Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

28 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't think her brother playing for the White Sox is much of a factor at all.  And as far as the money, yeah he may indeed decide to take the most money, but it'll be his decision.  He's not going to just let his agent handle everything and "get back to him."

I think Alonso is a factor here. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Common sense tells me his wife would be very upset if they don't take the Chicago offer considering they signed her brother. I mean with money being about the same from wherever they go. The other possibility is Manny just tells his agent to go with the team that offers the most money and years  ... period and get back to him when that is finalized.

Baseball is a business.  The two of them are going to do what's best for them.  She could fly first class to see her brother every weekend for like a century if Machado gets the money he wants.

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Baseball is a business.  The two of them are going to do what's best for them.  She could fly first class to see her brother every weekend for like a century if Machado gets the money he wants.

Right, but if rumors of us saying we wont be outbid, along with getting the opportunity to spend every day with your family and best friend playing the game you love, wouldn't  that make him happy? That's all we're saying. Business is happy and person is happy. Win win.

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Right, but if rumors of us saying we wont be outbid, along with getting the opportunity to spend every day with your family and best friend playing the game you love, wouldn't  that make him happy? That's all we're saying. Business is happy and person is happy. Win win.

That’s not what Greg’s post is articulating. It’s more of a 1950s marriage trope about not wanting his wife to nag him.

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Common sense tells me his wife would be very upset if they don't take the Chicago offer considering they signed her brother. I mean with money being about the same from wherever they go. The other possibility is Manny just tells his agent to go with the team that offers the most money and years  ... period and get back to him when that is finalized.

Wait, what?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s getting way more than that bro.

Do not be so sure^

Currently there seems to be only 3 main bidders in the Sox, Yankees and Phillies. Teams are not going to bid against themselves, and teams are also smarter than they used to be regarding years and guarantees. 

Could Machado get 350? Perhaps, but I wouldn't bank on the numbers going as sky high as expected. Team would rather put relatively high AAV per year deals on the table, but shorten the length of the deal. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think Manny's wife will be ok with her new rock she'll surely have on her finger or neck, and get over not being around her brother so much if a team outbids the White Sox.  If we want to get all stereotypical about women.

Or we could just not do that BS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Do not be so sure^

Currently there seems to be only 3 main bidders in the Sox, Yankees and Phillies. Teams are not going to bid against themselves, and teams are also smarter than they used to be regarding years and guarantees. 

Could Machado get 350? Perhaps, but I wouldn't bank on the numbers going as sky high as expected. Team would rather put relatively high AAV per year deals on the table, but shorten the length of the deal. 

My opinion is that 50 million spread out over 5-8 years won't cripple the Sox.  Just don't fucking give him a 10 year deal.  I'd gladly outbid the Yankees by 50 million over 6 years if that's what it takes.  The Sox have so many prospects coming through the org that by the time they have to pay everybody they should be rolling in revenue, wins and success and will want to keep the good thing going.  Manny's extra AAV of 10 or so million isn't going to cripple any necessary resigning of home grown talent.

IMO of course.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My opinion is that 50 million spread out over 5-8 years won't cripple the Sox.  Just don't fucking give him a 10 year deal.  I'd gladly outbid the Yankees by 50 million over 6 years if that's what it takes.  The Sox have so many prospects coming through the org that by the time they have to pay everybody they should be rolling in revenue, wins and success and will want to keep the good thing going.  Manny's extra AAV of 10 or so million isn't going to cripple any necessary resigning of home grown talent.

IMO of course.

Properly structured contracts with opt outs functionally do what you're trying to achieve here.

• Quin locked this topic