Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

So what is this more like, we hired the AAU coach of a high school basketball recruit or we got a commitment from a high school recruit's low three-star teammate?

I think its more like we're the budding high major team that has a huge role to offer and the player is only interested because all the bluebloods are out of scholarships.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is Alonso in Chicago today as well? 

Based on the number of tweets from different people it seems like he must have just had a press conference or press availability, so the White Sox probably put him out to go talk to the press while Machado and his agent were doing something with the higher ups. We also know the location that the people were tweeting from - note the "Chicago IL" on there. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Based on the number of tweets from different people it seems like he must have just had a press conference or press availability, so the White Sox probably put him out to go talk to the press while Machado and his agent were doing something with the higher ups. We also know the location that the people were tweeting from - note the "Chicago IL" on there. 

Poor guy probably thinks that's all hes good for

There's been a lot of talk that if the Yankees sign Machado that Miguel Andujar would be available.  That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if we couldn't get Manny.  The years of control would be worth an investment but Cashman would probably want to take us to the cleaners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickinIndiana said:

There's been a lot of talk that if the Yankees sign Machado that Miguel Andujar would be available.  That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if we couldn't get Manny.  The years of control would be worth an investment but Cashman would probably want to take us to the cleaners.

Acquiring players with money is so much more attractive right now than acquiring them with prospects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickinIndiana said:

I'd be willing to part with Rodon in a deal like that, but JMO - the Yankees probably wouldn't move Andujar if the only added Machado since they also have the Didi shaped hole to fill. I thought that deal made a lot more sense earlier this offseason prior to that injury.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Acquiring players with money is so much more attractive right now than acquiring them with prospects.

While I agree, it would be worth inquiring what the cost would be.  We could be a lot more patient with his defensive liabilities than the Yankees will be.

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its more like we're the budding high major team that has a huge role to offer and the player is only interested because all the bluebloods are out of scholarships.  

AAU coach, as it helps increase your odds but there’s always the chance the dream school offers.  I believe this just happened with Illinois and Whitney.

40 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

So what is this more like, we hired the AAU coach of a high school basketball recruit or we got a commitment from a high school recruit's low three-star teammate?

Thinking more like Brian Bowen where Addidas paid his dad a bunch of money to "coach" an AAU program, and then greased all of the palms of the people around Bowen to get them to convince him to go to Louisville over other places.

19 minutes ago, RickinIndiana said:

Unless you are sending Rodon, I am not sure what the match between the teams is.

Just now, fathom said:

Again who knows if this works, but we would all be livid if the Phillies got Yonder and he had the same quotes 

At least another 7 pages of how the Sox FO screwed up another chance to assist them in getting Machado because it didn't cost the Phillies much to acquire Yonder.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless you are sending Rodon, I am not sure what the match between the teams is.

Cashman is always looking to keep his farm system stocked.  He actually did a fantastic job of restocking it on the fly over the last few years.

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

At least another 7 pages of how the Sox FO screwed up another chance to assist them in getting Machado because it didn't cost the Phillies much to acquire Yonder.

I dunno, I'm kinda worried about the dynasty the Sox just handed the Indians by relieving that pile of money originally meant for Alonso.

• Haha 3

• Quin locked this topic