Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

At some point, they have to get with the times and sign a big free agent deal. What better time than when there are 2 26-years olds on the market? When will they get this opportunity again?

Obviously agree with this but their reputation is such shit right now that money is only a part of the deal. Once they do land one big one though it will be easier to land other guys.

• Like 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Those names should just be thrown out rather then thrown out there. They do nothing to help the rebuild. Would make us better in 2019 that's about it unless you just want to flip them. But Puig is a tough sell on anyone . Pederson and Wood coming to the AL I don't trust.

That's fair. I too would rather have the prospects but it's really not that common of a thing that happens where you get a teams best young MLB players or top prospects in deals like that. And I think they will end up dealing Wood and Kemp anyway.

Just now, Tony said:

There won't be that many more opportunities, which is why it will be be a disappointment/failure if it doesn't happen. 

(Waits for the angry mob to come in and tell me it's not a "failure" if the Sox don't grab one of these guys, it was a longshot at best, blah blah blah)

And it was that same front office that made the organization so undesirable will be your accurate response 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

There won't be that many more opportunities, which is why it will be be a disappointment/failure if it doesn't happen. 

(Waits for the angry mob to come in and tell me it's not a "failure" if the Sox don't grab one of these guys, it was a longshot at best, blah blah blah)

It'll also be much harder to field a championship caliber team if we don't have a 5+-win 3b available, and we do not have such a person in our organization right now.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It'll also be much harder to field a championship caliber team if we don't have a 5+-win 3b available, and we do not have such a person in our organization right now.

This also changes the upcoming draft.  If we get Machado that draft pick would probably become a top pitcher who should be a quick riser.  If we miss that probably changes our drafting strategy..  

Edited by southsideirish71

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This also changes the upcoming draft.  If we get Machado that draft pick would probably become a top pitcher who should be a quick riser.  If we miss that probably changes our drafting needs.  

F*** that we're drafting 3rd overall draft the best player available and if they need 4 years to make their debut I don't care. Every time we've thought a guy was a fast riser pushing them fast has been a terrible idea anyway. BPA and I don't care if he's a multi-year college catcher or a high school stud. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

That's fair. I too would rather have the prospects but it's really not that common of a thing that happens where you get a teams best young MLB players or top prospects in deals like that. And I think they will end up dealing Wood and Kemp anyway.

Other's mentioned Chris Taylor. Plays CF  and the other OF positions, Has played 3rd base,SS and 2nd base also, plus had a 4 WAR last year and has 3 years of control left. Much more suitable to the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This also changes the upcoming draft.  If we get Machado that draft pick would probably become a top pitcher who should be a quick riser.  If we miss that probably changes our drafting strategy..  

Getting one of these guys will have no bearing on the draft. I expect the best position player on the board. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it’s a bit premature to say Moncada couldn’t be a 5 win 3B if we moved him there, but I agree it’s much easier to quickly build a competive roster with Machaso manning 3B.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Other's mentioned Chris Taylor. Plays CF  and the other OF positions, Has played 3rd base and 2nd base also plus had a 4 WAR last year and has 3 tears of control left. Much more suitable to the Sox.

Why would the Dodgers move him, just to clear a roster spot? He's only Arb-1 this year so he's not going to save them much money if he's moved. I'm not particularly sure that Taylor for Rodon is a good matchup, and I certainly wouldn't want to trade anyone from the minors in a deal like that. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s a bit premature to say Moncada couldn’t be a 5 win 3B if we moved him there, but I agree it’s much easier to quickly build a competive roster with Machaso manning 3B.

From what I remember, early returns were good with Moncada at 3B for the Red Sox in his small sample there. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Why would the Dodgers move him, just to clear a roster spot? He's only Arb-1 this year so he's not going to save them much money if he's moved. I'm not particularly sure that Taylor for Rodon is a good matchup, and I certainly wouldn't want to trade anyone from the minors in a deal like that. 

Also a good point. Muncy might end up being terrible, Turner will probably see time on the DL again, who knows how Seager will do this year. Taylor is pretty valuable on that team.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hence the "Right now". Stranger things have happened than a strong 3b appearing, but having to plug that hole will be tough enough that I'd expect something to go wrong with the scenario you just posed. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Was just saying he's a better guy to get then Pederson, Puig or Wood. Do you disagree ? I wasn't the one proposing helping the Dodgers do anything. I just didn't like the names mentioned as a return for helping them.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Was just saying he's a better guy to get then Pederson, Puig or Wood. Do you disagree ? I wasn't the one proposing helping the Dodgers do anything. I just didn't like the names mentioned as a return for helping them.

Yes he makes more sense for us as a return but he's also a worse overall match since moving him solves 0 of the dodgers issues other than lack of a 25 man roster spot. 

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes he makes more sense for us as a return but he's also a worse overall match since moving him solves 0 of the dodgers issues other than lack of a 25 man roster spot. 

That's all I was saying since it was proposed as a way to help the Dodgers get Harper if they want him and have to clear payroll space. No one including the Sox should make it easy on them. I'm sure there can be all kinds of trade scenarios that could include Taylor or guys more valuable to us then guys with looming FA years in a year or 2 like Puig Wood and Pederson. Taking those 3 would be a huge help to them and very little to the Sox.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic