Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

A big if there, unfortunately I don’t believe any of these reports, I think just a week or so ago there was reports that the Sox weren’t prepared to spend as big as people were expecting. All of these tweets and reports, including that one on the White Sox is posturing. 

We have seen it out there now from the Yanks , Phillies and the Sox about pulling back the reins. It could mean anything. It could be part of some MLB plan to collude but not collude "wink" just as a way for them to say the bidding is over or nearly over , don't expect any more or much higher offers.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Plus each agent has to know that if we sign one we're probably out on the 2nd one. So they have to keep that in mind when there aren't a lot of high bidders.

I can imagine Hahn calling Boras and telling him hey just as a heads up we are going to sign Machado and right now you should consider us 90% out on Bryce.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. DON'T  YOU DARE TAKE MY CHRISTMAS DREAM OF BOTH AWAY FROM ME.

Also, Merry Christmas lol

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT. DON'T  YOU DARE TAKE MY CHRISTMAS DREAM OF BOTH AWAY FROM ME.

Also, Merry Christmas lol

hah Merry Christmas to you too. But I didn't take it away. Notice I said 90% out on Harper which leaves the door slightly ajar  for the purpose of saying we are out but not really out which tells Boras hurry your Bor-ass the hell up . We don't have all off season to play around.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We have seen it out there now from the Yanks , Phillies and the Sox about pulling back the reins. It could mean anything. It could be part of some MLB plan to collude but not collude "wink" just as a way for them to say the bidding is over or nearly over , don't expect any more or much higher offers.

If neither Harper nor Machado get a contract greater than Stanton's, then there could be a strike similar to 1994 on the horizon, where the players go on strike in August again and refuse to negotiate until winter. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If neither Harper nor Machado get a contract greater than Stanton's, then there could be a strike similar to 1994 on the horizon, where the players go on strike in August again and refuse to negotiate until winter. 

I think the reality of a strike seems very real with or without the status of their contracts. However, I think both sides learned their lesson in the 90's regarding mid-season strikes. 

7 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think the reality of a strike seems very real with or without the status of their contracts. However, I think both sides learned their lesson in the 90's regarding mid-season strikes. 

I think the sides have developed different priorities. What they're seeing right now is that the owners share of revenue is going up and the players share is going down, that's much more recent, the owners would rather shrink the whole pie than give back a portion of their slice, and the players would rather shrink the whole pie than continue having their slice get cut smaller. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the sides have developed different priorities. What they're seeing right now is that the owners share of revenue is going up and the players share is going down, that's much more recent, the owners would rather shrink the whole pie than give back a portion of their slice, and the players would rather shrink the whole pie than continue having their slice get cut smaller. 

The only way this makes any difference is if the players agree to a cap where its agreed that the players get a percentage of the revenue. Until that time, the players get what is negotiated in the individual contracts. Maybe this will be the owners push during the next CBA.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The only way this makes any difference is if the players agree to a cap where its agreed that the players get a percentage of the revenue. Until that time, the players get what is negotiated in the individual contracts. Maybe this will be the owners push during the next CBA.

It is going that way. For the first time, I think it actually makes sense that the players should agree to a cap and floor model. With only the Yankees and Dodgers exceeding the Luxury Tax, whatever that number is seems like a de facto cap for 28/30 of the teams anyway. The huge issue right now is that the stars that reach FA are getting all of the money, and the price of the average to above average player on the open market has gone down significantly. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 12/23/2018 at 11:52 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Kenley Jensen of the Dodgers has already been quoted as talking about the possibility of a strike and I recently read a story talking about the same thing because of the issues that are coming to a head between the MLBPA and the owners.

And naturally, the next labor deal expires just at the time the Sox are supposed to be good.

1981, 1994 and ?

It figures in a White Sox sort of way....doesn't it? 😢

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Kenley Jensen of the Dodgers has already been quoted as talking about the possibility of a strike and I recently read a story talking about the same thing because of the issues that are coming to a head between the MLBPA and the owners.

And naturally, the next labor deal expires just at the time the Sox are supposed to be good.

1981, 1994 and ?

It figures in a White Sox sort of way....doesn't it? 😢

I know I have brought that up in past post(s) . The CBA expires Dec.1, 2021. We could be very good by then , should be, if we hook a whale.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic