Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Machado to meet with Yanks on Wednesday, Phils on Thursday
Dec. 16Manny Machado will formally meet with the Yankees on Wednesday in New York, according to George A. King III of the New York Post. And he'll meet with the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on Thursday, reports NBC Sports' Jim Salisbury

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-manny-machado-rumors/c-285627736

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Machado to meet with Yanks on Wednesday, Phils on Thursday
Dec. 16Manny Machado will formally meet with the Yankees on Wednesday in New York, according to George A. King III of the New York Post. And he'll meet with the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on Thursday, reports NBC Sports' Jim Salisbury

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-manny-machado-rumors/c-285627736

That is the worst name for an American I’ve ever seen.

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

Good thing it's nice weather today. If it was a shitty 10 degrees I'm sure that could hurt your chances as dumb as that seems

But having his brother in law is equivalent to 75 and sunny so we are doing good.

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Good thing it's nice weather today. If it was a shitty 10 degrees I'm sure that could hurt your chances as dumb as that seems

I dont think it really matters. It's not like he would live here in the winter anyway.

I think the report about us not going big is simply to say we aren’t going to break records.  Using Stanton’s 325M as the bar and Buster’s comment, maybe Harper/Machado are going to come in around or under that number.  It’s not to say they are going to be had at a discount, but the talk has bloated that estimate to 400M in some circles and that’s the balloon the new dialog is intended to pop.  Everyone knows these guys are going to get a huge contract, but people are trying to keep the crazies in check.  

I wonder if 10 years is even what Boras/Machado wants? I know he/they want opt out clauses, but at age 26 it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. I’d want more like 6/7 years to hit FA again when contracts will likely be even crazier. 

I’d offer him something like 6 years $190M with an opt out after 3 to  see if it entices him.

35 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Ya, the weather thing is overrated. But anyway, if it's Chicago, NY and Philly, all have bad weather.

NY weather in the winter is better than ours. Their cold days are 40's for the most part, and they don't have nearly as much wind and bitterness. They get blasted by snow too, but it's just better weather. I'm not sure about Philly. 

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I wonder if 10 years is even what Boras/Machado wants? I know he/they want opt out clauses, but at age 26 it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. I’d want more like 6/7 years to hit FA again when contracts will likely be even crazier. 

I’d offer him something like 6 years $190M with an opt out after 3 to  see if it entices him.

You always want those last 3 years in a contract if you can get it because that's the security in case your career does a Jason Heyward trajectory. You take the opt outs in the longer deal because that is far more favorable to the player than a shorter term deal.

My predictions:

- Bryce Harper will get a record setting contract

- Manny Machado will not

Both will get more AAV than Stanton however. I am not even quite sure that Machado will clear 300.

I'd put it at like 50/50.

If this ages poorly please delete forum.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

There’s zero downside with them getting 10 years (assuming opt-ours) so they’ll definitely ask for 10 years.

5 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

the yankees said they won't go $300 million for machado

peavy please try to use the quote feature (see the quote text under each post) that you are responding to, and try to pull in all of your thoughts into a post instead of ten in a row. It's really hard to follow any thread when you separate everything.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You always want those last 3 years in a contract if you can get it because that's the security in case your career does a Jason Heyward trajectory. You take the opt outs in the longer deal because that is far more favorable to the player than a shorter term deal.

True, wasn’t thinking about the possibility of multiple opt out clauses...probably because it seems like a crazy thing to do for the team. But Manny and Boras have all the leverage with multiple teams interested so they will likely get someone to give in to what they want

• Quin locked this topic