Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

I know “final” offer was submitted, but all indication points to Machado does not yet have a verbal agreement with the Yankees. Now is the chance for the Sox pony up another $20-30 mil to turn the ship the other way. Right now every dollar Sox adds to their offer will cost Yankees more.

If this ends up being a ploy by Manny’s camp then so be it, we need to bite. We need a whale one way or another.

1 hour ago, shago said:

Wrong to be a fan of an organization and disappointed that they have owners who don’t spend when they’ve become billionaires off our support? Hmmmm.

If you believe all of this, yet continue to give it time/money/support/interest, that tells more about you.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

How delicious if he turns out to be wrong. For now, him trolling people seems unprofessional.

Somebody could be using him too. Maybe Machado is bummed the Yankees didn't offer him as much as the Sox did so he or agent has someone troll the Yankees though this guy. Who knows maybe some of these twitter guys get offered a bribe to tweet certain things. In a twitterverse full of attention seekers and phonies and tricksters and who knows what other unsavory characters until we wise up and stop giving out the clicks  all this crap is going to continue.

Seriously what good is it ? It's like a soap opera . Just show me the end result. It's fascinating and macabre and fun to discuss but to let it get you high or low might as well use a needle.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

How delicious if he turns out to be wrong. For now, him trolling people seems unprofessional.

He does have basically a 33% chance if he's choosing among 3 teams. 50% if he thinks Machado doesn't like Philadelphia. That leaves Sox and Yanks. Given that choice who would most east coast writers/bloggers/TV pundits pick ? Who would your average baseball fan pick ? Who would most White Sox fans pick ?

I don't know if wanting apologizes from those sending him hate tweets right now is trolling. Hell if I knew I was right I'd want apologizes too. But if he is wrong will he dole out an apology ?

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Either way it sucks. If they didn’t make the high bid, that is so White Sox. If they offered $50 million more and he turned that down, that has to start the alarms as well.

I’m curious as to how everyone thinks the Sox should handle negotiations. Let’s say they truly believe the Yankees will offer around $300 million. They want to beat that significantly, so they offer $360 million (a 20% higher offer). Then Manny’s agent comes back and says that the Yankees are willing to spend $350 million, and Manny will choose NY if the money is only $10 million apart. What do you do if you’re Hahn?

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m curious as to how everyone thinks the Sox should handle negotiations. Let’s say they truly believe the Yankees will offer around $300 million. They want to beat that significantly, so they offer $360 million (a 20% higher offer). Then Manny’s agent comes back and says that the Yankees are willing to spend $350 million, and Manny will choose NY if the money is only $10 million apart. What do you do if you’re Hahn?

Up the offer to 400 million and get it done. Ok...maybe that's not what Hahn would do but that's what I would do. Haha.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But that’s why paying a 20% premium on top of the Yankees offer if the Yankees offer is in the $35MM AAV range over 7 or 8 years is nuts.

I agree. I know it doesn't seem like a Greg-like take, considering my takes on Jerry's wallet and wanting free agents, but this is just one baseball player (and one who does have some red flags regarding his behavior on the field and comments about not running out grounders, etc). I won't be mad if we get Manny (at 40 mill a year? yikes) and I won't be mad if we don't get him. I "guess" if the Sox ask Manny's agent what the Yankees are offering and the Sox simply offer 20-50 million more, yes I'd suspect the Sox would get Manny. It seems rather silly to pay one human being that much. Again I don't really care either way, but I'm not a huge Manny guy. I would prefer Bryce Harper myself.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Up the offer to 400 million and get it done. Ok...maybe that's not what Hahn would do but that's what I would do. Haha.

Ok, then what if Manny’s camp comes back and says that they told Philadelphia the same thing and Phili upped their offer to $425. At what point do you think you are bidding against yourself? 

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you believe all of this, yet continue to give it time/money/support/interest, that tells more about you.

Odd that an admin continues to engage in personal insults, given recent repost, but particularly when they are so poorly thought out.

One can be a lifelong Sox fan, who doesn’t support current ownership and wish to have an owner who ran the franchise for championships rather his partners’ pocketbooks, particularly when they have profited so much. Plenty of examples of other franchises out there being run differently in any number of sports, particularly in major media markets...

Just because fans disliked Charles Comiskey doesn’t mean they were bad Sox fans. Same logic applies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox had to know with their performance and irrelevance, they were behind the eight ball bidding for these guys. But The thought there is nothing they can do is incorrect. They can offer enough money to make just about anyone a White Sox. If it took another $25 million why would JR care. Chances are he won’t be signing the checks 10 years from now. 

If they weren’t prepared to blow away the competition with a contract, they were fooling themselves thinking this could get done.

I thought it was only the most money that mattered. Not by how much the most money was.

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Ok, then what if Manny’s camp comes back and says that they told Philadelphia the same thing and Phili upped their offer to $425. At what point do you think you are bidding against yourself? 

I'd think that the Sox have a number that they won't go above during these negotiations. At some point the dollar amount becomes so absurd that it no longer makes sense. If it went up to 425 million, I would understand if the Sox were hesitant. That being said, I don't think it will be that high.

2 hours ago, soulfly said:

I mean, honestly, why make that trade unless you were damn sure Machado was going to sign here and that was one of his swing conditions?  Otherwise it just reeks of desperation and is showing that the front office can't properly manage a rebuild.

Well....
I thought it was silly, but they likely traded for Alonso to help lure Machado here.  I don't agree with much of what Hahn has done over the years (other than the main parts of the tear-down) but most seem happy with his work.

Edited by GreenSox

Its been too long now without anyone picking up on that Dan Clark tweet for it still be taken as gospel. Rosenthal, Heyman etc. have undoubtedly exchanged a few texts with their people after seeing it reported by a blue checkmark and their silence speaks volumes.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'd think that the Sox have a number that they won't go above during these negotiations. At some point the dollar amount becomes so absurd that it no longer makes sense. If it went up to 425 million, I would understand if the Sox were hesitant. That being said, I don't think it will be that high.

I agree with you. I’m just not sure when they should officially offer that max amount. There is almost 100% certainty that whatever their initial offer is, Manny will come back and ask for more, using the other teams as leverage. So are they going to reach that max offer at some point during negotiations no matter what? Or do you call their bluff at some point?

I guess that’s why I’m not the one being paid to make these decisions. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Either way it sucks. If they didn’t make the high bid, that is so White Sox. If they offered $50 million more and he turned that down, that has to start the alarms as well.

It could mean that Machado was truthful when he said he always wanted to play for the Yankees and no offer from the Sox, Phillies or Dodgers would change his mind.

34 minutes ago, shago said:

Odd that an admin continues to engage in personal insults, given recent repost, but particularly when they are so poorly thought out.

One can be a lifelong Sox fan, who doesn’t support current ownership and wish to have an owner who ran the franchise for championships rather his partners’ pocketbooks, particularly when they have profited so much. Plenty of examples of other franchises out there being run differently in any number of sports, particularly in major media markets...

Just because fans disliked Charles Comiskey doesn’t mean they were bad Sox fans. Same logic applies. 

Poorly thought out would be continuing to do something that you find misery in and get nothing out of, and then getting hurt feelings when someone doesn't agree with it. 

19 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Its been too long now without anyone picking up on that Dan Clark tweet for it still be taken as gospel. Rosenthal, Heyman etc. have undoubtedly exchanged a few texts with their people after seeing it reported by a blue checkmark and their silence speaks volumes.

No one has said it isn't true either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one has said it isn't true either.

They dont really need to, their silence says all that needs to be said. And they dont want to put themselves in a position where they can be proven wrong in the highly possible scenario where Machado does sign with NYY.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic