Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think this first post proves Chili may not be the insider he claimed to be.

Maybe, maybe not. Even flying private, if you have a 11am meeting in NYC, you're talking traffic to ORD, losing an hour going out east, the flight time. Who wants to wake up early for their own FA mega tour? Also if Steinbrenner is sending a private plane, he kind of makes the time frame.

Plus, it's not like he hasn't been to Chicago in his career, I think he got the gist of it. I'm not sure what we expected him to do in an extra night that would seal him on the Sox and Chicago? Go ice skating with his wife? go to another steak dinner .... like he hasn't been to 1,000 of those in his life .... visit Macy's Walnut Room? Christkindl market? I mean.... it's a business decision at the end of the day. He's going to follow the money and the Sox will have to be higher than Philly. Only team that has a chance of winning with less money is NYY and they better come in at over $30mm a year still.

12 hours ago, peavy44 said:

I highly doubt that lol.

It's from a highly reliable source on Facebook (guy is a dating a the girl who is an ex of a guy whose grandpa's brother is a janitor for the Cubs in the 70's). I would post screenshots but I don't want to risk exposing them.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It's from a highly reliable source on Facebook (guy is a dating a the girl who is an ex of a guy whose grandpa's brother is a janitor for the Cubs in the 70's). I would post screenshots but I don't want to risk exposing them.

Now you have to threaten to leave. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Machado could have departed for New York last night after spending the day in Chicago.

Look, I have no personal gain from calling out an alleged insider, but he clearly said Machado was staying through Wednesday and that’s not the case if that tweet is true.  Honestly, I simply want to know what’s real and what’s BS and despite being one of the more optimistic posters on this board, Chili’s rumor never felt right to me.  Again, nothing personal against him, but it just doesn’t seem to jive, at least the part about spending an extra day & night in Chicago.

28 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Maybe, maybe not. Even flying private, if you have a 11am meeting in NYC, you're talking traffic to ORD, losing an hour going out east, the flight time. Who wants to wake up early for their own FA mega tour? Also if Steinbrenner is sending a private plane, he kind of makes the time frame.

Plus, it's not like he hasn't been to Chicago in his career, I think he got the gist of it. I'm not sure what we expected him to do in an extra night that would seal him on the Sox and Chicago? Go ice skating with his wife? go to another steak dinner .... like he hasn't been to 1,000 of those in his life .... visit Macy's Walnut Room? Christkindl market? I mean.... it's a business decision at the end of the day. He's going to follow the money and the Sox will have to be higher than Philly. Only team that has a chance of winning with less money is NYY and they better come in at over $30mm a year still.

If he was flying private, he wouldn't have been at an O'Hare bar. He probably wouldn't have been at O'Hare. But there is a ton of information from all sources that just isn't true. Abreu wasn't there. Alonso wasn't there. The one guy tried to show a picture of a suite, where they were going to give Manny and his wife White Sox jerseys. Really? Is this 3rd grade.?And why is the television on in that picture? Were they going to watch Jerry Springer, and tell him it used to be taped in Chicago? It couldn't have been it was snapped during the season. 

As for money, yes I think he will take the highest offer, especially if it's a record breaker. But I did here an interesting take on cash last night. Ego will play a role, they are going to either want to be able to say the signed the highest contract ever, even if a lot of it is deferred and current value isn't as high, or they are going to want to say its the highest AAV ever, but, when you are talking that kind of money and it isn't breaking records, there really isn't a difference to these guys if its 250 million vs. 275 million. It's all money they will never spend. If no team is willing to let Manny's agent mention a record being broken, the Yankees probably hold a big advantage. Supposedly if the Dodgers clear some space, Harper's contract will have a record breaking AAV, 

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he was flying private, he wouldn't have been at an O'Hare bar. He probably wouldn't have been at O'Hare. But there is a ton of information from all sources that just isn't true. Abreu wasn't there. Alonso wasn't there. The one guy tried to show a picture of a suite, where they were going to give Manny and his wife White Sox jerseys. Really? Is this 3rd grade.?And why is the television on in that picture? It couldn't have been it was snapped during the season. 

Yup, and I’ll be honest, I don’t believe for a second that Machado wanted to sign with us heading into our meeting with him but his agent pressured him not to. I really wish that were true, but I think it’s a complete fabrication.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look, I have no personal gain from calling out an alleged insider, but he clearly said Machado was staying through Wednesday and that’s not the case if that tweet is true.  Honestly, I simply want to know what’s real and what’s BS and despite being one of the more optimistic posters on this board, Chili’s rumor never felt right to me.  Again, nothing personal against him, but it just doesn’t seem to jive, at least the part about spending an extra day & night in Chicago.

Yeah there's no way that machado was ever here today. To me it was obvious when it was said, because he had a meeting today with the yankees

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

That's a pretty quick meeting.

Either it’s a foregone conclusion he’s signing there or he is just doing his due diligence on the other meetings and signing with us like the report said the other day....just my opinion. I believe I read somewhere on twitter that Hal Steinbrenner’s mother’s funeral was today as well so maybe that’s why it was so short 🤔

Just now, daggins said:

Keep in mind that even though he's visiting teams this week, he probably will not make a final decision for a few more weeks.

Highly doubt that IMO. I think he'll announce by the weekend, end of the next week at latest.

Just now, daggins said:

Keep in mind that even though he's visiting teams this week, he probably will not make a final decision for a few more weeks.

He needs to make the decision to sign with the White Sox after he leaves the building with the Phillies tomorrow so the White Sox can have some time to put some other pieces around him this year. They already missed out on the best secondary piece on the market in Brantley.

• Quin locked this topic