Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Just a reminder, but most rumors come with an agenda.  Occasionally a player or agent may let something honest slip, but most of the stuff we’ll hear in the next few days will be plants.  There is zero reason to panic regardless of what is said unless someone like Rosenthal confirms a team is close to finalizing an agreement.

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

On a different note: Wasn't the last time the Sox were involved in the bidding for major FAs Alex Gordon and Cespedes?

Talk about doding a bullet lol

I’d have taken cespedes on his one year deal he got and, you know, not played him in center.

After over-thinking all these reports, I have come to a simple conclusion regarding Manny Machado.

I believe he wants to play for the Yankees, and the White Sox MUST make an offer he simply cannot refuse. The only way we land him is if he sees that offer and knows that he just cannot turn it down.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the Yankees are offering 8 years, the Sox need to offer 10. If they're offering 300 million, the Sox need to offer 350. The Sox need to beat them in both aspects.

Exactly. And we need to offer some really nice opt-outs. Front load those first couple of years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the Yankees are offering 8 years, the Sox need to offer 10. If they're offering 300 million, the Sox need to offer 350. The Sox need to beat them in both aspects.

If the Yankees are offering 8 for 300, my guess is that we would have to do better than 10 for 350. The Yankees offer would be a higher AAV. 

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

If the Yankees are offering 8 for 300, my guess is that we would have to do better than 10 for 350. The Yankees offer would be a higher AAV. 

If Yanks offer 8/300, it’s a done deal for Yankees.  With that said, always thought Sox should over 10/350 with opt-outs at 4 and 6. They can front load deal with 40 per for first 4 years.  Saving money for the slim chance at Bryce wouldn’t be wise IMO.

• Quin locked this topic