Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

8 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Is it true that Alonso and Manny are together right now? 

His Instagram story shows Alonso as the family Santa.

Santa being a white Sox player is big, maybe even bigger than Alonso.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quinarvy said:

Machado can be the Rudolph that leads us to the World Series.

I'm really starting to think the Sox get Machado. Look at all the things they have done to make him aware how much they want him.

1. Signed Welington Castillo

2. Tried to trade for him last year. Probably an underwhelming offer but it could be the idea was for the Sox to express early interest in him and just put it out there .

3. Traded for Colome a team mate of Machado on the 2017 Dominican Republic WBC team.

4. Traded for Ivan Nova another team mate of Machado's on the DR team.

5. Traded for Yonder Alonso , Machado's brother in law.

So who else is still out there who might make Machado happy? There's Adam Jones and Zach Britton. Nelson Cruz ex Oriole and DR team mate but not a fit any longer but the Sox did show interest in him supposedly before they got Alonso.  Sox also expressed interest in Familia, another ex DR team mate

So now there's the latest rumor that something started 2 weeks ago that came together quickly recently. Would anyone really be surprised if it was Adam Jones or Britton or a trade for Starling Marte another DR team mate of Machado ?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm really starting to think the Sox get Machado. Look at all the things they have done to make him aware how much they want him.

2. Tried to trade for him last year. Probably an underwhelming offer but it could be the idea was for the Sox to express early interest in him and just put it out there .

3. Traded for Colome a team mate of Machado on the 2017 Dominican Republic WBC team.

So who else is still out there who might make Machado happy? There's Adam Jones and Zach Britton. Nelson Cruz ex Oriole and DR team mate but not a fit any longer but the Sox did show interest in him supposedly before they got Alonso.  Sox also expressed interest in Familia, another ex DR team mate

So now there's the latest rumor that something started 2 weeks ago that came together quickly recently. Would anyone really be surprised if it was Adam Jones or Britton or a trade for Starling Marte another DR team mate of Machado ?

Great post and fully agree.  Unless the Yankees change their stance, I really think Machado is ours for the taking.  The next question is whether or not we still push forward with Harper and my guess is we do.  I think there is room for two whales in the budget.

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hi guys. Merry christmas from athens. What rumor u reffering to? Havent seen anything. Sorry btw for my poor english

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd be down for Britton.

54 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

Hi guys. Merry christmas from athens. What rumor u reffering to? Havent seen anything. Sorry btw for my poor english

It's in the Harper/Machado thread from one of our long time posters Buerhle>Wood.

These are his 2 posts on it.

Sox have a move in place. I dont know what it is, but they have one. Guessing it will be announced after Christmas. #sources

There was something that's been in the works for two weeks and escalated very quickly this past weekend. All I got.

Oh and Merry Christmas to you too. Opa !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, Quinarvy said:

I'd be down for Britton.

He does seem to be the most logical choice of Manny Mates who also fits a need. Jones might not cost a lot but still not a CF any more. Would be OK in left or right but probably means no dice on Bryce.

Starling Marte would be interesting. He's getting to the age (30) and salary $10M where the Pirates usually start looking around for a replacement .Good defensively pretty fast  good offense. Would be decent short term OF . Guessing he would play CF .

His contract looks like this :

2019: $10 million
2020: $12.5 million club option ($2 million buyout)
2021:
$13.5 million club option ($2 million buyout)

Theoretically he could be used for 1 , 2 , or 3 years . That really seems ideal when seeing how long it takes some of our OF prospects to emerge. Of course a much cheaper option than Harper and would most likely mean we're out on him once Machado is signed, which is probably the prudent move anyway.

No idea what the Pirates would want for him but leaves a nice chunk of change on the payroll to sign a whale pitcher next year  or do anything.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's in the Harper/Machado thread from one of our long time posters Buerhle>Wood.

These are his 2 posts on it.

Sox have a move in place. I dont know what it is, but they have one. Guessing it will be announced after Christmas. #sources

There was something that's been in the works for two weeks and escalated very quickly this past weekend. All I got.

Oh and Merry Christmas to you too. Opa !

Thanks man. I heard there is a big greek community in chicago. Id bet the move is for a center fielder

1 minute ago, Greek-konerko said:

Thanks man. I heard there is a big greek community in chicago. Id bet the move is for a center fielder

I've been in California for 35+ years but yes Greek town in Chicago is still there and not that far from Guaranteed Rate Field if I recall. Don't hit the Ouzo too much .

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My guess would be Yasmani Grandal, who is another Latino. He's from Cuba and very close to Yonder. The accumulation of all of these Dominicans and Cubans does seem to indicate that it is intentional. Imagine our line up in 2020. Moncada, Machado, Eloy, Alonso, Abreu, Grandal, Robert, all from either Cuba or the Dominican Republic. Together with their Latino manager, this could be interesting. Just one big happy "familia"!! And in 2021, right field could be occupied by Basabe or Adolfo. Let me think, where are those guys from? Hmmmmm??  Poor Basabe. He might feel like an outsider. A real "misfit," being from Venezuela. LOL.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

My guess would be Yasmani Grandal, who is another Latino. He's from Cuba and very close to Yonder. The accumulation of all of these Dominicans and Cubans does seem to indicate that it is intentional. Imagine our line up in 2020. Moncada, Machado, Eloy, Alonso, Abreu, Grandal, Robert, all from either Cuba or the Dominican Republic. Together with their Latino manager, this could be interesting. Just one big happy "familia"!!

My original guess was Grandal before I did a deeper dive into his ex team mates from the Orioles and the DR 2017 WBC team in the Harper/Machado thread where that rumor originated. But I wasn't really sold on my own idea. That post is in that thread.

It could be something that doesn't pan out while putting the finishing touches on it. It could just be dotting the I's and crossing the T's on Machado or a false rumor. But I think we have thrown some good names out there . Lots of speculation it could also be Ottavino.

6 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Jon Morosi said on mlb network that teams haven't offered contracts yet to machado. Said the 3 city tour was just to talk to teams and get to know them but didn't want offers yet. Said to wait till after new year for offers to come in

Would you agree that Morosi seemed pretty confident of the Sox chances to get one of the big 2?  On my end it did.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Morosi was just on mlb network and said he was told Manny has not had an official offer made yet by any of the 3 teams. Manny is waiting to get comfortable with fit and comfort of the teams before talking money.

I would imagine official vs. unofficial is merely a game of semantics. Like unofficial to me is length and money offer, but official is with all the benefits included (suites, hotel rooms, etc.)

Edited by maggsmaggs

5 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I would imagine official vs. unofficial is merely a game of semantics. Like unofficial to me is length and money offer, but official is with all the benefits included (suites, hotel rooms, etc.)

I would say the narrative that he wants to determine fit and culture before discussing money is great for the Sox, IMO.  

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

I would say the narrative that he wants to determine fit and culture before discussing money is great for the Sox, IMO.  

i don't know. Fit...he wants to play SS, I am sure the White Sox want him to play 3B. And culture? The team topped out at 78 wins the last 6 seasons. That's a losing culture. The park is usually a mausoleum. They are constantly ignored not only nationally, but locally as well.  

I hope they sign him, but if they do, it's going to be about cash.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic