Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

4 hours ago, Baron said:

I think the offer more than New York but not more than the Phillies. 

I think the Phillies will hand over a blank check and allow Manny to fill it in. Duquette mentioned that he doesn't think we'll loosen the purse strings.  I just don't see Jerry doing it. 

You are not correct about this BTW. 

• Like 1

I'm with everyone else that loves what could happen with a Harper signing, and I think people are underestimating how much he can fit in relation to how much Machado fits (he and Eloy in the corners is #good, the crap we have been trotting out there is #scary and #bad) but that being said, an infield of Machado-Anderson-Moncada-Abrelonsu is something I'm ok with. I'd be interested to see how we sort out the outfield then, as I would assume we wouldn't also get Harper. The idea of Palka and Eloy in the outfield means we will lead the league in unchecked boxes for outfield defense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

We’re one of the few teams in a rare position to sign both.  A team with both would be worth playing for.  These guys need to realize that THEY have a unique opportunity to join together and begin a super team legacy.  

Are we talking about adding maybe $70 mil per year to the payroll for the both of them?

Edited by Saufley

Just now, nitetrain8601 said:

I can tell you this - Kaplan does have baseball sources.

With that said, this doesn't mean anything to me.

My view on this the entire time has been if a team offers the most money (at least 5% to 10% more than the next best bid), they probably have a 90% chance or better of landing the player.  And for me, the biggest question was whether the Sox were prepared to offer a record breaking contract.  Based on everything we’ve heard and our unfounded optimism at the Winter Meetings, it really seems like we’re not fucking around this time and that makes me beleive we really have a great shot here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I'm with everyone else that loves what could happen with a Harper signing, and I think people are underestimating how much he can fit in relation to how much Machado fits (he and Eloy in the corners is #good, the crap we have been trotting out there is #scary and #bad) but that being said, an infield of Machado-Anderson-Moncada-Abrelonsu is something I'm ok with. I'd be interested to see how we sort out the outfield then, as I would assume we wouldn't also get Harper. The idea of Palka and Eloy in the outfield means we will lead the league in unchecked boxes for outfield defense.

I truly don’t think both is off the table if the Dodgers are going to be timid with their offer.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you hearing Jimmy?!

Jerry is absolutely "loosening the pursestrings". I don't know what else exactly it is that people need to see or hear to believe it but it's true. Will either guy end up signing? No idea. It won't be because of money though. 

• Like 2

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jerry is absolutely "loosening the pursestrings". I don't know what else exactly it is that people need to see or hear to believe it but it's true. Will either guy end up signing? No idea. It won't be because of money though. 

Now that WOULD be exciting for White Sox fans!

I actually think signing one is what it will take for US to sign the other.  It’s the idea of BOTH that would get them to sign.  The other teams just need 1...we need both to establish ourselves as contenders—worthy of spending the next 10 years with.

14 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

The White Sox have 6 or 7 OF prospects that could reasonably be rated above their best 3B prospect, who was probably destined for 1B anyway before he tore his Achilles twice. Sure, Moncada could maybe slide over to 3B if Madrigal flies through the system. I don't think it makes sense to look at either of these signings and look at where the biggest hole would be next year (still the starting rotation regardless). 3B could more competently filled in 2019 with internal pieces than two OF spots, but Palka being a butcher in the OF for one season doesn't make Harper a better fit long term with the club.

Edited by TomPickle

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know for a fact the Cubs aren’t a serious player for Harper, so it would be weird for him to wait on them.

Message guy on Facebook you don't believe me his nephew good friends with Harper high school buddies

Edited by peavy44

• Quin locked this topic