Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

I know there's been plenty of discussion on him but like 7.5 Harper mega threads and 0 for Manny? Is that an indication that Harper is the clear cut preference of the board? And what's the max years/dollars you would offer him?

And 1 more hypothetical question...

-If it was the difference in him signing with the Sox or not, would you move TA (CF?) and let Manny play SS?

13 hours ago, Saufley said:

If Machado wanted to play SS I'd say it's yours. 

Actually, there is no long term reason why Anderson could not switch to third.  My preference would be that he stay at short, but he could pick up third quickly.

10 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Actually, there is no long term reason why Anderson could not switch to third.  My preference would be that he stay at short, but he could pick up third quickly.

True, but then you’d have a guy playing SS who is better at 3B and a guy playing 3B who is better at SS (I would assume). 

24 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

True, but then you’d have a guy playing SS who is better at 3B and a guy playing 3B who is better at SS (I would assume). 

Yes, but that gap would close, plus they are both better than the alternative.

40 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why is Anderson even a concern? I don't think he's proven to be anything more than a mediocre player. What am I missing here?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Why is Anderson even a concern? I don't think he's proven to be anything more than a mediocre player. What am I missing here?

Well overall I think there's a solid case that Anderson is a substantially better defensive SS than Machado. The numbers back that up commpletely last year, Anderson was rotten at SS in 2017 but that's also the year where he was distracted by personal issues. Anderson's been a 2 WAR player which is an average player, and he's better defensively, so he would have a role if he kept doing that. Having "good and cheap" players fill roles alongside the big guys is an important part of a roster.

15 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Yeah, why are guys that go 20/20 and play the middle infield even a concern.  I mean, he is already almost 25 and a half.  No room for improvement at all.  

What is that??  Mitch Haniger was in AAA when he was 25?  Shut up!

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Where did news of the Monday meeting come from? Everybody has been saying it here, so I’m sure there was an original source, but I’m not sure what the source was. 

Bruce levine, and a bunch of white sox twitter guys have reported it

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, why are guys that go 20/20 and play the middle infield even a concern.  I mean, he is already almost 25 and a half.  No room for improvement at all.  

What is that??  Mitch Haniger was in AAA when he was 25?  Shut up!

Turnin Two is correct. He was a league average player at 25. He has plenty of room to grow. With the quickness of his hands, he has a ton of potential

• Quin locked this topic