Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jerry is absolutely "loosening the pursestrings". I don't know what else exactly it is that people need to see or hear to believe it but it's true. Will either guy end up signing? No idea. It won't be because of money though. 

That’s what I’ve assuming, but great to have that finally confirmed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The White Sox have 6 or 7 OF prospects that could reasonably be rated above their best 3B prospect, who was probably destined for 1B anyway before he tore his Achilles twice. Sure, Moncada could maybe slide over to 3B if Madrigal flies through the system. I don't think it makes sense to look at either of these signings and look at where the biggest hole would be next year (still the starting rotation regardless). 3B could more competently filled in 2019 with internal pieces than two OF spots, but Palka being a butcher in the OF for one season doesn't make Harper a better fit long term with the club.

I don't disagree.

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jerry is absolutely "loosening the pursestrings". I don't know what else exactly it is that people need to see or hear to believe it but it's true. Will either guy end up signing? No idea. It won't be because of money though. 

People won’t believe it until they land a big fish, there will always be that stigma that the whitesox are cheap because of past history. Ownership isn’t going to get the benefit of the doubt until that happens. 

I personally hope/have faith it happens but we will see.

10 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The White Sox have 6 or 7 OF prospects that could reasonably be rated above their best 3B prospect, who was probably destined for 1B anyway before he tore his Achilles twice. Sure, Moncada could maybe slide over to 3B if Madrigal flies through the system. I don't think it makes sense to look at either of these signings and look at where the biggest hole would be next year (still the starting rotation regardless). 3B could more competently filled in 2019 with internal pieces than two OF spots, but Palka being a butcher in the OF for one season doesn't make Harper a better fit long term with the club.

The reality is their best 3B prospect is probably Moncada. You might rate Eloy above him, but that’s about it.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

People won’t believe it until they land a big fish, there will always be that stigma that the whitesox are cheap because of past history. Ownership isn’t going to get the benefit of the doubt until that happens. 

I personally hope/have faith it happens but we will see.

I know people are excited and thing maybe things are changing. I myself, think Machado is a done deal ever since Alonso was acquired.

But....

if somehow Both of the big guys sign elsewhere, and the Sox winter acquisitions are Nova, Alonso, McCann, and Colome, I am going to be more upset than I was last season.

• Like 3

I definitely agree with the assertion that Machado is a better fit for the Sox from a positional standpoint. Moncada is probably the best internal option to play 3B long term but I would prefer to keep him at 2B if at all possible. I don't know where that leaves Madrigal but they can figure that out when the time comes. The Sox should be able to count on Eloy and Robert to take 2 of the outfield spots so they should only have to fill 1 spot. That shouldn't be too hard considering they have like half a dozen quality outfield prospects and can always look for external options as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The reality is their best 3B prospect is probably Moncada. You might rate Eloy above him, but that’s about it.

Fair enough, I guess. The only thing that's pushing Moncada off 2B is another prospect becoming very successful so that could really only be a positive. I don't think Moncada is a great fit at 3B because his hands aren't very good. He definitely has the arm and the range, but I could also see a 25+ error season or two as he learns on the job.

Edited by TomPickle
i'm an idiot that didn't proofread my post
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

When discussing a better fit, it cannot be discounted that only Harper and Collins, if he makes it, would be left handed hitters in our lineup. Obviously Machado is the better positional fit but Harper is better at balancing the lineup.

Holy shit I thought this was Lillian post for a second.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

When discussing a better fit, it cannot be discounted that only Harper and Collins, if he makes it, would be left handed hitters in our lineup. Obviously Machado is the better positional fit but Harper is better at balancing the lineup.

Moncada is a switch hitter. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Moncada is a switch hitter and so is Basabe. I don't think Guaranteed Rate Field really benefits either left handed or right handed hitters. Rutherford, Walker, and Gonzalez are all lefties. There are plenty of options for a somewhat balanced lineup.

Am I the only one who thinks tying up ~75 million a year to two guys isn't the best idea? I think it would cause our hands to be tied in filling out the rest of the roster and might backfire. If it were to happen I'd be thrilled and wouldn't complain, just a little hesitant

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Quin locked this topic