Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

The White Sox had to know with their performance and irrelevance, they were behind the eight ball bidding for these guys. But The thought there is nothing they can do is incorrect. They can offer enough money to make just about anyone a White Sox. If it took another $25 million why would JR care. Chances are he won’t be signing the checks 10 years from now. 

If they weren’t prepared to blow away the competition with a contract, they were fooling themselves thinking this could get done.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Sox better have beaten the next highest offer by at least 20% or they aren't really serious about luring a top free agent to sign here.

Agree.  For a White Sox offer to be competitive, it must beat the next best by at least 20%.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox had to know with their performance and irrelevance, they were behind the eight ball bidding for these guys. But The thought there is nothing they can do is incorrect. They can offer enough money to make just about anyone a White Sox. If it took another $25 million why would JR care. Chances are he won’t be signing the checks 10 years from now. 

If they weren’t prepared to blow away the competition with a contract, they were fooling themselves thinking this could get done.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, shago said:

Reinsdorf is a cheap bastard, still can’t believe you guys think we’re in the hunt, or would actually do something like this. All hat, no cattle.... another hype job

19094A27-82D8-4230-B056-0AA41A199010.png

Machado is a Yankee

I love that people make posts like this, yet still claim they are fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That was the unlucky result of the James Shields' trade.

Think about it, if the White Sox wouldn’t have half assed an all in, and refused to count on Mat Latos in the rotation, instead signing or trading for someone a bit more reliable and more worthy of all in status, they would probably have never even bid on Machado because they never would have made the Shields trade.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was actually just thinking about that. I really hope the fans don't turn on him if Machado goes elsewhere.

They will in a heartbeat.  I said the day the Sox get him that if they don’t get Manny, he will be the whipping boy on the 2019 roster.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I love that people make posts like this, yet still claim they are fans.

Wrong to be a fan of an organization and disappointed that they have owners who don’t spend when they’ve become billionaires off our support? Hmmmm.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That's so shitty, I hope other Sox fans vocally shut them down and tell them to fuck off.  

No chance, if they strike out on both big guys, there is going to be a giant fan revolt.  Yonder will just be Exhibit A of the team’s failure.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

They will in a heartbeat.  I said the day the Sox get him that if they don’t get Manny, he will be the whipping boy on the 2019 roster.

That's so ridiculous...what's he supposed to do?  Like you said above, it's the White Sox inflated view of their org and clubhouse culture and/or the importance of that to players, as per Alonso, Samardzija and the putative trade for Machado last year.
The ire should be directed to the person who traded for him.

It seems odd to me that the reports are all over the place. I read one report recently that said final offers won't even be submitted until after the new year, another report that said final offers have been submitted and won't be considered by Machado until after the new year, and now this Clark guy saying he has decided on the Yankees. Too much inconsistency out there to believe anything other than just waiting for Manny's decision.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It seems odd to me that the reports are all over the place. I read one report recently that said final offers won't even be submitted until after the new year, another report that said final offers have been submitted and won't be considered by Machado until after the new year, and now this Clark guy saying he has decided on the Yankees. Too much inconsistency out there to believe anything other than just waiting for Manny's decision.

But. I was riling myself up to join the promised giant fan revolt. What else will I do with my evening?

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I would love to know which friend of Manny knows this information and would leak it so quickly. It’s almost as if...Manny wanted the information out. Or it’s BS. 

I find it hard to believe that Hahn would trade for Alonso if he didn't have a pretty good feeling that Machado would sign here.  Maybe I'm just being naive, but I would like to think that someone with his position and credentials wouldn't just blindly trade for him in the off chance it might help the front offices chance to sign another player.  They have put so much thought and effort into this rebuild that it seems asinine to make a trade for a player such as Alonso and waste any talent and money on him when there are other guys who can fill the same role for a fraction of the cost.

I mean, honestly, why make that trade unless you were damn sure Machado was going to sign here and that was one of his swing conditions?  Otherwise it just reeks of desperation and is showing that the front office can't properly manage a rebuild.

That said, I'll wait until the deal is signed and it's picked up by more than one person on twitter.  All things being equal, I think Alonso was brought in after a conversation with Machado or his agent, as one thing that he would love to do as a player is to play with Alonso.  I think this a leak to get the other teams to up their offers.  Just have to wait and see, but I don't see it playing out like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, soulfly said:

I find it hard to believe that Hahn would trade for Alonso if he didn't have a pretty good feeling that Machado would sign here.  Maybe I'm just being naive, but I would like to think that someone with his position and credentials wouldn't just blindly trade for him in the off chance it might help the front offices chance to sign another player.  They have put so much thought and effort into this rebuild that it seems asinine to make a trade for a player such as Alonso and waste any talent and money on him when there are other guys who can fill the same role for a fraction of the cost.

I mean, honestly, why make that trade unless you were damn sure Machado was going to sign here and that was one of his swing conditions?  Otherwise it just reeks of desperation and is showing that the front office can't properly manage a rebuild.

That said, I'll wait until the deal is signed and it's picked up by more than one person on twitter.  All things being equal, I think Alonso was brought in after a conversation with Machado or his agent, as one thing that he would love to do as a player is to play with Alonso.  I think this a leak to get the other teams to up their offers.  Just have to wait and see, but I don't see it playing out like this.

Great post! I agree. The Yonder deal makes zero sense unless it was used as leverage to land Machado. If he does sign with NY, Hahn and co will once again look damn foolish. It will obviously be played as a potential “flip at the deadline” but I’m not buying that. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic