Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

4 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Maybe that's the case, but he said repeatedly that he loves playing SS and that's where he always wanted to play. The Orioles were horrible last year, but he still ruffled a lot of feathers around MLB for demanding a position change.

I would have much more of a problem with Machado insisting that he needs to play a certain position where he's not really all that good than I would with him not running out a popup.

• Like 1

Machado was to spend several hours visiting with Phillies officials. He and his wife, Yainee, were to have lunch in a suite overlooking the field and Machado's image on Phanavision. A tour of the clubhouse and other ballpark facilities was planned. The Phillies' welcoming party included Klentak, Kapler, managing partner John Middleton, club president Andy MacPhail, assistant general manager Ned Rice, hitting coach John Mallee and bench coach Rob Thomson. Surely, there would be a give and take, with Machado asking questions about the team's direction and team officials asking about the controversial "Johnny Hustle" comments that he made in October.

Dinner, at an undisclosed location, was planned in the evening and Machado is scheduled to return home to Miami on Friday morning.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Machado was to spend several hours visiting with Phillies officials. He and his wife, Yainee, were to have lunch in a suite overlooking the field and Machado's image on Phanavision. A tour of the clubhouse and other ballpark facilities was planned. The Phillies' welcoming party included Klentak, Kapler, managing partner John Middleton, club president Andy MacPhail, assistant general manager Ned Rice, hitting coach John Mallee and bench coach Rob Thomson. Surely, there would be a give and take, with Machado asking questions about the team's direction and team officials asking about the controversial "Johnny Hustle" comments that he made in October.

Dinner, at an undisclosed location, was planned in the evening and Machado is scheduled to return home to Miami on Friday morning.

Well that picture of the suite on GRF doesn’t sound so far off now.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder if we matched the amount of personnel the Phillies had, and I wonder why it was all leaked

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well that picture of the suite on GRF doesn’t sound so far off now.

That entire account was created just to troll people who believe tweets from any person claiming to have sources. Everything from it is completely fabricated

2 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Fascinating. Sox will need to blow the Phillies offer out of the water.

I still predict Machado to the Phillies and Harper to us, although this week has made me consider the possibility of us getting Machado a bit more seriously 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Is the fact that most of the Phillies braintrust was in Baltimore when they drafted him good or bad?

Probably bad for us rather than good.. Show's they trusted in him from the beginning and they want him back. Though I'd doubt it's much of a factor

Edited by cjgalloway

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They have an incredibly conservative front office.  Just depends how much their owner dictates things.

Wait, Klentak? Conservative? 

Any deal this big needs major owner buy-in. But owners dictated even the Santana signing, and have been barking about being impatient and wanting to spend for a couple years now, even before this free agent class. 

They DO want to spend. And if the market on the second of these players falls apart to the extent that JR thinks he can afford both, the price will also be very within what the Phillies want to pay.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Quin locked this topic