KnightsOnMintSt

10 hours ago, CyAcosta41 said:

The serious answer:

1 -- Louie Aparacio

2 -- Joel Horlen

3 -- Dick Allen

4 -- Mark Buehrle

5 -- (Tie) Konerko / Fisk / Thomas

And the eclectic list of personal favorites through the decades (roughly chronological, but in no particular order of preference):

Ken Berry; Bruce Howard; Gary Peters; Jerry Nyman; Buddy Bradford; Cy Acosta (!); Terry Forster; Rich Gossage; Pat Kelly; Ken Henderson; Jim Kaat; Oscar Gamble; Ken Kravec; Nyls Nyman; Britt Burns; AJ; Sweaty Freddy; Quintana; Sale. (And coming soon to a ballpark near you -- Eloy; Cease; Dunning; Madrigal)

Anyone who has Horlen and Berry ( my childhood favorite guys) and all the rest you mention makes this my favorite list . I'd like to add Nancy Faust to the list.

Nice to see so many guys from the red pinstripes days. Kaat pitched great for the Sox in his 2 full seasons ,had 20 wins both years and so respected . Still going strong at 80 doing the nationally televised games with Costas. Who can forget that SI cover with Dick Allen in the dugout in the red pinstripes cigarette dangling from his lips. The CF shower was a great idea from Veeck . That would be awesome to some how bring it back.

And for the youngsters out there who want to learn about the former Sox owner and champion of the working class who was a pioneer trying to integrate baseball, wanted the DH and interleague  play and a playoff system long before it happened  here's a place to start https://www.americanheritage.com/node/132704 . He is probably personally responsible for keeping the Sox in Chicago.Every time you watch a Sox or even a Cubs game you see things Veeck innovated like the Ivy in Wrigley field and the fireworks scoreboard . Every time you see a players name on the back of the uniform  think Veeck , the first owner who did that. Ever sing along to "Take Me out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch? Veeck started that with Harry Caray with the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1. Louie Aparicio

2. A.J. Pierzynski

3. Dick Allen

4. Carlton Fisk

5. Mark Buehrle

Honorable Mentions: Nellie Fox, Al Smith, Smokey Burgess, Moose Skowron, Dave Nicholson, Hoyt Wilhelm, Pat Kelly, Ed Herrmann, Richie Zisk, Britt Burns, Ron Kittle, Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen, Paul Konerko, Maggs, Joe Crede and a bunch of others.......

Robin Ventura

Louie Aparicio

Carlton Fisk

Paul Konerko

Harold Baines

Tommy John

Billy Pierce

Joe Horlen

Rich Gossage

(I know it's more but couldn't cut it down to 5)

Others: Sherm Lollar, Big Hurt, Alexi Ramirez, Chet Lemon, Chris Sale, Jim Thome, Mark Buehrle, Doc White, Don Buford, Nelie Fox, Magglio Ordonez

dick allen,wilbur wood,oscar gamble,richie zisk and mark buerhle. in some ways wilbur wood was more than a baseball favorite.

the knuckle ball almost seemed to make life more fair for guys who weren't born with much athleticism.

Edited by zisk

Tough stuff

1-Carlton Fisk. Back when Boston was a foolish organization. How they let this guy get away? Confounds me. Fisk was easily my favorite player of all time.

2-AJP-What's not to love about that guy? (yes I know my top two guys are catcher, because back in high school I ... didn't play a single inning of catcher, EVER)

3-Britt Burns, damn right!!! The ONLY time I've ever cried for a sports event? Landrum's homer off Britt. What a courageous performance by Britt. We just didn't have a good bullpen in 83. Always rooted for this big lefty. His last year in 85, right before his hip condition would finally ruin his career after many attempts prior, he was about as dominant as anyone. 

4-Mark Buehrle, remember his first start (think it was in Minnesota) and I was like who the hell is this dude? An average stuff kid from AA? Who just happened to be awesome

5-Paulie-A consummate hitter. Leader of our 2005 champs

Honorable mentions:

Frank Thomas, Lamarr Hoyt (we just needed to get that fucking series to the big boy in 83 and winning ugly would have really meant something)

Edited by kwolf68

On 12/23/2018 at 12:24 AM, shago said:

1. Crede (should have been ALCS and WS MVP in ‘05)

2. Buehrle

3. LaMarr

4. Paulie

5. Luzinski

Honorable mentions: Ribbie and Roobarb, Nancy, Andy the Clown

60B016B2-63B8-4729-984F-109492F5A9B5.jpeg

Damn those unis. LOL. But love em anyway, this is my era baby. 

1. THE Dick Allen.  Best all around player I've ever seen.  Guy was simply amazing. You'd think with the power he had he'd be bigger than he actually was.

2. Mark Buehrle.  How could you not love this guy?

3. Carlton Fisk.  The original Pudge.  Just a man's man.

4. AJ.  Loved how he was the constant shit stirrer lol...and backed it up.

5. LaMarr Hoyt.

Honorable mention:  Carlos May.  Goose Gossage. Terry Forster.  Cy Acosta.  Aaron Rowand.  Ivan Calderon. 

EDIT: Forgot to add:  No-Neck Williams

Edited by Wanne

Seeing a lot of AJP love (he was #2 for me). I think he was the glue of that 05 team, and his rope a dope in the ALCS against the Angels just showed how quickly he could think. He was a fun baseball player to watch, a real throw back.

Edited by kwolf68