Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, Baron said:

I think the chance we sign either right now is remote at best. 

You've mentioned that.  The fact that MM is in Chicago right now and is 1/3 teams he is visiting in person this week, evidence seems to suggest otherwise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

You've mentioned that.  The fact that MM is in Chicago right now and is 1/3 teams he is visiting in person this week, evidence seems to suggest otherwise.  

As long as they are willing to spend the most, we have a shot. If they have a number in mind they won't go past but the Phillies or Yankees offer more than that, there is no shot.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just because we're one of the three teams doesn't mean we have a good chance. Carmelo Anthony visited Chicago. They had a slim chance of signing him. Why? Because NY could offer him much more money. Good chance that happens here.  

Edited by Baron

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

Just because we're one of the three teams doesn't mean we have a good chance. Carmelo Anthony visited Chicago. They had a slim chance of signing him. Why? Because NY could offer him much more money. Good chance that happens here.  

What evidence or reporting have you seen that indicates the White Sox will not offer him as much as the other two teams?

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

Not sure they would go through all of this trouble if they weren't prepared to offer a substantial amount of money

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Doesn't sound in any way confirmed, but WSD suggesting Yonder is at the presentation.  WSD also mixed around that Alonso's sister is married to Manny.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/manny-machado-is-at-guaranteed-rate-stadium-as-we-speak/?_branch_match_id=597156530125510106

I think he might've been assuming that yonder was there because he was taking questions from Chicago media, but everyone on here said it was by phone

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Not sure they would go through all of this trouble if they weren't prepared to offer a substantial amount of money

"Substantial" and "Market Rate" are 2 very different things.  If it comes out that they were knowingly cheap on their offer I'm done with this team till Reinsdorf sells

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

What evidence or reporting have you seen that indicates the White Sox will not offer him as much as the other two teams?

I think the offer more than New York but not more than the Phillies. 

I think the Phillies will hand over a blank check and allow Manny to fill it in. Duquette mentioned that he doesn't think we'll loosen the purse strings.  I just don't see Jerry doing it. 

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Doesn't sound in any way confirmed, but WSD suggesting Yonder is at the presentation.  WSD also mixed around that Alonso's sister is married to Manny.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/manny-machado-is-at-guaranteed-rate-stadium-as-we-speak/?_branch_match_id=597156530125510106

I initially read that at "Yolmer" and pictured him dumping Gatorade on himself as soon as Manny walked through the door...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

And more importantly, I don't think Machado or Harper would be entertaining the Sox if they didn't think it was worth their time.

15 minutes ago, Baron said:

I have a feeling that MM and his agents have discussed dollars with the Sox before arriving in Chicago. 

And yah, maybe the Phillies spend "stupid money" and offer MM $400M, and if that is the case, yes he probably is signing there.  But that is far from guaranteed, and using the term "remote" just seems like blind pessimism at this point.  I understand the reluctance to believe the Sox will actually do what is necessary to sign either of these guys, but all signs currently point to them being the running.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And more importantly, I don't think Machado or Harper would be entertaining the Sox if they didn't think it was worth their time.

That's not quite true, they would lose a potential bidder. They could be there just to get the Phillies/yankees to bid more

The Sox aren't going to tell anyone what they are willing to bid. That is to be negotiated.  And they don't gain anything by letting the cat out of the bag.

I just wonder what happens today. Do they make a crazy offer or an offer at all before he visits anywhere else? It could be great but what if the Yankees come close and the Phillies blow it away, and the Sox were willing to go higher? J wish the Sox were the last visit. That way you can say what is it going to take to get this done right now. I don't think that could happen today.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox aren't going to tell anyone what they are willing to bid. That is to be negotiated.  And they don't gain anything by letting the cat out of the bag.

I just wonder what happens today. Do they make a crazy offer or an offer at all before he visits anywhere else? It could be great but what if the Yankees come close and the Phillies blow it away, and the Sox were willing to go higher? J wish the Sox were the last visit. That way you can say what is it going to take to get this done right now. I don't think that could happen today.

Totally with you on the benefits of going last.  Maybe we could talk him into signing tonight and saving a week’s worth of travel expenses and lavish living going to all these meetings???  That’s got to count towards something?!  

Edited by FT35

Agree with the above from a negotiating standpoint but there is something to be said about going first when you are jamming long meetings into a small time frame like this.  The clients are usually refreshed and ready get to understand the product but often times the meetings become dull and repetitive towards the end.  

• Quin locked this topic