Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt it was a 10 hour meeting, and if it was, I'm sure he was aware of the length coming in. 

But you aren't going to walk out. This may be the team offering you $300 million. Would you actually leave?

I’m betting they left Gibson’s at 11:30 and that’s where the ten hour mark came from

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt it was a 10 hour meeting, and if it was, I'm sure he was aware of the length coming in. 

But you aren't going to walk out. This may be the team offering you $300 million. Would you actually leave?

Because no one else wants to pay him an assload of money? 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

And walk away from a potential record breaking offer? 

Manny Machado is on his best behavior right now. 

If he was in a situation where he would be signing up for a team that he had no interest in being with because of a horrible impression being made?  Leave the $10/20/30 million on the table and walk away.  In a situation like that, the player absolutely would walk away. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because no one else wants to pay him an assload of money? 

Maybe not what the White Sox are willing to pay. You would not walk away unless you are an imbecile. That kind of stuff gets around. Manny's other offers would more than likely only go lower.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he was in a situation where he would be signing up for a team that he had no interest in being with because of a horrible impression being made?  Leave the $10/20/30 million on the table and walk away.  In a situation like that, the player absolutely would walk away. 

A great White Sox offer helps get a better offer from the other teams. And walking away, acting like a spoiled baby does not get him more money. Only less. 

They can throw mystery teams around all they want, but they only have 3 visits. Playing his offers off against the rest won't hurt him. If he just has 2, and the Yankees are not budging, he has nothing to play with, and prima donnaing out of a meeting could cost him millions.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Maybe not what the White Sox are willing to pay. You would not walk away unless you are an imbecile. That kind of stuff gets around. Manny's other offers would more than likely only go lower.

For the kind of money he is going to get, with other teams willing to bid powerball life altering amounts of money with him?  I mean we aren't talking about moving up to fry clerk at $9.00 an hour instead of $8.75 to flip burgers.  This is going to lock him up for the next decade-ish if he wants, so I don't really think he has to worry about either money or reputation.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the kind of money he is going to get, with other teams willing to bid powerball life altering amounts of money with him?  I mean we aren't talking about moving up to fry clerk at $9.00 an hour instead of $8.75 to flip burgers.  This is going to lock him up for the next decade-ish if he wants, so I don't really think he has to worry about either money or reputation.

If you were his agent, you are telling me you would have had no problem with him checking out of a meeting with a potential suitor, of which there appears to be 3,  because he was bored or some other BS?

Whatever the real length of the meeting was, we will probably never know, but it doesn't appear he walked out. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If you were his agent, you are telling me you would have had no problem with him checking out of a meeting with a potential suitor, of which there appears to be 3,  because he was bored or some other BS?

You mean the agent who is about to get 10% of ~$300 million?  Pretty sure his protests would be minimal.  What's he going to do, quit before the big payday?  This is absurd.

I mean, I have turned down subsequent interviews because of the feel of a company during their presentation, and have turned down offers because the company didn't feel right.  While I am sure Manny would love to have the place he wants to go be the place that will offer him the most money, but with the dollars that are being talked about here, isn't like he has to do something he doesn't want to do just because.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You mean the agent who is about to get 10% of ~$300 million?  Pretty sure his protests would be minimal.  What's he going to do, quit before the big payday?  This is absurd.

I mean, I have turned down subsequent interviews because of the feel of a company during their presentation, and have turned down offers because the company didn't feel right.  While I am sure Manny would love to have the place he wants to go be the place that will offer him the most money, but with the dollars that are being talked about here, isn't like he has to do something he doesn't want to do just because.

I'm guessing your not in the $300 million range. I literally walked out of an interview once when they interviewee, on my second interview changed the terms. I was supposed to meet with the owner of the company, but he said I wanted a bit more than they had budgeted, but he said maybe I could talk the owner into paying me. I told him I didn't appreciate him wasting my time and walked out. A couple of days later I got home from work and he had left a message on my answering machine saying they had re-evaluated the pay, and wanted me to give him my requirements again. I called back, got his voicemail and upped it by $50k. I wasn't going to work there. But it wasn't because I was bored because my ass was being kissed for 10 hours. 

BTW, Adam Jones who knows him a little better than you or me, said he is going to the team that pays him the most.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm guessing your not in the $300 million range.

BTW, Adam Jones who knows him a little better than you or me, said he is going to the team that pays him the most.

Absolutely.  Which is why the ability to walk away is even greater, not lesser.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

A short meeting can be a good or a bad thing. Machado is likely very familiar with the Yankees organization playing in the AL east for so long. 

Compare the money and years, present your pitch, and move on. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

DA, you just love to argue pointless things for the sake of arguing, don't you?  

What are you talking about? We have gone from Manny needs to go to these meetings for his agent's sake, to if Manny was bored, he would just walk out. That isn't too consistent. He wouldn't just walk out unless he was insulted. 

I also doubt the meeting was as long as indicated. Supposedly they were going to show him around the city a bit. Maybe they had dinner. But it wasn't everyone sitting around a table in a conference room for 10 hours.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No it's not. Eliminating a potential suitor doesn't do you other bids a service, especially since it's been reported, the Yankees aren't going there. And then how do you know you won't be even more bored with the Philadelphia meeting?

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

On a somewhat related note, how much do you guys think Machado will ultimately sign for? I'll say 350 million.

$330M.

Years 1-4: $40M 

Year 5: $35M

OPT OUT

Year 6: $35M

Year 7-8: $30M

OPT OUT

Years 9-10: $20M

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What are you talking about? We have gone from Manny needs to go to these meetings for his agent's sake, to if Manny was bored, he would just walk out. That isn't too consistent. He wouldn't just walk out unless he was insulted. 

I also doubt the meeting was as long as indicated. Supposedly they were going to show him around the city a bit. Maybe they had dinner. But it wasn't everyone sitting around a table in a conference room for 10 hours.

If Manny Machado wants to walk out of a meeting with a ball club after 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours - whatever amount of time - he can and will do that.  If he doesn't want to sign somewhere and in his mind, that decision is made, why waste the rest of the day listening to pointless BS? 

The dude is at minimum going to make $35M a year over the next half decade.  He isn't going to GAF what people have to say if he isn't interested.  It may not be "good business", but I frankly don't think he's going to be too worried about it if his mind is made up.  He is already a wealthy man, and is going to be one of the richest baseball players in history in a matter of weeks. 

Also, the talk about him doing this for his agent is one of the dumbest things I have heard the last few weeks.  Manny's agent works for him - he's not doing this for anyone but himself.  

• Quin locked this topic