Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

How did he compare to the “road” versions of all of those players?

Those players don't have to deal with the altitude adjustment, when they go on the road. It might be more interesting to look at their stats, only when the go on the road to Coors Field.

Everyone keeps forgetting that the Yankees already have a very promising, popular, major league ready SS with five years of control in their organization. 

Gleyber Torres. 

He only played 2B because Didi was the incumbent. He is Plan A if/when Didi his to FA next year. 

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

I/We are comparing Arenado away from Coors to other third basemen.

But since you really want to know, Nolan ranked 17th among 3B that had 100 PAs.  AFTER every one of those players listed.  

Arenado is not a $300,000,000 player.  

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Those players don't have to deal with the altitude adjustment, when they go on the road. It might be more interesting to look at their stats, only when the go on the road to Coors Field.

There have been studies on this, though I don’t have quite the time to find them now.

Essentially, nearly EVERY player hits better at home, and the gap is significant. The gap at Coors is more significant than at other places, but if you normalize the typical split gap, you see that the difference is often very overblown by pundits.

A better way to analyze a Rockies player in terms of Coors Effect would be to compare his splits with other players splits. In most cases, you’ll see a much smaller difference. 

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Everyone keeps forgetting that the Yankees already have a very promising, popular, major league ready SS with five years of control in their organization. 

Gleyber Torres. 

He only played 2B because Didi was the incumbent. He is Plan A if/when Didi his to FA next year. 

Honestly if they miss out on Machado, the Yankees should have interest in Lowrie or Murphy. You can shift Lowrie to 3B or Murphy to 1B when Didi comes back (assuming he will be back at SS).

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

But since you really want to know, Nolan ranked 17th among 3B that had 100 PAs.  AFTER every one of those players listed.  

16 third baseman had a better road OPS than Arenado last year?

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

16 third baseman had a better road OPS than Arenado last year?

12 "qualified" 3B had a better road OPS than Arenado in 2018.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&month=16&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2018&month=16&season1=2000&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

Looking back over the past 20 or so years, the Rockies have the worst wRC+ of all teams on the road by far. 2nd is Arizona and those two teams are way below everyone else. Now what’s more likely, that they’ve had far worse hitters than every other team or that they have to deal with an altitude adjustment when they go on the road? Road splits in general are misleading but especially so for Rockies hitters.

13 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Gleyber Torres. 

Right and wouldn't you rather just move Torres to SS and sign jed lowrie than force yourself right back into their previous hole with having to deal with Stanton and Machado contracts?

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

That;s a fair question since many players hit better at home than on the road. Machado's home and away splits for his career aren't that good either but it still comes down to having MM for 2018 and beyond as a 26 year old and getting better quicker or waiting for Arenado in 2020 when he is 29 prolonging the possibility of competing sooner while career difference in OPS home and road is Machado -126 and Arenado -197 .

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

There have been studies on this, though I don’t have quite the time to find them now.

Essentially, nearly EVERY player hits better at home, and the gap is significant. The gap at Coors is more significant than at other places, but if you normalize the typical split gap, you see that the difference is often very overblown by pundits.

A better way to analyze a Rockies player in terms of Coors Effect would be to compare his splits with other players splits. In most cases, you’ll see a much smaller difference. 

My understanding is that there are three significant factors , regarding playing in Coors Field. Number one, the breaking balls don't break as much, because of the thin air. Number two, the ball travels further in that low density air and finally, there is an adjustment required when going from sea level, to much higher elevation.

I just want to say that Arenado is good but one of the reasons I think every team will be in on him is they don't expect a 300 mill price tag, which is pretty unique to the ages of Harper/Machado when they are in FA.

1 minute ago, kwill said:

Why does everybody ignore that Anthony Rendon is a free agent next year. 

I do think what scares me about next year is higher likelihood that Arenado and Rendon re-sign with their teams than was likely Harper/Machado did.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Not many guys get their GM  start taking over 95 win teams, and ranked with the top farm system.  

Maybe. But it sure wasn't a young cheap team. The pitching was so thin they had nothing in the playoffs and most of them did nothing after 2000.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

.200 ops difference between home and away says a lot. Granted his road ops is still higher than mannys road ops.

I’ve always liked the Rockies some because of Cargo and Tulo. But it’s a legit concern. Personally, I think Arenado stays in Colorado. 

Sr writer from Inquirer:

Big News: per source inside the organization, Machado is very closely considering signing with after today’s meeting. GM Klentak was contacted by Machado’s agent to inform him of this. Sounds like there’s going to be a deal unless someone ups the offer

• Quin locked this topic