Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

While contract offers haven’t been submitted, these agents aren’t setting up these meetings if they don’t know “real”’offers will be made by the teams. 

Formal offers haven’t been submitted, but you can be certain rough ranges have been exchanged.  Machado’s agent isn’t going to due a site visit for a club that doesn’t intend a significant offer.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Formal offers haven’t been submitted, but you can be certain rough ranges have been exchanged.  Machado’s agent isn’t going to due a site visit for a club that doesn’t intend a significant offer.

Sure they could if they want to make others perceive they’re getting a big offer from such team. Don’t think that’s happening here though.

It would be interesting to know if Hahn had this idea of keeping Castillo (jettisoning Narvaez/Smith) as the #1 and bringing in Alonso at the very beginning of October...hopefully it all works out, because Machado has already had a significant effect on the MLB careers of Abreu, Alonso, Narvaez/Colome, McCann and Smith, and he's not even on our team yet.  Same with Alex Call.

Then you'd have to add in Anderson and possibly Moncada too, if Machado ends up at SS (which seems silly).

We also could have essentially had Wilson Ramos/K.Smith for the same price as Castillo/McCann.  Choices.

Edited by caulfield12

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It would be interesting to know if Hahn had this idea of keeping Castillo (jettisoning Narvaez/Smith) as the #1 and bringing in Alonso at the very beginning of October...hopefully it all works out, because Machado has already had a significant effect on the MLB careers of Abreu, Alonso, Narvaez/Colome, McCann and Smith, and he's not even on our team yet.  Same with Alex Call.

Then you'd have to add in Anderson and possibly Moncada too, if Machado ends up at SS (which seems silly).

We also could have essentially had Wilson Ramos/K.Smith for the same price as Castillo/McCann.  Choices.

Wellington is a better all around catcher than narvaez, yonder is a replacement for Davidson and he's better, and there was no room for Alex call (plus he sucks). Yeah these were definitely influenced by machado..but I still think these moves make us better

1 hour ago, Tony said:

While contract offers haven’t been submitted, these agents aren’t setting up these meetings if they don’t know “real”’offers will be made by the teams. 

Contract offers have absolutely been offered. We already have offers out to harper/machado, and I'm sure other teams do too

1 hour ago, Tony said:

True but also think about the time, effort, energy and money going into meeting with these free agents. That’s a LOT of wasted resources if you aren’t serious. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think you missed my point, maybe I wasn’t clear in what I was trying to say. 

The Sox, and Machado’s people aren’t meeting if they both don’t believe both parties are serious. You’re right, there are a ton of resources at play that you aren’t doing if you aren’t serious. (That includes Yonder)

Exactly..there have already been initial offers sent out, and even boras said that him and harper have moved onto the negotiation phase. Buster's info is just the white sox trying to negotiate through the media

We all know Machado would love to play for the Yankees, but let’s say we offer him 10/$350M while New York only offers him 8/$240M.  How could he look his wife in the eyes and tell her he’s passing on all that guaranteed money and the chance to play with her brother for a period of time?  To me, if the Yankees decide they’re unwilling to overpay for his services, then we can actually win this thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We all know Machado would love to play for the Yankees, but let’s say we offer him 10/$350M while New York only offers him 8/$240M.  How could he look his wife in the eyes and tell her he’s passing on all that guaranteed money and the chance to play with her brother for a period of time?  To me, if the Yankees decide they’re unwilling to overpay for his services, then we can actually win this thing.

I think the only way the Sox can get Machado is if they offer more years + more $ than the Yankees. Having Alonso and Castillo on the team help, but they will still need to beat the Yankees offer to have a chance, especially if he's that dead set on being a Yankee like we are all hearing.

• Quin locked this topic