Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Just now, Lillian said:

Russo is hard to take, but in this case, it's also hard to argue with him. The Sox are indeed "second class in the city". 

Then why did Abreu sign here? Robert? Dunn? Robertson? 

Because we offered the most money. "Why would Manny want to put himself in that situation on the South Side?"......maybe because we give him the money he's looking for. Jackass.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There's really no way to know. Logically we hope for just one, But if JR really wants to turn the baseball world upside down and cause mass hysteria  you never know.

It would be great days for white sox fans if we sign both.

Edited by peavy44

4 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

As it’s been stated.. the biggest contract will likely win. Sox need one if not both of these guys to change their image. 

Since they stuck their necks out and admitted what is being done, they need to get one. Getting both would obviously be great, but that isn't realistic. I was looking for when Hunter blew off the Sox in Nov 2017 and was reading some KW quotes and he was pissed off the Sox were mentioned signing anyone. Now he's on camera saying what they need is available now. If there are no financial restraints, pay what is needed. Each of these guys has a number where their dream team will not be their dream team anymore.

And what not getting Torii Hunter did to the White Sox was pretty amazing. Swisher would most likely never have happened. And we would probably never have had the Darrin Erstad Experience. Sometimes paying a couple of million more is well worth it.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Since they stuck their necks out and admitted what is being done, they need to get one. Getting both would obviously be great, but that isn't realistic. I was looking for when Hunter blew off the Sox in Nov 2017 and was reading some KW quotes and he was pissed off the Sox were mentioned signing anyone. Now he's on camera saying what they need is available now. If there are no financial restraints, pay what is needed. Each of these guys has a number where their dream team will not be their dream team anymore.

If harper market is the white sox philles braves as darkhorse it can happen.

5 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

But if we sign machado how likely is rick Hahn try get harper then.

Just my opinion, but I think signing Machado helps get Harper.  My guess is both is a very unlikely, but Machado has always been my preferred target.  We have guys that play a corner OF in the next few years.  We don't have a 3B (unless you want to count Moncada) that can be counted on anywhere in the system.  

Get Machado signed for a frontloaded 10/$340 with an advantageous opt out after 5 seasons, and turn around and offer Harper the same deal.  

Providing J. R. has no intention of signing both, to huge contracts, perhaps he should apply a little leverage, to counter the players' leverage of entertaining offers from multiple bidders. For example, the Sox front office could say; "We are prepared to offer one of you two a 10 year contract. It could include an opt out, after year 5 and pay $50 Million per year, for those first 5 years. Years 5 through 10 would be at a lesser amount, but the total contract would amount to $375 Million. The first one to take the offer, will be signed, which would take the offer off the table, for anyone else."

In other words, if the players can use several teams, in an attempt to create a bidding war, why can't a team use two players, to create a competition for the big contract?

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And what not getting Torii Hunter did to the White Sox was pretty amazing. Swisher would most likely never have happened. And we would probably never have had the Darrin Erstad Experience. Sometimes paying a couple of million more is well worth it.

Yeah I truly feel people underestimate the meltdown that will occur if the Sox miss out on both.  Besides for payroll flexibility, the Sox did nothing last year to try and make this a location that players would want to join. Yonder was a great addition for this, but just have to hope it wasn’t desperation.

• Like 1

IMO, to get both, a lot of teams' interest would have to be overstated. The Dodgers and Cubs wouldn't be able to enter. The Yankees would have to lowball, and the Phillies "stupid money" would have to be stupidly average if not even lower.

If you have the money to possibly get both, there should be no reason you do not get one.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Haha I'm a music lover. sang in choirs and enjoy musicals but somehow have just avoided things like Glee an the Pitch Perfect movies. I guess if it isnt JC Superstar , Phantom of the Opera, Fiddle on the Roof, West Side Story , Oklahoma, Guys and Dolls, South Pacific The King and I  or the sound of Music or even 1776 I've been on the outside looking in for a while.

But I did go see the Book of Mormon so I can tie that into Bryce Harper since he is Mormon. Also saw Hamilton which we all know is about the 2 Sox relief pitchers .

I agree.  You know Im a music nut. The live stuff, I'll go see as well. Just the corny movies drive me bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Providing J. R. has no intention of signing both, to huge contracts, perhaps he should apply a little leverage, to counter the players' leverage of entertaining offers from multiple bidders. For example, the Sox front office could say; "We are prepared to offer one of you two a 10 year contract. It could include an opt out, after year 5 and pay $50 Million per year, for those first 5 years. Years 5 through 10 would be at a lesser amount, but the total contract would amount to $375 Million. The first one to take the offer, will be signed, which would take the offer off the table, for anyone else."

"

Yah, major league teams aren't handling several hundred million dollar contracts in this fashion. 

• Quin locked this topic