Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the fact that the Sox are first in these meetings can be a scary proposition as usually that enables other teams to match, etc.  Makes you wonder how much you are being used for leverage vs. not (especially in MLB where players tend to take their time to sign vs. NFL or NBA where you want to be at the front of the list).  

Timing is only relevant to the impression you make. People remember the first and last, but there are only 3.

In any event, if the Phillies offer more, they are going to give the Sox a chance to match. That’s how you drive prices up. Everyone is used for leverage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the fact that the Sox are first in these meetings can be a scary proposition as usually that enables other teams to match, etc.  Makes you wonder how much you are being used for leverage vs. not (especially in MLB where players tend to take their time to sign vs. NFL or NBA where you want to be at the front of the list).  

You have to be at the front of the line if you’re a free agent in those leagues because there is a salary cap and money is limited. Of course there’s no salary cap in MLB, so players can take their time and really think about this decision because the money is always going to be there. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Regardless of whether it's with the Sox or not, I just hope leaks come out that he made up his mind this weekend and that it will be official by Monday. I want this all to end. Lol

Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but did you hear anything about today? Was he definitely still in Chicago all day?

Thanks for all the updates you’ve provided. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Regardless of whether it's with the Sox or not, I just hope leaks come out that he made up his mind this weekend and that it will be official by Monday. I want this all to end. Lol

Same. I echo most in here. I would think he’s maybe not close to a decision but it’s getting there and by the end of the weekend we should know.

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

I don't think it's naive at all. Dan Lozano clients sign much earlier then Boras.

Boras is probably hoping he signs with the Yankees.

Major Boras signings have typically come in December. Last year was an aberration. And these guys arent carrying the age burden that caused that.

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Isn't he the one who recently days the Sox are favorites for both guys and everyone believed him?

I might speak for everyone but I certainly speak for myself when I say that I really didn't believe him too much when he said that. He's a clown

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Major Boras signings have typically come in December. Last year was an aberration. And these guys arent carrying the age burden that caused that.

Boras has a number he is looking for every offseason for his top FA's when he doesn't get it he waits and waits and waits. Fielder waited until late January. Hosmer happened in February.

It doesn't look like a real robust market for Harper at this point. He'll wait. The Yankees have zero interest in Harper with their OF's the idea scenario for him is probably both the CWS and Phillies wanting harper without having landed a big fish.

• Quin locked this topic