Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you hearing raBBit?

If I'm reading him right, he's saying Machado isn't gonna get as much money as we all think, and that Harper has all but decided he won't be joining the Sox.

I can't imagine Boras is too happy with Harper eliminating teams and weakening his negotiation stance further. All we need now is the teams to come out and say they are out on Harper and he can watch his big payday continue to shrink. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you hearing raBBit?

I am not sure I can speak in this new peavy44-chillijoecool SoxTalk world, but I think there is a clear difference between the White Sox and Yankees motivation to sign Machado. I am confident Machado likes the White Sox more than he would've thought coming in. I am confident the Sox clearly beat the Yankees offer. To me, the Phillies are still a big variable. Past that, his desire to play for the Yankees - what is it worth to him? I imagine a contract with say, 2-3 more years and similar AAV's would be enough for him to buck his lifelong dream - hypothetically.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I think rabbit meant Harper, and not Machado in this instance.

You are reading that correctly.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, South Sider said:

If I'm reading him right, he's saying Machado isn't gonna get as much money as we all think, and that Harper has all but decided he won't be joining the Sox.

I can't imagine Boras is too happy with Harper eliminating teams and weakening his negotiation stance further. All we need now is the teams to come out and say they are out on Harper and he can watch his big payday continue to shrink. 

No one said that. 

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

No one said that. 

Just trying to put together the pieces. Harper apparently wants to play for a team like the Cubs or Dodgers rather than the Sox or Phillies. Word is he doesn't want to go to Philly. Now you're saying he probably isn't coming here. Maybe I am incorrectly assuming that it's Harper making these calls. If it is him, though, it's weakening his ability to get a large pay day by trying to get contracts from cash strapped teams like the Cubs or Dodgers.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am not sure I can speak in this new peavy44-chillijoecool SoxTalk world, but I think there is a clear difference between the White Sox and Yankees motivation to sign Machado. I am confident Machado likes the White Sox more than he would've thought coming in. I am confident the Sox clearly beat the Yankees offer. To me, the Phillies are still a big variable. Past that, his desire to play for the Yankees - what is it worth to him? I imagine a contract with say, 2-3 more years and similar AAV's would be enough for him to buck his lifelong dream - hypothetically.

You are reading that correctly.

Thanks raBBit.  Glad to hear Machado is more open to us now than he was at the start of the process.  Also, it does seem like the Yankees aren’t going to do something crazy with Machado, which provides an opportunity for the Sox & Phillies to kind of blow them out of the water and force Manny to pass up on a lot of money.  I agree the Phillies are the wild card here and likely the bigger threat assuming we’re prepared to spend big.

Why is there any reason to believe @raBBit? Because he coddles ben Shapiro's sack in his mouth? I have little reason to believe him after that sad little temper tantrum he threw after the Sox signed Alonso. That was embarrassing tbh. I don't see why we should put any more stock into his views than we do to peavy44's views. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Just trying to put together the pieces. Harper apparently wants to play for a team like the Cubs or Dodgers rather than the Sox or Phillies. Word is he doesn't want to go to Philly. Now you're saying he probably isn't coming here. Maybe I am incorrectly assuming that it's Harper making these calls. If it is him, though, it's weakening his ability to get a large pay day by trying to get contracts from cash strapped teams like the Cubs or Dodgers.

I think Harper is Dodgers and a mystery team.

Maybe the Padres. At least they're the team that would make most sense to me. Prospect depth is insane so they are insulted if they allocate significant % of payroll to one player, they're West Coast, they're in a similar position as us if not a year behind, etc. 

Given the way the market has acted on the Harper front, my guess is the Dodgers and Harper have a tentative agreement and the Dodgers have to move some money in a baseball sense and maybe in a business sense as well. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks raBBit.  Glad to hear Machado is more open to us now than he was at the start of the process.  Also, it does seem like the Yankees aren’t going to do something crazy with Machado, which provides an opportunity for the Sox & Phillies to kind of blow them out of the water and force Manny to pass up on a lot of money.  I agree the Phillies are the wild card here and likely the bigger threat assuming we’re prepared to spend big.

I think the Phillies can get crazy. Maybe crazier than the Sox. I would like our chances as far as Machado's preference if money is the same but I am guessing. From the start of this it is the Yankees that decide whether the Sox/Phillies are in play here. Perhaps they already have. 

7 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Why is there any reason to believe @raBBit? Because he coddles ben Shapiro's sack in his mouth? I have little reason to believe him after that sad little temper tantrum he threw after the Sox signed Alonso. That was embarrassing tbh. I don't see why we should put any more stock into his views than we do to peavy44's views. 

lol

hes provided more value, insight and actual info than most. breaking moncadas callup for one. 

• Haha 1

So, just to join the feel good Soxtalk reunion tour apparently occurring in this thread; long time lurker, never registered.  Until now.

Like a lot of you I’m sick of the media not giving the Sox even the slightest chance at landing Harper or Machado.  I don’t participate on Twitter, basically because I’m so old I fart dust, but I am hereby requesting assistance from all of you who are.  I get that the odds might be against us, but if the Sox do sign one of them I would like all of you who are on Twitter to relentlessly, repeatedly, publicly, unapologetically, and with total impunity rub it in their collective face.  Reveal them for the pond scum they truly are.  If the Sox somehow manage to sign both, go nuclear on their ass!

Thank you for your assistance.  Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

raBBit has proven to be pretty well connected in the past.  And didn’t you just claim the Cubs had something big in the hopper and then absolutely nothing happened?  I’m not sure you have the right to be calling other people out at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I have reported more about the White Sox than anyone who is not paid to do it. I have time stamps. You are giving me shit for having a New York Times Best Selling author who wrote a book on the White Sox on a podcast. You are also an internet troll who's opinion has never once been lauded or quoted or requested but it has always been tormented. Have a good night. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, RTC said:

So, just to join the feel good Soxtalk reunion tour apparently occurring in this thread; long time lurker, never registered.  Until now.

Like a lot of you I’m sick of the media not giving the Sox even the slightest chance at landing Harper or Machado.  I don’t participate on Twitter, basically because I’m so old I fart dust, but I am hereby requesting assistance from all of you who are.  I get that the odds might be against us, but if the Sox do sign one of them I would like all of you who are on Twitter to relentlessly, repeatedly, publicly, unapologetically, and with total impunity rub it in their collective face.  Reveal them for the pond scum they truly are.  If the Sox somehow manage to sign both, go nuclear on their ass!

Thank you for your assistance.  Carry on.

I've got a bevy of screenshots at the ready. You aren't on twitter, but there is a pretty funny account called "Old Takes Exposed" where they retweet or otherwise highlight when people, typically prominent ones, end up being completely wrong about something. I'm sure there is a rather large contingency of Sox fans on twitter who are foaming at the mouth to laugh at all the Yankees and Cubs (and even Phillies fans) who just laugh and ridicule any time someone mentions the Sox as a possible landing spot.

But for actual media personalities. Chris Russo. Chris fucking Russo. Would love to see him eat shit. But I'm sure instead he will just say Manny (or Bryce) have made the worst mistake of their life and the Sox completely overpaid and he's glad the Yankees didn't get tricked in to that offer.

• Quin locked this topic