Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Okay, any loop workers be on the lookout this morning. Any black Escalade feel free to peak inside. If you spot them grab a taxi and ask them to follow them. When you get to airport do a TMZ style interview. Let’s do this sox talk.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Okay, any loop workers be on the lookout this morning. Any black Escalade feel free to peak inside. If you spot them grab a taxi and ask them to follow them. When you get to airport do a TMZ style interview. Let’s do this sox talk.

He probably stayed in River North, if he stayed over night. 

I think you guys are discounting the convenience of being close to O'Hare in the morning.  Most likely JR got him a sweet deal at the Extended Stay next to the Allstate Arena.  Quick 5 minute jaunt to the airport, and you got a Chili's, Steak & shake, and 24 hour IHOP nearby!

1 minute ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I think you guys are discounting the convenience of being close to O'Hare in the morning.  Most likely JR got him a sweet deal at the Extended Stay next to the Allstate Arena.  Quick 5 minute jaunt to the airport, and you got a Chili's, Steak & shake, and 24 hour IHOP nearby!

He might have thrown in a roll of quarters for the vending machines, too.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

4 dollar meals at Steak and Shake hell yes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I work in the loop and our office faces a high traffic area. I will move my cubicle to our lobby and stare out the window all day.

• Like 2

Not getting my hopes up....but I do like that rumors are Machado was impressed.  Phillies will probably come close in salary, and I don't see the Yanks being able to.  I do agree I wish we went last, but sometimes first impressions are the best impressions.

Let's throw out some what if's here.  What if Machado is indeed so impressed that he decides to sign with White Sox quickly after meeting with Phils & Yanks...say this weekend.  And let's say the market dries up for Harper...Dodgers can't move anyone and he doesn't like the Phils.  Do the Sox open the checkbook again?  Would Harper actually be ok signing second?  I think Dodgers is most logical choice for Harper but I don't think they want to unless they can shed salary.

14 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Not getting my hopes up....but I do like that rumors are Machado was impressed.  Phillies will probably come close in salary, and I don't see the Yanks being able to.  I do agree I wish we went last, but sometimes first impressions are the best impressions.

Let's throw out some what if's here.  What if Machado is indeed so impressed that he decides to sign with White Sox quickly after meeting with Phils & Yanks...say this weekend.  And let's say the market dries up for Harper...Dodgers can't move anyone and he doesn't like the Phils.  Do the Sox open the checkbook again?  Would Harper actually be ok signing second?  I think Dodgers is most logical choice for Harper but I don't think they want to unless they can shed salary.

Yes, but I also don't think pocketbooks dry up when youre the Cubs and Dodgers. If he gets to a reasonable number then those owners will make it work somehow. Even if it's signing him and then trading players.

18 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Who is reporting the Machado was impressed? I think most rumors here are speculations based on the fact he's not meeting Yankees until Wednesday.

I mean how connected would you have to be to report Machado was blown away by the Sox pitch, unless you're part of his very inner circle? For all we know the meeting/pitch could have gone on till late last night

11 hours ago, TomPickle said:

A Dunning, Basabe, and Rutherford package probably nets you a number 3 starter with a couple years of team control.

Ummm I think 2 top 100 prospects, plus another guy that isn't far behind, gets you a pretty darn good SP.  This is a pretty darn good package.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Ummm I think 2 top 100 prospects, plus another guy that isn't far behind, gets you a pretty darn good SP.  This is a pretty darn good package.  

Yeah, that is a pretty solid package. Not outstanding yet, but it would be if Basabe had another great year and Rutherford improves further. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, maybe a number 3 is aiming a little low with that package. I just meant that even though those guys are all good prospects, none of them have that high of a ceiling (unless you think Basabe can be a .280 hitter). I just don't know what kind of a return you get on a package of high floor prospects.

58 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes, but I also don't think pocketbooks dry up when youre the Cubs and Dodgers. If he gets to a reasonable number then those owners will make it work somehow. Even if it's signing him and then trading players.

The Cubs are owned by a trust fund, not Pizza man.  They aren’t going to do anything crazy until they’ve paid off their purchase and have that new local TV deal in place.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Cubs are owned by a trust fund, not Pizza man.  They aren’t going to do anything crazy until they’ve paid off their purchase and have that new local TV deal in place.

Maybe the Sox and the cubs TV deals are looking like two totally different impacts to the teams bottom line.  Not that the cubs deal won't be lucrative but the sox/hawks/bulls and bears coverage v cubs and bears CSN type coverage isn't as lucrative.

12 hours ago, TomPickle said:

I don't think the Sox are that well suited to land a top of the rotation starter (at least not one with more than 1 year remaining). Eloy, Kopech, Cease and Robert all seem untouchable for one reason or another. Maybe a bounce back year from Hansen could change the outlook, but right now most of the tradable assets are all outfielders. No team is going to unload a top end starter for three outfielders that all look to be solid, but unspectacular players. 

A Dunning, Basabe, and Rutherford package probably nets you a number 3 starter with a couple years of team control.

Dunning will be a 3 starter. That return would be entirely underwhelming for those three guys.

• Quin locked this topic