Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's all I was saying since it was proposed as a way to help the Dodgers get Harper if they want him and have to clear payroll space. No one including the Sox should make it easy on them. I'm sure there can be all kinds of trade scenarios that could include Taylor or guys more valuable to us then guys with looming FA years in a year or 2 like Puig Wood and Pederson. Taking those 3 would be a huge help to them and very little to the Sox.

Trying to think of a team that does horrifically dumb things to help out teams, and the Marlins came to mind. How do the rules work with teams sending money? If the Dodgers gave Kemp or another high-priced player to the Marlins, but then sent $20 mil to relieve some of his salary, would that $20 mil count against the Dodgers' number? I'd think it has to.

10 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Trying to think of a team that does horrifically dumb things to help out teams, and the Marlins came to mind. How do the rules work with teams sending money? If the Dodgers gave Kemp or another high-priced player to the Marlins, but then sent $20 mil to relieve some of his salary, would that $20 mil count against the Dodgers' number? I'd think it has to.

I think it would count against the Marlins. They take on the salary but receive cash to pay him. It's not just just splitting the contract.

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

something to keep an eye on is the Dodgers 40 man is currently at 41 after signing Joe Kelly.  It's unusual that they've waited so long to announce a corresponding DFA, so it's possible there's a trade about to happen.

They've only formally announced it an hour or so ago. Not that long.

18 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

If the Dodgers send out money then that money does in fact count against the Dodgers for luxury tax accounting purposes. It is also spread evenly over the remainder of the deal they send out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the Dodgers send out money then that money does in fact count against the Dodgers for luxury tax accounting purposes. It is also spread evenly over the remainder of the deal they send out.

I'm not sure if that's accurate. Does anyone know for sure? One way to find out is how much of James Shields salary effected our luxury tax since the Padres sent us money.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm not sure if that's accurate. Does anyone know? One would to find out is how much of James Shields salary effected our luxury tax since the Padres sent us money.

It has to count against them. Otherwise, the Cubs would pin an $80 million bill to Heyward's coat and send him off to another team so they could sign Harper.

I really just don't see us landing machado. I think that the Phillies are ahead of us in money/preferable destination, and people seem to forget the amount of connections he has to their front office. I thought Harper would be more realistic, but evidently it has turned out not to be the case. And I do think we are a year away from trading prospects for a young, controllable guy. Even if we were ready to make a trade like that there's nobody on the market who fits that criteria other than Realmuto, and I don't see us going after another catcher.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm not sure if that's accurate. Does anyone know for sure? One way to find out is how much of James Shields salary effected our luxury tax since the Padres sent us money.

here's the raw text from the CBA, the important phrase for your question is the first:

(iii) Cash Consideration: An assignor Club that pays cash consideration to defray all or part of the salary obligation of the assignee Club for an assigned Player or Players shall include such cash consideration in its Actual Club Payroll on a pro-rata basis over the remaining Guaranteed Years of the assigned Contract(s). Cash consideration that is conditionally payable based on the Player’s earning of performance or award bonuses will be included in the Actual Club Payroll of the Club responsible for paying the bonus in the Contract Year in which the bonus is earned. Cash consideration that is conditionally payable based on the outcome of Club or Player Option decisions will be included in the pro-rata calculation described above if the consideration is contingent on the decline of a Club Option Year or the exercise of a Player Option Year, but will not be included if contingent on the exercise of a Club Option Year or the decline of a Player Option Year. If any cash consideration not originally included in the pro-rata calculation described above is ultimately paid as a result of the outcome of Club or Player Option decisions, the cash consideration will be included in the Contract Year(s) covered by the Club or Player Options. An assignor Club that pays cash consideration in lieu of assigning an unnamed player shall include such cash consideration in its Actual Club Payroll in the Contract Year in which the cash consideration is paid.

Any cash consideration that is included in the Actual Club Payroll of the payor Club shall be subtracted from the Actual Club Payroll of the payee Club in the same Contract Year in which it is added to the payor Club’s Actual Club Payroll. Notwithstanding the foregoing, an assignee Club may not receive an aggregate credit against its Actual Club Payroll(s) for cash consideration received in an assignment that exceeds the sum of (a) the total amount of the acquired Player(s) Salaries that are included in the Club’s Actual Club Payroll(s) following the assignment, and (b) any cash consideration paid by the assignee Club to another Club in a subsequent assignment of the acquired Player(s) that is attributable to those Players.

If we lose out on Machado is Moustakas worth signing for a 2/3 year contract? I'm tired of losing 100 games a year and looking for improvement anywhere. I know we have Burger, but does anyone believe he will ever be our third baseman? Just wondering??

This could be a blessing in disguise if Machado signs elsewhere.  Harper would draw a larger crowd to the stadium and bring in more money for us.  If the Phillies overpay for Manny and sign him, then the only people we would be really bidding against for Harper would be the Dodgers and possibly the Cubs.  One would think we can definitely beat both of those deals.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic