Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 hour ago, justBLAZE said:

Who is reporting the Machado was impressed? I think most rumors here are speculations based on the fact he's not meeting Yankees until Wednesday.

I mean how connected would you have to be to report Machado was blown away by the Sox pitch, unless you're part of his very inner circle? For all we know the meeting/pitch could have gone on till late last night

He was impressed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I think you guys are discounting the convenience of being close to O'Hare in the morning.  Most likely JR got him a sweet deal at the Extended Stay next to the Allstate Arena.  Quick 5 minute jaunt to the airport, and you got a Chili's, Steak & shake, and 24 hour IHOP nearby!

Yeah, I can see one of them from my office... No dice. 😂 

15 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

That's his upside. He could also further hurt his elbow and never crack the majors.

That return would be entirely underwhelming for those three guys. Also, it may just be my opinion, but Dunning's upside is a 2 starter.

Edited by Dam8610

31 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

That's his upside. He could also further hurt his elbow and never crack the majors.

Dunning could probably pitch in the majors right now.  The chances of him never cracking it are very low, unless he has career ending injury. 

13 hours ago, TomPickle said:

A Dunning, Basabe, and Rutherford package probably nets you a number 3 starter with a couple years of team control.

That's precisely the kind of trade the Sox should not make.  It's a 78 win farm depletion trade that leaves any sort of future up to Hahn/Hostetler drafting.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

That's precisely the kind of trade the Sox should not make.  It's a 78 win farm depletion trade that leaves any sort of future up to Hahn/Hostetler drafting.

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. I think the depth in the White Sox farm system is more valuable to them than a return they could get for a package for those prospects. Especially right now when it's just theoretical that they can compete rather than when they are in the midst of competing and maybe a piece or two away. Knowing what you need instead of just guessing makes a trade like that a lot more palatable.

Edited by TomPickle

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I too would rather hold onto those guys for the time being. At least wait and see if any of the majors in the majors takes any huge strides.

Heyman translation: He’s going to NYC. Btw, if the difference in getting him is position, suspect they will figure out a way for him to play SS. Think in order to get one of these guys, we have to demonstrate we have a pitching plan as well. Not getting Morton or another arm can’t help. Getting a number 4 in Nova not enough ... Hope is not a strategy

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ummm I think 2 top 100 prospects, plus another guy that isn't far behind, gets you a pretty darn good SP.  This is a pretty darn good package.  

Dunning + Basabe + Rutherford is a pretty strong package. I would think that absolutely gets you in a conversation about a cost controlled, quality young starting pitcher. 

6 minutes ago, shago said:

Heyman translation: He’s going to NYC. Btw, if the difference in getting him is position, suspect they will figure out a way for him to play SS. Think in order to get one of these guys, we have to demonstrate we have a pitching plan as well. Not getting Morton or another arm can’t help. Getting a number 4 in Nova not enough ... Hope is not a strategy

The Yankees? They already have a hole at SS for a portion of the year.

16 minutes ago, shago said:

If our FO is smart, they’ll be reiterating to Machado that when you sign a ten year contract, you have a lot more to think about than contention chances in year one.

I can see wanting to play for the Yankees or Phillies or trusting in one FO versus the other as potentially significant factors, but butwould be hard for me to believe that the White Sox projected 2019 record could be what disqualified them. Over ten years, you’re likely to see two complete contention cycles with any franchise, regardless of where each is at the start. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, shago said:

Meant the Sox would figure out his position if that was the key to signing him

If SS is the block, the White Sox will move Tim Anderson to CF.  I believe Anderson has already said he prefers SS, but could play anywhere on the field.

12 minutes ago, shago said:

Also, have to agree with AJ, would rather have Arenado next year ... not winning in 2019 anyway 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/aj-pierzynski-bothered-manny-machado-what-do-you-mean-you-dont-play-hard-every-day

Everyone is going to want Arenado. Waiting for him would be stupid.  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

If our FO is smart, they’ll be reiterating to Machado that when you sign a ten year contract, you have a lot more to think about than contention chances in year one.

I can see wanting to play for the Yankees or Phillies or trusting in one FO versus the other as potentially significant factors, but butwould be hard for me to believe that the White Sox projected 2019 record could be what disqualified them. Over ten years, you’re likely to see two complete contention cycles with any franchise, regardless of where each is at the start. 

Just don't use the current 10 year cycle. Over the  last 10 years, the White Sox have not made the playoffs. Phillies have 3 times w one WS and Yankees 7 times and 1 World Series.  Now maybe you tell Manny that is because we didn't draft him. 

• Quin locked this topic