Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Am I the only one who thinks tying up ~75 million a year to two guys isn't the best idea? I think it would cause our hands to be tied in filling out the rest of the roster and might backfire. If it were to happen I'd be thrilled and wouldn't complain, just a little hesitant

I really don't think they'll sign both. 

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Am I the only one who thinks tying up ~75 million a year to two guys isn't the best idea? I think it would cause our hands to be tied in filling out the rest of the roster and might backfire. If it were to happen I'd be thrilled and wouldn't complain, just a little hesitant

I think it we sign both guys, it means we’ll be rocking $175M payrolls for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it we sign both guys, it means we’ll be rocking $175M payrolls for the foreseeable future.

Yeah if by some miracle you got JR to crack the piggy bank for BOTH guys it also has to mean 160m+ payrolls for a while.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

In the event that we sign Harper, I highly doubt Gonzalez, Rutherford, or maybe even Basabe are getting consistent ABs for us. Eloy-Robert-Harper would probably be the outfield

Eloy and/or Harper could end up playing some 1B/DH (speaking of Sheets is also a lefty). Regardless, this is a silly discussion.

5 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

It’s not the best idea, especially for a team that most likely will require an act of God to ever be flirting with the luxury tax. 

But it beats all the other plans now. If the White Sox prospects are successful and start to get expensive, there is going to be a sell off. But that is years off. You would change a lot of perceptions about the White Sox signing one of these guys. If the one in a million comes through and you sign both, you will change everyone’s perception. For where they have been, and where they are, I don’t know what that is worth, but I know it’s a lot.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s not the best idea, especially for a team that most likely will require an act of God to ever be flirting with the luxury tax. 

But it beats all the other plans now. If the White Sox prospects are successful and start to get expensive, there is going to be a sell off. But that is years off. You would change a lot of perceptions about the White Sox signing one of these guys. If the one in a million comes through and you sign both, you will change everyone’s perception.

Honestly, it all depends on our new TV deal.  I think people keep forgetting national TV money increased significantly over the past few years and we never saw the bump in payroll.  Thar combined with with a nice bump in our local TV deal could push us upwards of $160M easily with no attendance increase and maybe quite a bit more.

11 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

The hope would be -- and I stress hope --- that the bulk of the roster would be able to be filled with young inexpensive talent from the farm system the next 6-8 years while these contracts were on the books.  

14 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I’m guessing Mr. Reinsdorf knows what his TV offer is now and he knows what it would be with Moncada and Harper.  If the math works, Sox will get both.  Not an expense.  An investment.

I will say this, if we were somehow able to land both of them, we’d be sitting on a ton of prospects and nowhere to play them.  We have seven OF prospects and would maybe have room for three of them if Eloy was moved to 1B.  Madrigal would have to unsurp Moncada or Anderson to get an everyday job.  Seems like we’d have the prospect currency to go out and land a cost-controlled TOR starter (prior to the 2020 season) to anchor an otherwise young rotation.  Not sure who might be available a year from now though.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, if we were somehow able to land both of them, we’d be sitting on a ton of prospects and nowhere to play them.  We have seven OF prospects and would maybe have room for three of them if Eloy was moved to 1B.  Madrigal would have to unsurp Moncada or Anderson to get an everyday job.  Seems like we’d have the prospect currency to go out and land a cost-controlled TOR starter (prior to the 2020 season) to anchor an otherwise young rotation.  Not sure who might be available a year from now though.

7 prospects, doesn’t mean they hit on all of them though, I have seen too many position players turn into busts from the whitesox to be able to count on any of them outside of Jimenez 

Edited by beckham15

Just now, beckham15 said:

7 prospects, doesn’t mean they hit on all of them though, seen too many position players turn into busts from the whitesox to be able to count on any of them outside of Jimenez 

Holding onto seven OF prospects and having nowhere to play them at some point in the future would be foolish though.  Jimenez & Robert aren’t going anywhere, but after that I fully expect to trade at least of two guys in the 18 months or so.

• Quin locked this topic