Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah I'm sure there have been for weeks to be honest.

Yah, I think its just the "agreeing to terms" part that is left. Contract details and drafting can be hammered out between agreeing to terms and official announcement.  I I think we hear about Manny's decision by Sunday at the latest.  

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That was the whole "make the offer in person" part.

Hal also wanted to meet with him so he can get to know him in person and get to know his character. 

Steinbrenner on Machado comments and wanting to meet in person:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/14/hal-steinbrenner-manny-machado-hustling-comments-troubling-yankees

Edited by soxfan2014

Machado also needed to sell himself to the Yankees about his comments in the playoffs. People seem to be forgetting about that part.

Yes , and he probably needed to clear it up with the others as well. And that is probably done better face to face than over a phone. 

Machado also needed to sell himself to the Yankees about his comments in the playoffs. People seem to be forgetting about that part.

In 90 minutes? That seems pretty quick for that task.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Face to face is a bit more effective, both ways. And I am sure there are Yankees personnel that Manny wouldn't mind meeting. 

If he signs with Yanks, Hal can then mention to the media how they had these discussions and he’s comfortable with Manny.

Ha yea great meeting . "OK Manny tell us why you're such a douchbag ". I really hope the Yankees asked Manny about that. Perfect way to put him on the defensive and not make him feel welcome.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Face to face is a bit more effective, both ways. And I am sure there are Yankees personnel that Manny wouldn't mind meeting. 

Pretty weird trip for just "wouldn't mind meeting." I think it was more just to exchange general contract principals in person. They both know there is interest on both sides. Just more on Machado's part.

I would say the same about discussing a multi- hundred million dollar contract.

I'm sure they really didn't discuss specifics. Just we are only willing to go this far Manny. Is that worth negotiating with your agent over the next few days. They both know the interest involved.

Its all entirely speculation at this point. I personally dont think Machado was selling himself to the Yankees. I think Machado knows the basic framework of the Yankees offer and the Yankees are trying to pitch Machado why signing with them for 4 years is better than 10 years with someone else. Probably telling him how in 4 years if he does well they will take care of him etc. Telling him about other players who were Yankees and always were treated right and that he doesnt need to worry about the 5-6 years guaranteed.

Just my guess. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Maybe the entire 90 minutes was a discussion about he is going the accept the White sox offer because it is the highest, however can we meet to give my agent some leverage to make the White Sox raise their offer. 😁

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its all entirely speculation at this point. I personally dont think Machado was selling himself to the Yankees. I think Machado knows the basic framework of the Yankees offer and the Yankees are trying to pitch Machado why signing with them for 4 years is better than 10 years with someone else. Probably telling him how in 4 years if he does well they will take care of him etc. Telling him about other players who were Yankees and always were treated right and that he doesnt need to worry about the 5-6 years guaranteed.

Just my guess. 

Can point to Sabathia missing out on $500K bonus in his contract last year, but Yankees gave it to him anyway. Though, Reinsdorf has always been great about looking out for past players (see Jay Williams, Scottie Pippen, Minoso, etc.).

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Harper

Is same tier as Machado and therefore would not be a secondary piece. That said, it's not my money so if Jerry wants to be that crazy, then I hope they have a plan to get a cost controlled CF for a couple seasons.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I thought we went over Tweet embedding!

Or maybe the entire 90 minutes was discussing that Manny is signing with the Yankees so just give him their best offer ala Andre Dawson. No negotiation necessary. 😁

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Is same tier as Machado and therefore would not be a secondary piece. That said, it's not my money so if Jerry wants to be that crazy, then I hope they have a plan to get a cost controlled CF for a couple seasons.

Say what you will about his bat, but I really don't mind Engel's defense out in CF next year, whether he's between Eloy/Harper or the more likely Eloy/Palka, his glove is needed.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

He would be if Machado signed 1st and Harper 2nd  thus making him a secondary piece 😜

• Quin locked this topic