TheFutureIsNear

Update: Machado met with Sox

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If there was no chance of Manny signing with them, I am sure the Yankees and Phillies would appreciate their meetings being cancelled and their time not wasted. I am sure the presentation was well done, and Manny is getting the royal treatment, and it is probably blowing him away. But, two other teams are going to do the same thing. One, he seemingly always wanted to play with. It doesn’t seem they want to go too long with him though. I still think showing him the money, and Alonso should win out. 

I agree I am just worried about the Yanks blowing him away with the allure of playing for the Yankees since he’s always wanted to do that more than anything the Phillies could offer 

FWIW, Kaplan said on Sportstalk Live tonight that he has heard from multiple people that if Machado and Harper don’t sign with the Sox, it won’t be because of a lack of money. He adamently said that they won’t be outbid.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

FWIW, Kaplan said on Sportstalk Live tonight that he has heard from multiple people that if Machado and Harper don’t sign with the Sox, it won’t be because of a lack of money. He adamently said that they won’t be outbid.

Not that I believe the source, but great news if true.  And let’s be honest, money typically wins out in these situations.

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Both, or one of them?

4 hours ago, Baron said:

I think the offer more than New York but not more than the Phillies. 

I think the Phillies will hand over a blank check and allow Manny to fill it in. Duquette mentioned that he doesn't think we'll loosen the purse strings.  I just don't see Jerry doing it. 

You are not correct about this BTW. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not that I believe the source, but great news if true.  And let’s be honest, money typically wins out in these situations.

I can tell you this - Kaplan does have baseball sources.

With that said, this doesn't mean anything to me.

We’re one of the few teams in a rare position to sign both.  A team with both would be worth playing for.  These guys need to realize that THEY have a unique opportunity to join together and begin a super team legacy.  

I'm with everyone else that loves what could happen with a Harper signing, and I think people are underestimating how much he can fit in relation to how much Machado fits (he and Eloy in the corners is #good, the crap we have been trotting out there is #scary and #bad) but that being said, an infield of Machado-Anderson-Moncada-Abrelonsu is something I'm ok with. I'd be interested to see how we sort out the outfield then, as I would assume we wouldn't also get Harper. The idea of Palka and Eloy in the outfield means we will lead the league in unchecked boxes for outfield defense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

We’re one of the few teams in a rare position to sign both.  A team with both would be worth playing for.  These guys need to realize that THEY have a unique opportunity to join together and begin a super team legacy.  

Are we talking about adding maybe $70 mil per year to the payroll for the both of them?

Edited by Saufley

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

Are we talking about adding maybe $70 mil per year to the payroll for the both of them?

Yes.

Just now, nitetrain8601 said:

I can tell you this - Kaplan does have baseball sources.

With that said, this doesn't mean anything to me.

My view on this the entire time has been if a team offers the most money (at least 5% to 10% more than the next best bid), they probably have a 90% chance or better of landing the player.  And for me, the biggest question was whether the Sox were prepared to offer a record breaking contract.  Based on everything we’ve heard and our unfounded optimism at the Winter Meetings, it really seems like we’re not fucking around this time and that makes me beleive we really have a great shot here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I'm with everyone else that loves what could happen with a Harper signing, and I think people are underestimating how much he can fit in relation to how much Machado fits (he and Eloy in the corners is #good, the crap we have been trotting out there is #scary and #bad) but that being said, an infield of Machado-Anderson-Moncada-Abrelonsu is something I'm ok with. I'd be interested to see how we sort out the outfield then, as I would assume we wouldn't also get Harper. The idea of Palka and Eloy in the outfield means we will lead the league in unchecked boxes for outfield defense.

I truly don’t think both is off the table if the Dodgers are going to be timid with their offer.

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Yep.

3 minutes ago, Saufley said:

It would likely be $80M+. Under that would be a huge win IMo. 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you hearing Jimmy?!

Jerry is absolutely "loosening the pursestrings". I don't know what else exactly it is that people need to see or hear to believe it but it's true. Will either guy end up signing? No idea. It won't be because of money though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I truly don’t think both is off the table if the Dodgers are going to be timid with their offer.

He is waiting on the Cubs how many times I gotta say it

Edited by peavy44

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Same with Yankees 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jerry is absolutely "loosening the pursestrings". I don't know what else exactly it is that people need to see or hear to believe it but it's true. Will either guy end up signing? No idea. It won't be because of money though. 

Now that WOULD be exciting for White Sox fans!