sign and actually signing are two completely different things. 

Who says white sox try in last 20 years sign big name.

2 hours ago, Sockin said:

Not news but this has been bugging the shit out of me for the last week plus.

There are very few benefits to tanking at this point. All you get for it anymore is draft position, which is not very important in baseball. Trading short-term assets for long-term assets and not wasting money can be sensible, but in general there's no good reason for a team to try to be bad just for the sake of losing.