Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Just now, fathom said:

Yeah I truly feel people underestimate the meltdown that will occur if the Sox miss out on both.  Besides for payroll flexibility, the Sox did nothing last year to try and make this a location that players would want to join. Yonder was a great addition for this, but just have to hope it wasn’t desperation.

I think it might depend on WHERE they sign. If they go to Dodgers and Yankees I don’t think there is anything they could have done. But if Phillies and Yankees/Dodgers is the combo than I agree with this because Phillies did do something last year to improve. 

1 minute ago, BFirebird said:

I think it might depend on WHERE they sign. If they go to Dodgers and Yankees I don’t think there is anything they could have done. But if Phillies and Yankees/Dodgers is the combo than I agree with this because Phillies did do something last year to improve. 

Good post and I agree. I will be pissed if Manny signs with the Phillies (unless it’s an incredibly insane deal).

Just now, fathom said:

Good post and I agree. I will be pissed if Manny signs with the Phillies (unless it’s an incredibly insane deal).

Definitely. If he signs for some asinine number, good luck to both parties. If he signs for less than what we offer than that is definitely meltdown time. Granted we will never know the specifics. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

IMO, to get both, a lot of teams' interest would have to be overstated. The Dodgers and Cubs wouldn't be able to enter. The Yankees would have to lowball, and the Phillies "stupid money" would have to be stupidly average if not even lower.

If you have the money to possibly get both, there should be no reason you do not get one.

Well seems pretty obvious that Manny is going to go first.  I don't see much reason for him to drag this on any further unless there are more teams legitimately in the running than the Sox, Phillies and Yankees.  Only way I see this dragging on is if if the best offers are in the $250M-$270M range right now and teams aren't willing to negotiate against themselves quite yet.  

By all indications, Harper is not an option for the Yankees.  Apparently Harper does not want to go to Philly.  The Cubs and Dodgers are out unless they move a shit load of money the next few weeks.  Who else is there?  Obviously the line of suitors would be long if his price dropped significantly, but just assume he's getting something north of $325M over 10 years...who else is there?  

I think if the Sox get MM secured in the next week, the heat really goes up on the Cubs and Dodgers to try to move money, and if they can't, I think the Sox are in a fantastic position to get both IF JR is really willing to give out $700M to 2 players in one offseason.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well seems pretty obvious that Manny is going to go first.  I don't see much reason for him to drag this on any further unless there are more teams legitimately in the running than the Sox, Phillies and Yankees.  Only way I see this dragging on is if if the best offers are in the $250M-$270M range right now and teams aren't willing to negotiate against themselves quite yet.  

By all indications, Harper is not an option for the Yankees.  Apparently Harper does not want to go to Philly.  The Cubs and Dodgers are out unless they move a shit load of money the next few weeks.  Who else is there?  Obviously the line of suitors would be long if his price dropped significantly, but just assume he's getting something north of $325M over 10 years...who else is there?  

I think if the Sox get MM secured in the next week, the heat really goes up on the Cubs and Dodgers to try to move money, and if they can't, I think the Sox are in a fantastic position to get both IF JR is really willing to give out $700M to 2 players in one offseason.  

What I been told harper has deadline for cubs move money or he moves on.

Just now, TTSox22 said:

I love it! I was confused for a second and thought I was on G&B. 

Just responding to his Boilermaker icon. For some reason I tend to go towards the second teams....White Sox, Purdue. Love getting my heart ripped out I guess.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

I am not trying to be a prick man, I really am not.  But you've said this at least 100 times the last few days.  Everyone who reads this board knows this.  You don't need to repeat it every page.  

4 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

I mean it makes sense. I am sure it is the same for the Dodgers. I think both of those are his top choices. 

Edited by BFirebird

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Perfect summary of the situation.

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes. I actually like live musicals. But movie musicals I cannot take for 5 minutes.

For me it depends on the movie. JC Superstar and Godspell paled in comparison the Broadway shows. But some of the movie versions are all many of us know like Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story , Guys and Dolls , Oklahoma and the Sound of Music. I'd put those right up there with the live shows but mainly because there were major stars in many of them in the movies. 1776 I liked both too though it lacked the big stars unless you count Ken Howard from The White Shadow TV show.

• Quin locked this topic