Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Some advice to any fake insiders who want to make anyone think they have real info. Never say things will quiet down for a few days after the Winter Meetings. Especially if they were pretty slow. There are always a couple trades and signings in the 3 or 4 days that follow.

Yep. Sometimes the groundwork is laid for deals.

1 hour ago, justBLAZE said:

His earlier tweets suggest Sox want to lock him up before leaving.

Personally, not buying it.

I can confirm this. My source says Manny's agent was pushing to fulfill their meetings with NY and Philly this week, out of respect for their teams and keeping a relationship for his agent, but seems like Manny was wanting to sign today.

I have never been more confident in the Sox signing either of these guys than I am now after talking with my source. Yankees and Phillies meetings could obviously change that if they slam dunk it, but I think it's happening you guys.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I can confirm this. My source says Manny's agent was pushing to fulfill their meetings with NY and Philly this week, out of respect for their teams and keeping a relationship for his agent, but seems like Manny was wanting to sign today.

I have never been more confident in the Sox signing either of these guys than I am now after talking with my source. Yankees and Phillies meetings could obviously change that if they slam dunk it, but I think it's happening you guys.

I'd guess that they're still meeting right now

1 hour ago, oneofthemikes said:

Not sure why everyone is so quick to dismiss people that claim to have information. The Quintana deal was literally broken by two redditors named KatyPerrysBootyHole and WetButt23. 

This guy could ultimately end up being a troll, but it’s not always only the main national guys that have info.

Forget the FA's I am too distracted with Katy P's ladybits. 

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He's staying in Chicago until Wednesday. Hoping some Sox players take him and Alonso out to some cool spots.

I'm just trying to figure out if you're trolling, in light of the John Twitter account and whatnot. These meetings take 5+ hours usually, it began 5 hours ago, and Levine said it would include stops around the Chicago area. I guess I'm just surprised that it would already be over given how much they seemed to have planned

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I'm just trying to figure out if you're trolling, in light of the John Twitter account and whatnot. These meetings take 5+ hours usually, it began 5 hours ago, and Levine said it would include stops around the Chicago area. I guess I'm just surprised that it would already be over given how much they seemed to have planned

yes, I would be very surprised if it's over by now

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I have no idea if it's still going on or not, I didn't ask. I do know some of the spots they took him to, but I won't go in to any more detail, but it's places you would assume.

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Is this legit or are you kidding?

Old enough that I try not to get caught up in the whatifs, but, man, Manny Machado is simply such a perfect fit for this ballclub.

Assuming he comes to his senses and plays 3B -- where he's a complete stud -- everything about this team changes. Sure, take a run at Harper too, but unlikely that happens. In fact, perhaps divide Harper's money for the next few years and bring in Brantley and Dallas Keuchel for 3 year deals -- and have left-over $$$ for possible pennant stretch acquisitions in 2020 and 2021. Brantley in particular could be such a good fit for this team of free-swingers. Teach by example the benefit of contact hitting (at least when it matters). And yes, he's lost a lot in the OF, but he starts in CF between the Palkas, Eloys, and Alonsos of the world, but shifts to a corner at the end of  many games when Engel or Leury adds some speed.

This team -- now -- needs a top-echelon talent, a true star. Yes, we have a lot of potential stars coming up through the ranks, but take the pressure off the kids by putting it on the shoulders of someone who has actually reached that level.

I'm optimistic because despite their many missteps (and some out-and-out pratfalls), I do think that Hahn and Jerry R. are serious intelligent guys and they "get it." So don't just get it, guys ... get it done!

Edited by CyAcosta41

Just now, CyAcosta41 said:

Old enough that I try not to get caught up in the whatifs, but, man,  Manny Machado is simply such a perfect fit for this ballclub.

Assuming he comes to his senses and plays 3B -- where he's a complete stud -- everything about this team changes. Sure, take a run at Harper too, but unlikely that happens. In fact, perhaps divide Harper's money for the next few years and bring in Brantley and Dallas Keuchel for 3 year deals -- and have left-over $$$ for possible pennant stretch acquisitions in 2020 and 2021. Brantley in particular could be such a good fit for this team of free-swingers. Teach by example the benefit of contact hitting (at least when it matters). And yes, he's lost a lot in the OF, but he starts in CF between the Palkas, Eloys, and Alonsos of the world, but shifts to a corner at the end of  many games when Engel or Leury adds some speed.

This team -- now -- needs a top-echelon talent, a true star. Yes, we have a lot of potential stars coming up through the ranks, but take the pressure of the kids by putting it on the shoulders of someone who has actually reached that level.

I'm optimistic because despite their many missteps (and some out-and-out pratfalls), I do think that Hahn and Jerry R. are serious intelligent guys and they "get it." So don't just get it, guys ... get it done!

Brantley just signed with Astros but agreed on the premise of the post.

3 minutes ago, CyAcosta41 said:

Old enough that I try not to get caught up in the whatifs, but, man,  Manny Machado is simply such a perfect fit for this ballclub.

This team -- now -- needs a top-echelon talent, a true star. Yes, we have a lot of potential stars coming up through the ranks, but take the pressure of the kids by putting it on the shoulders of someone who has actually reached that level.

Brantley just signed with the Astros

It’s about time the conversation in this thread switched to Machado. He is the guy we need. Harper would be amazing as well, but MM is just such a better fit. 

Of course, getting Machado signed can’t hurt with Harper if JR decides to have some fun and go for it for the next harlf decade. The organization has earned the ability. 

Edited by ChiSox59

14 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'd dead serious. I would imagine if it's true about then taking the other 2 meetings only out of respect and for his agents benefit, then I would just guess he could sign as early as Friday or Saturday.

Nope! Can't let him get out of town without signing. 

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'd dead serious. I would imagine if it's true about then taking the other 2 meetings only out of respect and for his agents benefit, then I would just guess he could sign as early as Friday or Saturday.

I'll take you for it, that's pretty awesome

12 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?????????

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think I would pee my pants for joy.

8 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Brantley just signed with Astros but agreed on the premise of the post.

Ha. That will teach me about being away from the computer all day. Stayed awy because didn't want to ride the waves of the Manny visit while it was happening.

In any case, yes, unlikely to get Harper too (Phils will probably offer the moon at that point), but bring in a solid pro of a starter and a solid pro of an outfielder to get respectable this year (with a puncher's chance of something crazy happening). But in the meantime, teach the kiddies something about what it takes to be a pro. Guys like Anderson and Moncada (and soon Eloy) have all the talent in the world. Learning to use it for the overall good of a TEAM is what's needed. No way do the Sox bring in Manny without bringing in a few more pros for the expected upswing of 19/20/21.

Damn about Brantley -- personally, I think he's highly underrated.

Edited by CyAcosta41

13 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I’m skeptical, obviously, but we do know that the Sox traded for Alonzo and the meetings for NY and Philly are 1 day visits. It’s evidence that, if a decision has been made, the Sox know it. But normally you wouldn’t let a bidder know that before visiting everyone. 

• Quin locked this topic