Sox reach new TV deal with NBC Sports

Sockin

14 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

"But if the Cubs are successful the White Sox and the Reinsdorf family will go from swimming in an ocean of money to a sea of money.  After that they're going to leave and we're going to be sad" 

Trust me, man.  I've died on this hill before.  It's not worth it.

No, it just means our TV ratings and attendance will continue to plummet and our revenue streams will shrink, which will without question impact the quality of team we can put on the field.  But hey, keep playing proud victim and cheer on the Cubbies to land one of the most popular superstars in the game.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is 100% not true and I’m shocked people can actually believe this.

I'm tired of the b****ing and the blaming of the Cubs for the Sox' issues. You know the solution to all this? Fielding a damn competitive team. The White Sox popularity issues stem from their complete inability to do that. Put freaking good product out there and the fans will come. 

Edited by Hot FiRe

22 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I'm tired of the b****ing and the blaming of the Cubs for the Sox' issues. You know the solution to all this? Fielding a damn competitive team. The White Sox popularity issues stem from their complete inability to do that. Put freaking good product out there and the fans will come. 

True but doesn’t help that just as the Sox have hit rock bottom, the Cubs have gone on a great 4 year stretch.  It’s been the perfect storm towards irrelevancy for the Sox. Getting Manny or Harper would be an incredible boost for the Sox franchise. Getting neither and the Cubs getting one of them would be the nail in the coffin.

On 12/18/2018 at 10:47 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Am doing a project for the White Sox and came across this piece in Sports Illustrated from April 1987. Just found it ironic in the wake of the deal that is supposed to be taking place. Honestly didn't even know WFLD-TV was doing this (or did this):

"The state of the team was perhaps best summed up in the off-season when WFLD, the White Sox TV station, filed suit to get out of the final three years of its contract with the team, claiming, in part, that the Sox are "not desirable to watch."

It ended up being settled out-of-court, with WFLD-Channel 32 fulfilling the end of the contract through the (putrid) '89 season. 

Unfortunately for WFLD, that contract coincided with one of the worst stretches in White Sox history, the '86 thru '89 seasons.  Everything from Hawk's troublesome year as GM in '86, through the terrible baseball on the field during those four years, and of course, all of the negativity day in and day out related to Reinsdorf and Einhorn's threats to move the team to Florida if their demands for the state to build them a new ballpark AND provide them with a sweetheart lease deal weren't met.  Needless to say, a black cloud hung over Comiskey Park each and every day as all of that was going on back then.  

As for the lawsuit itself, WFLD actually singled out Reinsdorf and Einhorn for essentially gutting the team during that time, which had an enormously crippling effect on ratings, and then ultimately resulted in some advertisers backing out.  Channel 32 was definitely a victim of the owners' power game to get that new ballpark and sweetheart lease deal, no doubt about that.   

On 12/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, Hot FiRe said:

Disagree completely. Go look at 1990-2010 for a counter to that argument. It really doesn't matter. The Sox had the 4th highest winning percentage in baseball over that span. The Cubs were largely crap. It didn't matter, as Wrigley was full everyday and Sox park was empty outside of 1993-94 and 2005-06. 

The truth is that Sox fans don't go to the park unless they think they have a decent shot at Winning the whole damn thing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Disagree completely. Go look at 1990-2010 for a counter to that argument. It really doesn't matter. The Sox had the 4th highest winning percentage in baseball over that span. The Cubs were largely crap. It didn't matter, as Wrigley was full everyday and Sox park was empty outside of 1993-94 and 2005-06. 

The truth is that Sox fans don't go to the park unless they think they have a decent shot at Winning the whole damn thing. 

But still, only 4 playoff appearances over two decades.

The Tigers, Indians and Twins all beat that over 5 or 6 year stretches during the last twenty years.   And KC was in the World Series two consecutive years.

We were consistently good enough for second place and only bottomed out in the late 90’s.  Plus, 1994 was taken away from fans. That did as much damage alone as anything positive that was accomplished, other than 2005.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But still, only 4 playoff appearances over two decades.

The Tigers, Indians and Twins all beat that over 5 or 6 year stretches during the last twenty years.   And KC was in the World Series two consecutive years.

We were consistently good enough for second place and only bottomed out in the late 90’s.  Plus, 1994 was taken away from fans. That did as much damage alone as anything positive that was accomplished, other than 2005.

They were in fact consistently good enough for 2nd place. I thnk what was frustrating to fans was they never decided to spend to put themselves over the top in the division. This is where the idea "Uncle Jerry is cheap" comes from. 

4 hours ago, Baker said:

Excepting 2005, it’s been 100 years since the Sox have won a playoff series. 

Which is one of the primary reasons the Sox don’t have the rabid fan base you’d otherwise expect from both a major market team and charter member of the American League.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I believe the new contract kicks in for the 2020 season, so I THINK so unless something else is going on.

Yep. 2019 is still on the old contract so things will be as it has been. WGN will not have games in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Yeah, I've done that in the past. But it'd be pretty cool if I could just, you know, watch every game legally.

My brother lives in Switzerland and he can buy it by the game. A season doesn't make sense for him since most games start at 2 AM their time, but the Sunday afternoon games are perfect. He does buy it for a season for the Bears, so he hates when they get flexed to 3 pm or later.

Edited by Dick Allen

53 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My brother lives in Switzerland and he can buy it by the game. A season doesn't make sense for him since most games start at 2 AM their time, but the Sunday afternoon games are perfect. He does buy it for a season for the Bears, so he hates when they get flexed to 3 pm or later.

So I use a family members login for the NBCSN games, as I can't get DIRECTV where I live. I'd probably still pay 90 bucks for the 60 games I can't watch thru WGN.